The Architecture Thread

CarewsEyebrowDesigner

Please forgive the indulgence of Eero Saarinen's revolutionary design of Dulles International airport

Washington_Dulles_International_Airport_

Or his more '50's futuristic' TWA Worldport at JFK, now partially demolished, but with the entry portion incorporated in the re-development.

Jfkairport.jpg

actually a few of the places people have mentioned are in my around the world album ...  (plug plug)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.166683300074607.42024.166557873420483&type=1&l=f70e789575

any facebook users feel free to "like" he needs a moral boost :)

Ahsan Manzil , Dhaka was quite impressive though could do with a bit of patch up work

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=517248441684756&set=a.166683300074607.42024.166557873420483&type=3&theater

Palace of the Parliament in Bucharest wouldn't look out of place in Vegas , the scale and size of it is impressive .. did a tour around the inside which is also just as impressive

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=453783208031280&set=a.166683300074607.42024.166557873420483&type=3&theater

and one of my favourites would be

Church of the Saviour on Blood, St Petersburg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=279982932077976&set=a.166683300074607.42024.166557873420483&type=3&theater

it was the inside that blew me away, its jebus' life story in mosaic, lots of mosaic!

church-of-our-savior.jpg

they also managed to build it on the exact spot where the tsar was killed (if you don't know the story, someone threw a grenade at his carriage, he stopped, got out and went to have a word with them...)

they also managed to build it on the exact spot where the tsar was killed (if you don't know the story, someone threw a grenade at his carriage, he stopped, got out and went to have a word with them...)

One of the first ever road rage deaths then?

Ah good man Stefan! I loved the Main Arts building in Bangor.

'The Unspoilt by Progress'....wow. That's a name I've not heard for a while. Naturally my eldest brother used to sneak in there for an underage pint back in the day!!

Now it's Morrisons, a pretty useful one as it happens....if only for the proximity to my parents house.

Any fans of Fletchers Walk on here?

Used to visit it when Highway 61 was there in the 80s.

I can't remember that place. You can now get a tattoo, buy an air gun and visit Wayland's Forge for roleplaying geekery all under one roof.

Not a Birmingham-based football club having an architecture thread is such a good thing tbh. A bit like a German club site having a "Jokes" thread, really (for, as we know, a German joke is no laughing matter [and national stereotypes obviously are]).

A while ago Mike Mooney (I think it was) posted a video of Brum city centre in the 1950's. If anyone thought the place looks the way it does because of WWII bombs, think again: Most of the lovely Victorian red brick stuff actually survived ze vor, only to be ripped up (seemingly) by English Stalinists over the next few decades. It was news to me, anyway.

• Like 1

Flinders Street Station here in Melbourne.

MCEC-Flinders-Street-StationF1.jpg

Manchester Unity Building. Beautiful art-deco style.

MELBOURNE_Manchester+Unity+Building_LR_P

And can't forget the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

MCG_20090925.jpg

I believe it's called the Beehive by the locals.

I thought it was officially called the hive, its a clever well designed building (the big concrete structure in front houses a pump that uses water from the river for cooling the building) it just looks horrific, I don't think its just down to the cladding either, the sports hall the other side of the river is ok

Also, this is the beehive. The Wellington Parliament House in New Zealand.

61684609.jpg

Yeah, Melbourne has some brilliant architecture.

(which is just as well, eh? ;))

• Like 1

I listen to a podcast about architecture and design called 99% invisible.  

ojvJv84.jpg

This is one of their promotional images. How many buildings can we get between us? 

Oh, and the show is great.  It's not all about buildings but a lot of it is.  And in no particular order, Ill link to a few of my favourite episodes (they are all quite short, typically 10-20 minutes)

The Arsenal of Exclusion (design weapons cities use to keep people apart) 

The sound of sport (sound engineering at sports events. Really interesting if you watch sport on TV)

Reversal of Fortune (People of Chicago vs the river. I didn't know that they raised entire streets in the city, but they did...)

The color of money (about why US paper money is probably crap compared to other countries)

Edited by The_Rev
  • Like 1

i'll admit i don't quite get it

n looks like that castle in the black forest but I thought that was hoherzollern or something like that

g everyone knows

w is watts towers

s is sears tower

t is Taipei 101

a is ankor wat

Edited by villa4europe

N is Neuschwanstein

J is the John Hancock Center in Chicago

401px-Hancock_tower_2006.jpg

...not to be confused with the vastly superior John Hancock Tower in Boston

349px-John_Hancock_Tower.jpg

The Chicago one was a botch from day one... they built the first 20 stories and realized that they had **** up and the original developer went bankrupt with the John Hancock Mutual Life Insurance Company (of Boston) stepped in and finished the project (life insurers, because they have such a long time horizon, tend to be the main lenders for skyscrapers).

S should be W (Willis Tower)

Edited by leviramsey

Â