The Architecture Thread

CarewsEyebrowDesigner

Er? What's all this rubbish? Preferably from your home town, yo.

Here. Allow me to demonstrate the sheer majesty of Nuneaton

008029_9d959585.jpg

I like the station. I worked there for a few years at the turn of the century so I know it quite well and for a station on the very ugly West Coast Mainline it stands out as quite a pretty and very interesting building (particularly if you compare it to nearby WCML stations like Coventry, Stafford or Tamworth).  I like the frontage, I like the clock tower and I that you can clearly see the different eras of the station once you step inside.  Platforms 1-3 are quite different to platforms 4&5, which are the original buildings from the 1840s I think. Platforms 6 & 7 aren't as nice but perfectly functional and better than most new (as in built within the past decade) station platforms. 

I like the whole area around by Manor Court Road too. Some lovely buildings down there. I had to pop into Manor Park Road yesterday morning and I was reminded how nice the old Manor Hospital was. 

IMG_20131106_091641.jpg

hVmXVLf.png

hr9RrX0.png

My best friends mum was in there for three months in 1991 (I remember because that bloody Brian Adams song was #1 during her entire stay!) so we saw a hell of a lot of the place when we were kids. It puts the Eliot hospital to shame from an architectural point of view. I'd quite like to have a proper look around it again actually.

10729791494_d6d4400537_c.jpg

10730005983_40edb09495_c.jpg

10729723835_d7a5ec25db_c.jpg

for those of you that like it a bit trad......Lacock in Wiltshire earlier today

having paid £3 for the priviledge of parking I declined the £12 to get into the Abbey, so it was a long lense over the wall

ha! ha! stuff you National Trust

Is it illegal to photograph the insides of Greek synagogues (I think it was), I took this following photo and a few people looked like they were going to come and confiscate my camera and started to grumble in greek which I don't understand so I quickly left. On the outside it was constructed with small red bricks, on the inside it was so immaculate and impressive with lots of decorative antiquities and artistry. Light levels of the photo aren't the best but you can make out most of the details but it doesn't do it the justice it deserves.

1072699_476024322490570_937138131_o.jpg

If we're talking local - this is at the end of my street:

5707244489_04444ed08d_b.jpg

Worton Hall was the home of Isleworth Film Studios where many 40's movies were shot - most notably The Third Man.

It's now in a very run-down state and used as a driving examination centre. Apparently it's been acquired by developers so no doubt will be carved into flats before too long.

• 2 weeks later...

rcop6jM.jpg

Quite a few of the banks in Nuneaton are beautiful buildings.  This one is great. Bonus points go to my phone for being high tech enough to Stalin the crap out of people walking by and ruin my photo. :D

I took the kids around Windsor Castle on Sat... Surprisingly they loved it , had their audio guides on and wouldn't leave a room until the commentary had finished

Went into St George's chapel at the end and wow ...all the amazing things I've seen and one of the most beautiful buildings is on my doorstep

I doubt the photos you'll see on the interweb can do it justice

I took the kids around Windsor Castle on Sat... Surprisingly they loved it , had their audio guides on and wouldn't leave a room until the commentary had finished

Went into St George's chapel at the end and wow ...all the amazing things I've seen and one of the most beautiful buildings is on my doorstep

I doubt the photos you'll see on the interweb can do it justice

Oh how I'd dearly love to do an Alternative commentary for that place!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Lazarus thread!

I know not strictly architecture per se but I thought I'd post here.

Unesco announces new heritage sites around the world

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-44667197

Mountain monasteries in South Korea, a Saudi oasis and Mumbai's art deco buildings are among a number of sites to make it on to Unesco's World Heritage List.

Being listed gives them legal protection under international treaties.

The UN's cultural organisation, meeting in Bahrain, have been agreeing which landmark sites around the world need preserving for their cultural, historic or scientific significance.

Here are some of the chosen sites:

Ancient port city: Qalhat, Oman

Bibi Maryam Mausoleum in QalhatImage copyrightEPA Image captionBibi Maryam Mausoleum in Qalhat, Oman

In the east of Oman, the walled city of Qalhat was a bustling port in the 11th and 15th Centuries.

It is a "unique archaeological testimony" to the links between the east of Arabia and the rest of the world, says Unesco.

Hidden Christian sites: Nagasaki, Japan

Nokubi Church, NagasakiImage copyrightAFP Image captionNokubi Church, Nagasaki

The site on Kyushu island consists of 10 villages, a castle and a cathedral and were built between the 18th and 19th Centuries, at a time when the Christian faith was banned in Japan.

They reflect the earliest activities of Christian missionaries and settlers in Japan, and "bear unique testimony to a cultural tradition nurtured by hidden Christians", Unesco says.

Gothic and Art Deco architecture: Mumbai, India

Marine Drive seafront in MumbaiImage copyrightAFP Image captionArt deco buildings adorn Mumbai's Marine Drive

Having become a global trading hub in the late 19th century, Mumbai embarked on an ambitious urban planning project, constructing beautiful buildings for residential and commercial use.

The Victorian buildings are more classical constructions with balconies and verandas, while the Art Deco buildings are cinemas, flats and hospitals in an array of colours.

"These two ensembles bear testimony to the phases of modernization that Mumbai has undergone in the course of the 19th and 20th centuries," Unesco says.

Evolving cultural oasis: Al-Ahsa, Saudi Arabia

Al-Ahsa oasis in Saudi ArabiaImage copyrightEPA Image captionAl-Ahsa boasts more than two million palm trees

Al-Ahsa, in the eastern Arabian peninsula, is the largest oasis in the world and has been home to humans from the Neolithic era to the present day.

It also boasts 2.5 million date palms, gardens, canals, springs, wells, a drainage lake, historical buildings and archaeological sites.

Unesco called it "an exceptional example of human interaction with the environment".

Mountain monasteries: South Korea

Magoksa temple in GonjuImage copyrightAFP Image captionMagoksa temple in Gonju is one of the seven ancient temples

The Sansa mountain monasteries in the south of South Korea have been operating as centres of faith since the 7th Century.

The seven temples contain open courtyards with lecture halls, pavilions and ornate Buddha halls.

Unesco called them "sacred places, which have survived as living centres of faith and daily religious practice to the present".

Sassanid archaeological landscape: Iran's Fars region

Qal'eh Dokhtar site in FarsImage copyrightEPA Image captionQal'eh Dokhtar castle in Fars

The mix of fortified structures, palaces, and city plans - at eight archaeological sites across Fars province - date back to the era of the Sassanian Empire, from the 3rd to 5th Centuries.

The sites not only reflect the "optimised utilisation of natural topography", but also bear witness to the influence of Roman art and the Achaemenid and Parthian cultural traditions, Unesco says.

Iran country profile

Dry-walled settlement: Kenya

Kochieng enclosure at Thimlich Ohinga archaeological site in KenyaImage copyrightEPA Image captionAn entrance at the Thimlich Ohinga dry-stone wall settlement

The Thimlich Ohinga is the largest and best preserved dry-stone wall settlement, typical of Kenya's Lake Victoria region.

The settlement, situated north-west of Migori town, is thought to have been built in the 16th Century and appears to have served as a fort for communities and livestock.

Unesco called it "an exceptional example of the tradition of the first pastoral communities in the Lake Victoria Basin".

I've been to Oman and is really worth the trip.

Not so sure about the Mumbai architecture though! :D

• Like 1

Â