The Architecture Thread

CarewsEyebrowDesigner

23 minutes ago, sidcow said:

If you're not accepting New Street Station, how about it's signal box? 

It's a beauty:

image.png.5d3b95fecebbcc198ffbe7cb4b77a6a5.png

the signal box is ok, its not the best, but yes it is brutalism

we’re doing as much damage as the Victorians did at the moment, demolishing heritage to chuck up crap designed to last as long as the finance needed to build it

• Like 1

16 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Nerd alert, I genuinely enjoy brutalism. I don’t really know much about New Street Station, but was it really brutalist?

I’ve had a bit of a google out of interest, and I’m not seeing any pictures of a brutalist railway station architecture. I even looked it up on Wikipedia and it names the architects but doesn’t suggest it’s brutalist. There’s a car park and an office block, they’re not really brutalist either they’re just shitty typical build. There is a brutalist signal box, it ain’t great, but it is deliberate intended brutalism.

Brutalism is gorgeous, anyone got any pictures of New Street as brutalism? Or are we just shorthanding shitty concrete 1960’s and brutalism as the same thing?

No it wasn't, I just conflated the two things in my post. My fault

• Like 1

I can see the argument for why Brutalism is great and cool and everything, but that style is why people think Birmingham is shit if we're honest.

Most people think it's ugly. Despite appreciating some Brutalist buildings (I spent many lectures in the Roger Stevens building below), I'd largely agree with them.

img_0881.jpg

This is really stuff for the architecture thread.

There’s rubbish in every style of building. 95% of everything the Tudors and the Victorians did was cheap shit that has long gone. It doesn’t mean Tudor architecture is shit. 

Buildings in general don't do well with pollution. In a time with less particulate matter in the atmosphere, and drones to scrub them up, the surviving Brutalist structures would be better appreciated, I think?

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

This is really stuff for the architecture thread.

There’s rubbish in every style of building. 95% of everything the Tudors and the Victorians did was cheap shit that has long gone. It doesn’t mean Tudor architecture is shit. 

There is, but even the good brutalist stuff is considered ugly by most people. That's the problem

Edited by Stevo985

Just now, Stevo985 said:

There is, but even the good brutalist stuff is considered ugly by most people. That's the problem

"Most people" is not a metric you should use to judge future cultural heritage

There are self cleaning concretes that have been on the market literally decades. They cost a bit more initially, so what happens is we use the cheap stuff and say there will be a cleaning budget. There’s rarely a cleaning budget.

But yeah, if you have the vision, you can have clean concrete:

spacer.png

But it’s not just self cleaning, it self cleans by breaking down the nitrous oxides from traffic pollution in to inert non polluting chemicals. They began using it as a road surface in Belgium and it reduced street level pollution.

You can also stick fibre in concrete, so it lets light through.

spacer.png

But again, we use the cheap stuff and declare we don’t like concrete.

We don’t look at a shit housing estate and say we don’t like bricks though.

• Like 2

On the subject of Brutalism and Birmingham Library, it was only ever a Brutalist building because of Government cuts, specifically Govt cuts to the funding of Birmingham in order to promote investment into other areas of the UK like the North East. The original design idea was that it should be clad in Portland Stone, if that had been the case I suspect it would never have been earmarked for demolition in the first place, it would never have been described by the uncultured as a dump and would have been considered an iconic building in Birmingham

• Like 1

A personal favourite of mine. 

Building or sculpture? Architecture or Art?

La Tete Carrée (Square Head) - The Library of Nice

Its claim is to be a number of firsts

• First building to be made entirely of aluminium
  • First building to be raised using Naval Dockyard technology
  • FIrst inhabited monumental sculpture

blockhead-building-library-and-roses-in-

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

On the subject of Brutalism and Birmingham Library, it was only ever a Brutalist building because of Government cuts, specifically Govt cuts to the funding of Birmingham in order to promote investment into other areas of the UK like the North East. The original design idea was that it should be clad in Portland Stone, if that had been the case I suspect it would never have been earmarked for demolition in the first place, it would never have been described by the uncultured as a dump and would have been considered an iconic building in Birmingham

It would have been an inverted pyramid in white marble in landscaped grounds. Instead it was made of concrete and had a bunch of other substandard buildings stuck around it (like the Adrian Boult and the Copthorne). I think the original vision for it probably would have been amazing.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sidcow said:

How about the Midlands ATE. It's fabulous 

image.png.821160be1ed17f9ab4e87e034ef0d202.png

They’ve not quite had the courage of their convictions for me there.

They either needed to continue the horizontal ribbon window all the way up, or if they we switching to vertical glazing for the tall section then **** go for it and have enough stories to make it vertical not square. Or at least not stop the glazing a whole storey from the top creating a clunky finish.

First few floors 8/10

Upper storeys 4/10

And then there is Muirhead Tower at Birmingham Uni if you've not had your full fill of gloomy.

muirhead2.jpg

8452922553_36fbde376a_b.jpg

image.jpeg

Edited by sidcow

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

The library is great reprentation of 3 different eras of architecture

Birmingham Central Library, UK: built in 1882, after a fire destroyed the  original building (1865-79). Demoli… | Birmingham city centre, Birmingham  city, BirminghamParadise Lost: Birmingham's Central Library and the Battle over Brutalism -  Failed ArchitectureLibrary of Birmingham / Mecanoo | ArchDaily

I like all of them. I used the first two, but not the third. 

Â