The Architecture Thread

CarewsEyebrowDesigner

• 1 year later...

Those pictures bring back all my childhood resentment of my dad (a carpenter) never building me a treehouse.

We were left to our own devices to build one at my grandma's on Sundays - with hindsight to get me, my sister and various cousins out of the way after lunch - and all we managed over about 5 years was to nail a wooden pallet to a tree and create a basic ladder to get to it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Those pictures bring back all my childhood resentment of my dad (a carpenter) never building me a treehouse.

We were left to our own devices to build one at my grandma's on Sundays - with hindsight to get me, my sister and various cousins out of the way after lunch - and all we managed over about 5 years was to nail a wooden pallet to a tree and create a basic ladder to get to it.

That ain't too bad. Still pretty cool that you constructed your own little place in the treetops.

I'm sure your Dad might have erected something more refined and spectacular, but there's certainly nobility in undertaking building your own.

• 1 month later...
On 29/08/2019 at 10:16, Sam-AVFC said:

We were left to our own devices to build one at my grandma's on Sundays - with hindsight to get me, my sister and various cousins out of the way after lunch

On 29/08/2019 at 22:21, A'Villan said:

I'm sure your Dad might have erected something more refined and spectacular

Hmmm

Colour is a funny old subjective thing isn’t it.

Working on a scheme at the moment where the Client wanted something bright and punchy and vibrant. Well I’ve been caught out with that before where I’ve been asked for bright and what they actually really meany was magnolia but call it something else.

I took along some samples, the feedback was that it wasn’t punchy enough. So I did that thing you never ever do. In a rush, I specified colours without samples and to make it worse, picked off a laptop screen.

Anyway, to cut to the chase I don’t know what I’ve spec’d, but it’s on the walls the Client has seen it and bloody loves it! I’m going up there Thursday to see what I’ve done. I think we’re looking at some office space in some primary colours.

Lesson: not everyone wants shades of grey / green with a chalky Matt finish. Some people still like blue and red and yellow.

9 hours ago, peterms said:

A thread

if you're interested in that kind of thing then try this - 

https://de.scribd.com/doc/128807278/The-Chinese-Dream-a-society-under-construction

the books 10 years old now so maybe some of the future talk in it has lost its way, I chose Chinese construction economics for my dissertation and loved this book, somewhere in there it does detail their urban planning, how and why the Chinese happily did just put all the ring roads in and elevate the walkways around the roads etc and gives a decent explanation of the history as to how they got there as well as how the Chinese economy works and its stunningly presented

Edited by villa4europe

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/10/2019 at 08:04, villa4europe said:

if you're interested in that kind of thing then try this - 

https://de.scribd.com/doc/128807278/The-Chinese-Dream-a-society-under-construction

the books 10 years old now so maybe some of the future talk in it has lost its way, I chose Chinese construction economics for my dissertation and loved this book, somewhere in there it does detail their urban planning, how and why the Chinese happily did just put all the ring roads in and elevate the walkways around the roads etc and gives a decent explanation of the history as to how they got there as well as how the Chinese economy works and its stunningly presented

Thanks, looks interesting.  Hard to get to grips with the scale of what they've been doing in China...

yeah it is, how they've generated the economy via the special tax zones and the resulting human migration is incredible, when I visited the amount of projects, especially the number of slip form towers going up was mental, in chengdu they were retrospectively putting in a whole new subway system* under the existing city and the vast majority of these Chinese cities are on shit ground too, more or less everything is on piles with seismic isolators

*first line opened in 2010, its now longer in track length than the London underground

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
On 03/11/2013 at 22:36, chrisp65 said:

Trellick Tower, Paddington, London. Possibly my fave building anywhere, past or present.

Closely followed by....

Isokon

a statement on how to live......

Boom!

Â