The Architecture Thread

CarewsEyebrowDesigner

Ah, the 'Duke Nukem Forever' of architectual wonders. How long has the construction been, wasn't it around 1992 they started? Put the glass in start of this year IIRC

it was open when i went in 2012 ... well when i say open , we weren't allowed in it but we were told it was open  , just curiously nobody was staying there either :)

The Kempinski chain are rumoured to have bought it now !!

worst in Worcestershire is quite easy

the-hive-from-train.jpg

I'm moving pretty much next door to that horrible thing next week in those apartments to the left of it.

I was recently stood on top of the Malvern hills, and you could see this thing glistening in the sun. Whoever designed it was clearly having a laugh at Worcester's expense.

I believe it's called the Beehive by the locals.

You people think your great with your fancy modern architecture and your hundreds of years old marvels. But you don't have the architectural wonders that are the Big Things:

coffs_harbour_big_banana.jpg

Big-pineapple-3.JPG

big-merino11.JPG

The-Big-Lobster-Kingston-SE-SA.jpg

You name it, if there's a primary industry there'll be a big thing for it somewhere around Aus.

We even have the Big Dickhead:

602798-shane-watson.jpg

• Like 3

I like the nuneaton Co-Op one, very much of it's time.

I did very well salvaging solid brass art deco 'elephant ear' door handles from branches of a High Street 'brand' that wanted to be more funky.

The brass handles had lasted 80 plus years and were just gorgeous, I'd imagine the one's they replaced them with are probably broken by now, or the wrong shade of black to be funky.

Yep was about to say the same about the co-op, a bit more to please the eye than just functionality, in fact the only thing wrong with it is the modern plastic shite on the ground floor

We used to have a very well thought of Art Deco building that was a shop downstairs and a ball room/dance hall upstairs. Sh'Beatles and that played there back in the day, more importantly though, I used to work in the downstairs bit. Unfortunately even that was not enough to stop it from being torn down and replaced by a brand spanking new Lidl

3001.jpg

And, yes, once upon a time the upstairs was changed in to a lazer quest type effort thing. funn~

Edited by hogso

Here's a St Botolph's church known locally as the stump, from my birthplace, Boston. It's an impressive building for the size of the town and shows how important the town was in the not too distant past.

6345107315_eba46623f7_o.jpg

Boston+Stump+%282%29.JPG

Here's some of the architectural landscape I witnessed in Bulgaria. The hillside houses are in Veliko Tarnovo, the rest are from Sofia. I didn't take any photos of the communist style apartment towers, although despite being ugly they had their own kind of charm

580591_457771657649170_531903701_n.jpg

8444_458618300897839_115425101_n.jpg

463602_457750974317905_958832243_o.jpg

965600_457750854317917_1306343098_o.jpg

976740_457751230984546_1276365225_o.jpg

964022_457751090984560_1482365366_o.jpg

Edited by villaguy

I believe it's called the Beehive by the locals.

I thought it was officially called the hive, its a clever well designed building (the big concrete structure in front houses a pump that uses water from the river for cooling the building) it just looks horrific, I don't think its just down to the cladding either, the sports hall the other side of the river is ok

im currently working next door on the technology college

Dubrovnik is wonderful if you love all that ol' stuff.

Dubrovnik,%20Croatia.jpg

The alleyways are great, but the main street is something else

dubrovnik-streets.jpg

The shops aren't allowed facias which keeps the character immaculate, did you take the main street photo yourself? Got a nice angle in the shot

Edited by villaguy

I like the nuneaton Co-Op one, very much of it's time.

I did very well salvaging solid brass art deco 'elephant ear' door handles from branches of a High Street 'brand' that wanted to be more funky.

The brass handles had lasted 80 plus years and were just gorgeous, I'd imagine the one's they replaced them with are probably broken by now, or the wrong shade of black to be funky.

Yep was about to say the same about the co-op, a bit more to please the eye than just functionality, in fact the only thing wrong with it is the modern plastic shite on the ground floor

We used to have a very well thought of Art Deco building that was a shop downstairs and a ball room/dance hall upstairs. Sh'Beatles and that played there back in the day, more importantly though, I used to work in the downstairs bit. Unfortunately even that was not enough to stop it from being torn down and replaced by a brand spanking new Lidl

3001.jpg

And, yes, once upon a time the upstairs was changed in to a lazer quest type effort thing. funn~

Here is a great bit of local history for you.   The Beatles played that very building on the same day as they released their debut single. 

http://youtu.be/_xuMwfUqJJM

The Rolling Stones played there in '63, twice in the same day.  They played a matinee to a bunch of schoolkids who threw food at them. Bill Wyman actually mentions the gig in his autobiography. :lol:  

Edited by The_Rev

Old photographs of places I know are a bit of an obsession of mine. Here's some lost buildings of Brum.

King Edward's Grammar School, New Street. Roughly where the Odeon is now I think.

king-edward-vi-grammar-school-in-new-str

The old Snow Hill station.

SnowHill20.jpg

And the most criminal in my opinion, Mason Science College, demolished to build the old library and paradise forum.  :bang:

h9s2.png

• Like 1

I like nyugati station more personally ..

Add the mattius temple as well and you can see why Budapest is Europe's most beautiful city

There is something about Stations isn't there ... Guess they were designed with the idea that it could be your first experience of a city / country

The station in Damascus is eye catching with elaborate stained glass windows ... Worth a google

• Like 2

Â