The Architecture Thread

CarewsEyebrowDesigner

I dunno what the name for it is, but Preston bus station, which when I moved up here was a dirty decrepit hole got cleaned and fettled a few years ago and is now much more, er, “not unlovely” is kind of brutalist

IMG_3622.webp

12 minutes ago, blandy said:

I dunno what the name for it is, but Preston bus station, which when I moved up here was a dirty decrepit hole got cleaned and fettled a few years ago and is now much more, er, “not unlovely” is kind of brutalist

IMG_3622.webp

Considered a brutalist masterpiece 

21 minutes ago, bickster said:

Considered a brutalist masterpiece 

Quite a low bar. I mean when it was grubby it just looked and was…ugly. Dirty, smelly, unfriendly, cold, unloved and unlovely. After they cleaned and fettled it, the white concrete layers look nicer, meritorious in the sun, but beyond that, it’s still lacking real kind of warmth or anything more than basic utility. There’s nothing beyond the facade to make you want to be there. 

1 minute ago, blandy said:

Quite a low bar. I mean when it was grubby it just looked and was…ugly. Dirty, smelly, unfriendly, cold, unloved and unlovely. After they cleaned and fettled it, the white concrete layers look nicer, meritorious in the sun, but beyond that, it’s still lacking real kind of warmth or anything more than basic utility. There’s nothing beyond the facade to make you want to be there. 

It’s a bus station and multi-storey car park, it’s meant to be utilitarian. It's there to serve two purposes. Apparently it’s so well built, they didn’t have to replace much. It still has the Pirelli rubber floors and believe it or not there’s wood in there, hardwood imported from Africa. The council let it get dirty (cuts and all that) that was its major problem, it just wasn’t looked after.

16 minutes ago, bickster said:

It’s a bus station and multi-storey car park, it’s meant to be utilitarian. It's there to serve two purposes. Apparently it’s so well built, they didn’t have to replace much. It still has the Pirelli rubber floors and believe it or not there’s wood in there, hardwood imported from Africa. The council let it get dirty (cuts and all that) that was its major problem, it just wasn’t looked after.

I mean I know what it is. I know and am familiar with its utilitarian nature. It’s just a low bar (IMO) to have it down as a masterpiece. It should be preserved and maintained, but…

Kaknästornet in Stockholm is pretty sweet. Radio tower that used to be open to the public up until a few years ago.

.The_Kakn%C3%A4s_Tower%2C_Rootsi_2016_jaanuar.jpg.3079703.jpgDSZ07467.JPG.3199663.JPGDSZ07460.JPG.3199649.JPGDSZ07454.JPG.3199628.JPGDSZ07459.JPG.3199642.JPG

Edited by sne
  • Like 4

Just now, bickster said:

Musique Concrete would be more appropriate :D 

Depending where the concrete came from could also be good for Garage. 

Â