Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

Sorry if it's mentioned already, but saw this tidbit:

ASTON VILLA

Ins: Grant Holt (Wigan, loan), Ryan Bertrand (Chelsea, loan)

Outs: Stephen Ireland (Stoke, undisclosed), Jordan Graham (Bradford, loan), Michael Drennan (Carlisle, loan)

Ireland's now off the books?

Source

Yeah, Stoke signed Ireland permanently but he was already off the books as he was on loan there until the end of his contract so nothing really changes.

True. But for some reason i'm happier now he's gone permanently than I would be if we were still loaning him to them. No idea why.

In a way i am glad Lambert felt if he couldnt bring in the right player... he would prefer to wait than bring another Tonev in.

We have enough to stay up so hopefully he can go after the AM and DM in the summer.

Disappointed that Lambert didn't get a number 10 but as he has brought too many number 2's it may be a good thing.

We will not go down this season, our home form is dire but maybe the performance against the Baggies might be the start of some relief for those that attend.

I have zero faith in anyone at VP, Lerner is non existent, Faulkner is..........no I have no idea what this muppet does, Lambert just seems to be bumbling his way through and I cringe when the camera's do a shot of him on the line as he just looks lost.

I really don't care about signing loads of players as if they are of the "quality" of Tonev, KEA, Westwood, Lowton, Kozak, Bowery etc then what's the point? All are below average and will not improve the awful rubbish served up for the majority of games this season.

I'm guessing I'll be told to wait and see what happens in the summer, I will and I always will but as I have said I have zero faith in those that currently run our club to change things for the better. Watching a once great club turn into a nothing club before my eyes is what hurts most.

Massive over-reaction!

The level of expectation of some posters beggars belief - I've watched us play in Div 3, so 10th place (and on the rise) in the toughest league in the world is not a "nothing club". 

I've seen plenty of players in claret and blue worse than KEA, Westwood, Lowton, Kozak etc etc (not sure about worse than Tonev so far mind)

A slight improvement next season would see us top eight - if you expect us to win the league every year youre supporting the wrong team

Trying the bigger fan than you crap doesn't work against me as I also watched us in Div3 and have followed Villa all over the world.

There is a reason I support Aston Villa and not the ManU's of this world. I follow my local club through thick and thin but not C&B glasses.

I tell you what VillaCas I'll have a bet with you that next season we don't finish in the top 8 if Lerner, Faulkner and Lambert are still in charge as I know that the players that will be brought in the summer will not be good enough to make this happen. 100 quid to VIllaTalk enough to make you interested?

Some posters might think that with the inevitable sale of Benteke the money will be used to strengthen the squad but selling your best players to improve is at best a flawed plan and at it's worst will relegate this once great club.

Under these 3 Villa have turned into a mid-table (at best club) like the Norwich's, Stokes etc of this world i.e nothing clubs. My blood runs C&B though and I will continue to support Aston Villa until the day I die.   

• Like 4

I'm disappointed with the window!  I wasn't expecting much just one player to be honest to help with that creativity in midfield, which is so obvious that we need.  With merit payments for league position last season being 755k per place if I can remember correctly (maybe somebody can validate that) then surely a player that is more likely to improve us in a position we are woeful in can help secure a higher position i.e. 10th as we are currently in compared to maybe dropping a few positions.  I'm not saying this person will definitely improve us but they should and there is a higher chance they might because we havent got anybody else and losing 4 positions to 14th would cost $3m plus potentially an extra game on tv because we are more attractive to watch, would boost fans slightly as we all want a player in this position and now some fans are slightly deflated.  Continuing from the WBA game, the feel good factor, we now have somebody to look forward to watching, kick on for the second half of the season after a dull first half and get to summer in high spirits.....as it is we "go on!!!" 

I bet we're fine and the same old hystria as last year is shown up even worse this year. I also bet one team (at least) people are jealous of get relegated, as happened last year.

I also think Ryan Bertrand is one of the best signings of the january transfer window.

Exactly. Looking at some of the business done by teams mid table and below, there's a couple of decent signings but no one that I'd be massively bothered about.

Last January, QPR signed Jenas, Townsend, Remy and Samba and still went down. Newcastle signed Debuxhy, Sissoko, Yanga Mbiwa, Gouffran and Haidara and still finished below us!

Don't get me wrong, I'm a disappointed that we've not been able to add to the squad ( particularly a midfielder of some sort ) but either Lambert hasn't been able to get who he really wants or Lerner is not making the money available. None of us know what's going on in the background so we can only speculate.

As a club, we've been quilty of wasting huge amounts of money on players in the past so I'm happy to be a bit more patient with things nowadays. I think this summers transfer window will tell us a lot more about the direction of the club moving forward. We've got the numbers in the squad now, we've cleared out most of the deadwood, and I would hope that we go out and add 2-3 players of real quality. If not, then I will probably find myself more in agreement with the dissatisfied contingent on here.

Edited by Biskitt
  • Like 1

A window that made Doug look generous and if you're not happy you're told to go and support another team. Haha how things change after a free scarf and a coach journey.

I said it earlier, one massive positive is that this could signal end of Lerner coming soon.

Edit - never mind. You're not worth the stress.

Enjoy the rest of the season blow job.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

A window that made Doug look generous and if you're not happy you're told to go and support another team. Haha how things change after a free scarf and a coach journey.

I said it earlier, one massive positive is that this could signal end of Lerner coming soon.

I think he'd prefer Lerner to call a massive press conference - bring all the top reporters and come out and .................................................

Tell them that 'I've got  piece of paper here with names of the TYPE of players I am looking for (note I and not the manager)' and show them names like Batistuta and the like. An then do - F**k all. (just like Lerner in some peoples eyes)

And I know this actually happened.

What a man he was that Doug - he saved us single handedly you know back in 68.  ;)

We don't know why we didn't get anyone, maybe Lerner didn't give pocket money to Lambert or none of the targets Lambert wanted weren't available so they thought it's better not to buy players for just a sake of it. I'm not convinced at all that West Ham, Fulham, Cardiff and Crystal Palace did right buys.

Fulham threw a lot of money into player from Greek league and that's a big gamble on player who's just recovering from injury and there's no way knowing how well he adapts to the tempo and quality of premier league.

West Ham getting Italian players...who knows how they'll adapt, and Cardiff seems to have thrown a net and hopes for the best.

In summer DM and AM are top priorities, and if Benteke goes so is his replacement. That being said, I do hope Lerner would sell Villa for a good and filthy rich multi-super biollionaire.

Disappointed that Lambert didn't get a number 10 but as he has brought too many number 2's it may be a good thing.

We will not go down this season, our home form is dire but maybe the performance against the Baggies might be the start of some relief for those that attend.

I have zero faith in anyone at VP, Lerner is non existent, Faulkner is..........no I have no idea what this muppet does, Lambert just seems to be bumbling his way through and I cringe when the camera's do a shot of him on the line as he just looks lost.

I really don't care about signing loads of players as if they are of the "quality" of Tonev, KEA, Westwood, Lowton, Kozak, Bowery etc then what's the point? All are below average and will not improve the awful rubbish served up for the majority of games this season.

I'm guessing I'll be told to wait and see what happens in the summer, I will and I always will but as I have said I have zero faith in those that currently run our club to change things for the better. Watching a once great club turn into a nothing club before my eyes is what hurts most.

Massive over-reaction!

The level of expectation of some posters beggars belief - I've watched us play in Div 3, so 10th place (and on the rise) in the toughest league in the world is not a "nothing club". 

I've seen plenty of players in claret and blue worse than KEA, Westwood, Lowton, Kozak etc etc (not sure about worse than Tonev so far mind)

A slight improvement next season would see us top eight - if you expect us to win the league every year youre supporting the wrong team

Trying the bigger fan than you crap doesn't work against me as I also watched us in Div3 and have followed Villa all over the world.

There is a reason I support Aston Villa and not the ManU's of this world. I follow my local club through thick and thin but not C&B glasses.

I tell you what VillaCas I'll have a bet with you that next season we don't finish in the top 8 if Lerner, Faulkner and Lambert are still in charge as I know that the players that will be brought in the summer will not be good enough to make this happen. 100 quid to VIllaTalk enough to make you interested?

Some posters might think that with the inevitable sale of Benteke the money will be used to strengthen the squad but selling your best players to improve is at best a flawed plan and at it's worst will relegate this once great club.

Under these 3 Villa have turned into a mid-table (at best club) like the Norwich's, Stokes etc of this world i.e nothing clubs. My blood runs C&B though and I will continue to support Aston Villa until the day I die.

We're not going to agree so little point debating. You seem to think that unless we are constantly top (4?,6? 8?) then we are a 'nothing club'. I'm realistic enough to realise that over the course of time we will rise and fall as all teams do. I don't know if we will be top 8 next year or not but my point was that a small improvement is all that would be required for that to happen. I'll worry about Bentekes departure and his replacements when and if that happens

If you've watched us in div three then I'm really surprised that you can think that 10th in the PL is so shit

Still missing the infamous playmaker, but I hope Lambo goes out and scouts one for the summer instead of signing an old bloke he knew could do a job.

Window has been ok for us, still should have signed a centre half till the end of the season. Bertrand provides much needed competition for Luna and Grant Holt can come on and kick people.

• Like 1

Still missing the infamous playmaker, but I hope Lambo goes out and scouts one for the summer instead of signing an old bloke he knew could do a job.

Window has been ok for us, still should have signed a centre half till the end of the season. Bertrand provides much needed competition for Luna and Grant Holt can come on and kick people.

Tick........objective achieved.

Massive over-reaction!

Until some billionaire comes along that is unfortunately the reality

Football has changed massively over the last 30 years as no doubt you know. Gone are the days of a Derby County, Notts Forest or even ( although it hurts me to say it ) Aston Villa emerging with a great side to clinch the league title.

Now the money does all the talking, as soon as you unearth a talent it will get snapped up by the Man City and Chelseas. A lot of the time to just sit on the sidelines, but they've derailed the competition.

I don't see what more Lerner, Lambert and Faulkner can do in these circumstances?

Massive over-reaction!

We're not going to agree so little point debating. You seem to think that unless we are constantly top (4?,6? 8?) then we are a 'nothing club'. I'm realistic enough to realise that over the course of time we will rise and fall as all teams do. I don't know if we will be top 8 next year or not but my point was that a small improvement is all that would be required for that to happen. I'll worry about Bentekes departure and his replacements when and if that happens

If you've watched us in div three then I'm really surprised that you can think that 10th in the PL is so shit

I get your point but I can't agree as I see nothing currently going on at VP as a reason to believe that we aren't becoming a club that can't challenge in any completion let alone be serious about actually winning something.

If we were writing about any other club and not the one we both support I'm "guessing" if I wrote about them like I just wrote about Villa there wouldn't be many people not agreeing that they were a nothing club.

It's this that saddens me the most. You and I were lucky enough to witness Villa winning promotion, the league and the European Cup as well as several league cups but unless you were born over 32yrs ago (probably more like 40yrs) you will have no experience of this.

Is it acceptable for Villans to have to stand and watch the club they love not be able to compete while still paying their hard earned money for the privilege? I can't accept that this is our fate or at least I can't just say it's okay when I don't think it is.

Comments like with a slight improvement we can be top 8 doesn't excite me at all nor does watching a very poor midfield struggle to keep possession when Lambert has spent a fortune on players.

• Like 1

Any business would set a yearly budget, the January window should be simply for mopping up a loan signing or spending left over money from the summer.

In most cases bad planning leads to January purchases it is quite rare a club buys a player they have been tracking for ages and the chance comes to sign them.

Feel free to disagree

Well we must have planned badly because Lambert wanted an experienced player and a number 10 and by his own admission was looking at quite a few options.

Ah come on. I'm sure you had a great point to make.

FFS I hate this black and white thinking that seems to be prevalent here. It seems it's impossible for some posters to believe that many of us are neither seething or happy about the window.

Agree I find it amusing how some thing we can only spunk millions on wasters or sign 2 players on loan. No way there's anything between that.

The team is doin well any player we could have bought might not hav started off so well. We should concentrate on getting our first 11 out consistently and hope one or two fringe players hit sum form i.e Tonev Sylla & nzogbia & gardener come into mix at some point

In the summer we should get Bertrand on a permanent, ship out herd & baker & whoever else we can do with out

Â