Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

BJ10, everyone knows that players cost more in January. Would you rather we spent more money on a player now, or just waited 5 months and brought in Lambert's favoured target when the price is lower? There HAS to be a budget in place. We don't have a bottomless pit to dip into.

But you're assuming he's going to be fully backed next window? No one is asking for a bottomless pit but our spending is pretty pathetic.
I'm not assuming anything. I don't know what 'fully backed' means. I especially don't know what your version of fully backed means. What we do know is that Lerner DOES make funds available, even if it's not £30m plus. With that in mind, if Lambert's targets are going to be much more expensive this window, I'd rather we waited (or brought in a cheap option (Hoolahan) as a stop-gap).

I think it's hoolahan or nothing. Either way a pretty shit window when you think some have told us about 'the plan' to spend again.

Can you clarify what you mean exactly? Who said what and why are you measuring your expectation against what some random person on the internet said?
The defence of our lack of spending and cut backs has been that 'the plan' is to get finances sorted and then start to challenge again.

Grant holt, a decent loaned lb and wes hoolahan hardly paints a picture of a club trying to be competitive again. In fact once again it shows a club happy to survive while keeping costs down.

Spending big in the January transfer window doesn't really fit into a well thought out plan though. If we got Hoolahan in this window I would be happy with what we have done, but I think it is now or never for him. I would expect better quality in the summer.

Surely backing the manager is part of a thought out plan. Lambert has said he's identified 'number 10' type players and hasn't been able to do anything.

Which, again, would seem to suggest to some people that the club may be being lined up for sale?

Or else he thinks he can get them for half of what's being asked for now in the summer and has made a decision to wait.

I honestly believe that the constant rhetoric coming out of the club has brainwashed some into thinking that's it's now ok to have minimal expenditure even when threatened with relegation ( last January) and some of the high wage earners off the wage bill.

As BJ10 has stated there is no assurance at all referring to the manager's recent comments that this lack of investment won't continue indefinitely under Lerner until he can claw back most of his investment and then sell the club?

BJ10, everyone knows that players cost more in January. Would you rather we spent more money on a player now, or just waited 5 months and brought in Lambert's favoured target when the price is lower? There HAS to be a budget in place. We don't have a bottomless pit to dip into.

But you're assuming he's going to be fully backed next window? No one is asking for a bottomless pit but our spending is pretty pathetic.
I'm not assuming anything. I don't know what 'fully backed' means. I especially don't know what your version of fully backed means. What we do know is that Lerner DOES make funds available, even if it's not £30m plus. With that in mind, if Lambert's targets are going to be much more expensive this window, I'd rather we waited (or brought in a cheap option (Hoolahan) as a stop-gap).

Well HH said he wasn't able to bring in some top targets last summer. We know we offer low wages and now this window the manager has yet again indicated he hasn't been able to bring in certain targets. We've signed 2 loan players, one a struggling championship player. Would you class that as fully backed?

Lerner has made some available. Like I said its surviving on the cheap. When will those funds increase so we can aim for more?

Man U have just spent 37m on a player.

While I do not expect us to spend on that level there have been one or two players available on loan which could have improved us further if the right level of finance had been made available.

Man Utd have panic bought a player that (whilst world class) isn't the solution to their problems.

Unless you're saying you want us to do just that?

• Like 1

Spanish article linking us to that Barcelona kid, anyone translate?

http://www.elgoldigital.com/el-aston-villa-ofrece-dos-millones-por-la-joya-del-fc-barcelona/

Jean Marie Dongou, delantero del Fútbol Club Barcelona, ya ha mostrado su calidad a Europa entera. El ariete está demostrando cada vez que sale al campo, tanto del filial como del primer equipo, que tiene magia de sobra para estar junto con los Cesc, Messi, Xavi o Piqué. Y el instinto goleador que tiene, ha hecho que muchos clubes están apuntando el nombre del camerunés como una de las alternativas a las delanteras de sus respectivos equipos.

Quien sí que puja fuerte por él es el Aston Villa que, según informa el diario Metro, estaría interesado en hacerse con los servicios del canterano azulgrana. Los pocos partidos que ha disputado con el conjunto del Tata Martino, han sido suficientes como para querer llevárselo a la Premier, algo que no vería con malos ojos tras los pocos minutos que está disputando.

El equipo que dirige Paul Lambert estaría dispuesto a ofrecer dos millones de euros por él, una cifra en la que el Barcelona se pensaría a la hora de sentarse a negociar. Pero no lo tendrán fácil los ‘villanos’, puesto que clubes como Manchester City, Chelsea, Stoke, West Bromwich Albion, Reading, y también Torino, tirarán la casa por la ventana por Dongou. La última semana de las negociaciones se

Edited by Jimzk5

I think it says we offered 2M Euro for him.

It also mentions the Metro.

2M Euro for someone who Barca see as their next big thing, nope.

Probably a 2m loan fee until the end of the season, couldn't see PL being that stupid offering 2m for an up and coming Barcelona academy graduate who has just broken into the first team.

Probably a 2m loan fee until the end of the season, couldn't see PL being that stupid offering 2m for an up and coming Barcelona academy graduate who has just broken into the first team.

I thought that but that would equate to around 125K a week for an 18 year old striker!

Before we can go on paying bigger wages, to attract better payers, there are two things that need doing.

One, we need to get the remaining highly paid off the books, players like Given, Bent, Hutton and N'Zogbia.

Two, we need to expand the commercial side of the club to bring in more money. This is something that needs to keep expanding every year, just to be able to stand still. 

Until this is achieved, we will remain what we are now, a small club fighting for survival in the premiership.

The next step upwards, is to probably become what we ended up as under O'Neil, that is a club that supply's players to the top sides, for a profit. 

Pissed we couldn't compete with Cardiff. Wanted Zaha here, would have been a fantastic loan for the rest of the season. I had it on good info Lambert didn't want to pay the fee thinking it was extortionate.

I don't think it's a matter of failing to compete. It's the Solskjaer factor. He is always going to get preferential treatment with regards United loanees because of not only the length of time he played there, but they trust him with coaching up their youngsters as he did before going to Molde.

Much in the same way we're having difficulty signing Norwich players, Cardiff under Solskjaer will have an easier time signing United players. "It's who you know, not what you know" plays a role in football too.

Edited by Wes

Â