What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

18 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I moved jobs and gave my car back, now I have the hated task of finding a car.

I've got a car allowance of £4,650.

Never done leasing, which has always seemed shit to me.

I'm looking at SUVs because of the 2 car seat using kids.

Prefer electric as my old company fitted a charge point, but not essential.

Don't really give shit about makes/models.

I hate cars, they're annoying, but useful.

I've looked and can't find anything that doesn't annoy me.

Try and find me something, otherwise I'll block you all (I probably won't)

Anything premium electric these days is decent, I'd go Kia or Hyundai if you want SUV, although you'll probably be on a waiting list.

If its standard fuel and your not bothered, its gonna be Ford Peugeot or Vauxhall.

On 02/05/2022 at 13:37, sidcow said:

Mrs Sidcow noticed on her A6 that the rear brake calipers had no covers. She was worried they had been nicked, it certainly doesn't look right. 

A bit of googling reveals this is something Audi are doing, probably to save money. It looks shit, this is not a cheap car, what are they thinking? 

The interior generally isn't as good as her previous A6, all feels a bit more down market, and interiors are meant to be Audi's big strength.  They need to be careful. 

I'm wondering if this is across the board in just about every department.

Our six month old Kona Electric has already got a significant paint chip on the bonnet from (I think) a stone hitting it, and lesser one on the door from something similar.

My previous cars (Alfa, Hyundai, Skoda) were pretty immune to this sort of thing with their multi-layer baked on paint finishes.

Are car companies cheaping out on things now that seemingly "don't matter" but in fact actually do matter after a period of time?

47 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Our six month old Kona Electric has already got a significant paint chip on the bonnet from (I think) a stone hitting it, and lesser one on the door from something similar.

My previous cars (Alfa, Hyundai, Skoda) were pretty immune to this sort of thing with their multi-layer baked on paint finishes.

Are car companies cheaping out on things now that seemingly "don't matter" but in fact actually do matter after a period of time?

Probably but as someone said earlier VW Audi group have a massive Dieselgate claim to pay off so are probably cutting corners harder than others. 

• Like 1

On 08/05/2022 at 10:57, Lichfield Dean said:

Might be down to water based paints being used in most modern cars.

• 4 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Dom_Wren said:

mav-2.jpg
mav3.jpg
anonymous picture hosting

Got rid of mustang, become a right family man. For maverick 2022 40mpg!!!

Why are pick-ups so enormously popular in the USA? Its something that totally seperates USA from Europe.  Unless I was a builder or farmer I can think of absolutely no reason to have one as a primary form of transport. 

A guy over the road from me has one but he does work in construction. They are as rare as hens teeth over here. 

I suppose we've got a halfway house with people going nuts for SUV's although I don't get that either. 

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Why are pick-ups so enormously popular in the USA? Its something that totally seperates USA from Europe.  Unless I was a builder or farmer I can think of absolutely no reason to have one as a primary form of transport. 

A guy over the road from me has one but he does work in construction. They are as rare as hens teeth over here. 

I suppose we've got a halfway house with people going nuts for SUV's although I don't get that either. 

Yeah, this truck is the smallest of the market. Haul a trailer or trash or whatever you want in the bed. So much easier logistically to move stuff around and believe me its a god send for every day life!

Just now, Dom_Wren said:

Yeah, this truck is the smallest of the market. Haul a trailer or trash or whatever you want in the bed. So much easier logistically to move stuff around and believe me its a god send for every day life!

Yeah, I totally understand that they would be useful for lugging stuff around (speaking as someone who has paid a few visits to the tip lately.  

I was just wondering why the gigantic difference in popularity between the continents.   Seems like almost a way of life in America. I think they're very popular in Australia too.  Maybe it's our lack of space and congested roads but that doesn't seem to stop people aspiring to own Range Rovers and large SUV's.   People in The UK are generally more than open to copying whatever is going on in America but this one thing just hasn't ever taken off. 

Possibly the weather maybe and not wanting your stuff getting wet but again I don't remember seeing many particularly around Mediterranean countries. 

16 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yeah, I totally understand that they would be useful for lugging stuff around (speaking as someone who has paid a few visits to the tip lately.  

I was just wondering why the gigantic difference in popularity between the continents.   Seems like almost a way of life in America. I think they're very popular in Australia too.  Maybe it's our lack of space and congested roads but that doesn't seem to stop people aspiring to own Range Rovers and large SUV's.   People in The UK are generally more than open to copying whatever is going on in America but this one thing just hasn't ever taken off. 

Possibly the weather maybe and not wanting your stuff getting wet but again I don't remember seeing many particularly around Mediterranean countries. 

We don’t have guns so kids aren’t scared to steal shit out the back at a traffic light

I always thought it was related to fuel costs, the comparatively low mpg on them mean they're not practical as work vehicles whereas in the states the lower fuel prices mean they can get away with it

Your average white van man in the UK can't afford to run one 

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

There’s a lot more room to drive over here. The vast majority of European cities were built well before cars and America (minus the East Coast) isn’t the same way. I shudder at the thought of trying to drive a truck on the roads in Italy. England isn’t as bad, tbf.

I personally would never own a traditional truck because they guzzle gas, but Ford is introducing an electric F150, and I would love one. Even if you don’t typically haul stuff around, they come in massive handy occasionally.

• Like 1

Petrol in Florida seemed to be about $4.75 per (US) gallon which is pretty much bang on £1 a litre.

We’d be showering in the stuff if we could get back to those good old days.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

In for a PV-3 Lloydz Garage tune and Indian motorcycle performance air filter friday to go along with my Vance Hines exhaust, I got the lowest HP Indian as possible, but this will deffo give a bit of pep to it!

Evening fellow VT’ers, apologies for the lengthy post in advance.

looking for advice re buying a used car. I recently passed my test at the ripe old age of 30 after 9 years of learning. (Long story)  and am looking to buy a car towards end of year/ beginning of next when my son starts childcare.

im going to be saving up so I can potentially buy a car outright or make up the difference with finance.

couple of bits of advice. I’m eyeing a Vauxhall Astra as it seems to have all that I’d want from a car (heated seats, pretty economical, 5 doors, apple car play, price range etc) has anyone had a post 2017 one and how did you find it?

Also caught in 2 minds on whether I should pay a bit more for for a newer one with lower miles, or an older one with slightly higher mileage which I could fit a double dinn stereo with screen to get apple car play.

I don’t envisage changing the car until it dies a death so I’m more inclined to go newer but more expensive as I’d think it would last longer but I’m unsure. This would be my first car so all advice is welcome 😁

7 hours ago, Loxstock92 said:

Evening fellow VT’ers, apologies for the lengthy post in advance.

looking for advice re buying a used car. I recently passed my test at the ripe old age of 30 after 9 years of learning. (Long story)  and am looking to buy a car towards end of year/ beginning of next when my son starts childcare.

im going to be saving up so I can potentially buy a car outright or make up the difference with finance.

couple of bits of advice. I’m eyeing a Vauxhall Astra as it seems to have all that I’d want from a car (heated seats, pretty economical, 5 doors, apple car play, price range etc) has anyone had a post 2017 one and how did you find it?

Also caught in 2 minds on whether I should pay a bit more for for a newer one with lower miles, or an older one with slightly higher mileage which I could fit a double dinn stereo with screen to get apple car play.

I don’t envisage changing the car until it dies a death so I’m more inclined to go newer but more expensive as I’d think it would last longer but I’m unsure. This would be my first car so all advice is welcome 😁

Not sure about the Astra but I have worked on an older Corsa 2011 and it was a nightmare. A headlight bulb change was a pain in the arse ( bumper removal) and the water pump replacement was next to impossible. If you have DIY in mind do some research.

Edited by tinker

Â