The Architecture Thread

CarewsEyebrowDesigner

9EixuTv.jpg

The Gherkin was nearly a total disaster, but its high profile meant it got the money and the spin to get it sorted on the quiet.

It simply wasn't waterproof, water pissed inside when it rained.

After months of failed snagging, a very expensive German team was brought in to sort it.

• Like 1

Old photographs of places I know are a bit of an obsession of mine. Here's some lost buildings of Brum.

King Edward's Grammar School, New Street. Roughly where the Odeon is now I think.

king-edward-vi-grammar-school-in-new-str

The old Snow Hill station.

SnowHill20.jpg

And the most criminal in my opinion, Mason Science College, demolished to build the old library and paradise forum.  :bang:

h9s2.png

This post makes me very sad.

There are four architectural crimes that I know of. Sadly, John Madin (RIP) must feature as, although it was seen as ahead of it's time, his buildings were truly disgusting and despite the efforts of the 20th Century Society deserve to be demolished. So number one is the wrecking of the science collage for the monstrosity of Paradise Forum.

The second is New Street Station. New Street and the Central Library are two things that have resulted in decades (or certainly approaching my 30's, all of my lifetime) of Birmingham jokes. Woe betide anyone that takes the piss out of Manchester's cack buildings. But Birmingham? Well, we made a joke out ourselves, didn't we?

The third is linked with New Street Station. The flattening of Euston station was an absolute crime. John Betjeman might have failed to protect Euston, but thank God he succeeded in stopping the demolition of St Pancras - which the Government WANTED to do.

The fourth is probably the most bonkers of out all of these.

Pennsylvania Station in New York City. That, my friends, is NOT progress.

hong kong is a good one for looking at old lost buildings, personally I love the skyline but there are so many stunning (mainly European style) buildings that were demolished for it

hong kong club -

HKClub_1928.jpeg

Hong-Kong-Club-e1361547081464.jpg

Edited by villa4europe

Used to really like this building for some reason, nostalgia I suppose and also cos I fugging hate OneStop.

1636-0.jpg

Also, absolutely love Selfridges, just brilliant, even if it does piss off OAPs (most of them anyway).

The Great Western Arcade is another gem in Birmingham. Runs (roughly) over the tunnel that connects Snow Hill and Moor Street stations. 

13fZ6ZG.jpg

JvCTzBd.jpg

I also like Shugborough Tunnel, near Stafford. The odd thing about this place is you will probably never see it unless you are a train driver. 

MBo3cwK.jpg

• Like 1

5540529585_c458a543e0.jpg

Any fans of Fletchers Walk on here?

Nope. I think I went to that Spanish place in 1998 though. Maybe different owners.

Another mugging hotspot. When the old library is demolished they need to sort access to Broad Street. The current options are the above or being funnelled through Paradise Forum which is a nightmare when the Cherman market is busy.

I noticed the monstrosity that is Five Ways Shopping Centre is finally being demolished. I don't know what's being built there but hopefully it'll make that end of Broad Street more palatable.

1604870_fc990b68.jpg

:thumb:

Edited by coda
  • Like 1

I noticed the monstrosity that is Five Ways Shopping Centre is finally being demolished. I don't know what's being built there but hopefully it'll make that end of Broad Street more palatable.

1604870_fc990b68.jpg

Two points here...

1. BAKERS, THE NIGHTCLUB FOR THE MILLENNIUM.

Shut in 2001? Might be a year or so out, anyone?

2. XL'S

Alternative underage heaven.

I will add at the time that I was the one underage.

2. XL'S

Alternative underage heaven.

I will add at the time that I was the one underage.

Ha Ha, saw some great couples in there.

Enormous leather clad Amazons partnered with wispy little goths that looked like they'd blow away in the breeze.

1604870_fc990b68.jpg

Is that the building that looked like somebody had been sick down it behind the tree branches?  That whole area was a concrete mess.  There was a decent pub not far from there, 'The Unspoilt By Progress" that I used to frequent as a student, that was in a 1960s concrete monstrosity of a building.   A few pints in there followed by a curry in 'Regards' on Broad Street.

Flinders Street Station here in Melbourne.

MCEC-Flinders-Street-StationF1.jpg

Manchester Unity Building. Beautiful art-deco style.

MELBOURNE_Manchester+Unity+Building_LR_P

And can't forget the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

MCG_20090925.jpg

I believe it's called the Beehive by the locals.

I thought it was officially called the hive, its a clever well designed building (the big concrete structure in front houses a pump that uses water from the river for cooling the building) it just looks horrific, I don't think its just down to the cladding either, the sports hall the other side of the river is ok

Also, this is the beehive. The Wellington Parliament House in New Zealand.

61684609.jpg

Â