The Architecture Thread

CarewsEyebrowDesigner

This is a big chunk of the housing solution:

spacer.png

factory build modular

Doesn’t have to be a sea container, although the advantage is that the module already exists so the factories exist, the trucks exist, the roads exist.

I’m currently on a couple of different modular buildings and make it in a factory and then taking it to site and plugging it in is just so much better in every conceivable way, safety, quality control, all of it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

The boy loves  brutal architecture , so when we went to Uzbekistan last year we stayed at the “famous”  hotel Uzbekistan … we took a picture of him in front of it holding up a copy of a book called soviet architecture in Central Asia and then sent it to the author .. the author  sent me a nice reply saying how happy it had made him :) his instagram page has some great photos that will be of interest (  https://www.instagram.com/ilcontephotography?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet&igsh=ZDNlZDc0MzIxNw==)

IMG_8080.jpeg

Yeah, that’s a ten, that’s setting the bar that is.

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Yeah, that’s a ten, that’s setting the bar that is.

I don’t think it even comes close to the library in Pristina (Kosovo) in the WTF stakes !! 

IMG_4815.jpeg

• Like 1

Tricorn House is a brilliant building and a prime example of better Birmingham buildings from that period which will be here for future generations to enjoy

af0cc96d07f44c8ad6245a89de29282a-primary

Office to lease in Tricorn House, Hagley Road, Birmingham, B16 8TP, B16

And of course the  supreme Alpha Tower

The_Alpha_Tower,_Birmingham_-_DSC08757.J

2.%20Alpha%20Tower%20-%20Exterior2_Photo

Winston Churchill House is another about to undergo a refurb so will be around for several years to come

2560px-Corner_building,_Ethel_Street_abd

20 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

This is a big chunk of the housing solution:

spacer.png

factory build modular

Doesn’t have to be a sea container, although the advantage is that the module already exists so the factories exist, the trucks exist, the roads exist.

I’m currently on a couple of different modular buildings and make it in a factory and then taking it to site and plugging it in is just so much better in every conceivable way, safety, quality control, all of it.

bloke I met in the DPRK in 2012 was just launching a start-up a project similar to this this  , it was a shipping container for urban hydroponic farms with advanced monitoring, automation, and climate control capabilities 

seems to be taking off out in the middle east for him 

• Like 1

Just now, The Fun Factory said:

Architecture and morality

Sounds like an album title by some ghastly 80s synth band. 

• Like 2

Another personal favourite, went to a gig in here once. I drive passed it very often. Shame no-one has ever found a good use for it but they can’t demolish it as it’s listed (or they can but this isn’t Birmingham)

The Tate and Lyle Sugar Silo

image.png

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bickster said:

Another personal favourite, went to a gig in here once. I drive passed it very often. Shame no-one has ever found a good use for it but they can’t demolish it as it’s listed (or they can but this isn’t Birmingham)

The Tate and Lyle Sugar Silo

image.png

Sweet. 

• Haha 1

On 08/02/2024 at 11:27, Stevo985 said:

I can see the argument for why Brutalism is great and cool and everything, but that style is why people think Birmingham is shit if we're honest.

Most people think it's ugly. Despite appreciating some Brutalist buildings (I spent many lectures in the Roger Stevens building below), I'd largely agree with them.

img_0881.jpg

Looks like a Transformer with fake eyebrows and a giant erection 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, sne said:

Looks like a Transformer with fake eyebrows and a giant erection 

A top grade 'ice rink'

• Like 2

Â