What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

5 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I'm guessing this means they must have a petrol station at either end of the island.

In exactly 3 weeks from today, that will no longer concern me, as I'll be back to being stuck in queues on the M6 for the rest of my sad existence.

• Like 1

I borrowed a brand new Discovery over the weekend and I have to say I was pretty impressed with it, well the way it drove and with the interior and the whistles a bells, but not so much with its looks. 

The way the seating works is pretty clever and the touch screen is impressive too, performance from the 3.0 TDV6 is brisk to say the least and you can tell the car is plenty lighter than the previous model, even though it feels bloody huge!

One thing I'm not keen on is the styling, mainly the rear end with the weird offset number plate. I can see the point, but the execution doesn't work IMO. In fact, I don't know anyone at work who likes it and we see hundreds of the things.

It's a great car, probably the cleverest car we've produced yet, but if they were giving cars like these away, I'd choose an XC90, simply to make opening the curtains in the morning a pleasure.

2 hours ago, turnbull said:

I borrowed a brand new Discovery over the weekend and I have to say I was pretty impressed with it, well the way it drove and with the interior and the whistles a bells, but not so much with its looks. 

The way the seating works is pretty clever and the touch screen is impressive too, performance from the 3.0 TDV6 is brisk to say the least and you can tell the car is plenty lighter than the previous model, even though it feels bloody huge!

One thing I'm not keen on is the styling, mainly the rear end with the weird offset number plate. I can see the point, but the execution doesn't work IMO. In fact, I don't know anyone at work who likes it and we see hundreds of the things.

It's a great car, probably the cleverest car we've produced yet, but if they were giving cars like these away, I'd choose an XC90, simply to make opening the curtains in the morning a pleasure.

I've got a disco, old style and frankly I think its a far nicer looking motor but the tech and design inside the new models are impressive, I do think they've made an error on the look though.

It feels to me that they've gone towards styling that is more appreciated in other markets, which may well they sell more who knows, I do think they've spoilt the look though.

32 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I've got a disco, old style and frankly I think its a far nicer looking motor but the tech and design inside the new models are impressive, I do think they've made an error on the look though.

It feels to me that they've gone towards styling that is more appreciated in other markets, which may well they sell more who knows, I do think they've spoilt the look though.

I agree, the last Disco will be remembered as a classic. It does everything on road, off road, can pull a boat and looks the part outside a nice restaurant.

The design did start to look tired but the new one just misses the mark for me. I wonder how long till the boot is sorted out. 

Just now, Genie said:

I agree, the last Disco will be remembered as a classic. It does everything on road, off road, can pull a boat and looks the part outside a nice restaurant.

The design did start to look tired but the new one just misses the mark for me. I wonder how long till the boot is sorted out. 

I don't think it did/does look tired personally, I think they could have continued tweaking it for quite some time.

But then I don't get a few of their decisions of late, like scrapping the defender....

Then there is the convertible Evoque..... no, no, no, no...

9 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I don't think it did/does look tired personally, I think they could have continued tweaking it for quite some time.

But then I don't get a few of their decisions of late, like scrapping the defender....

Then there is the convertible Evoque..... no, no, no, no...

That last Disco ran for 12 years from 2005 to 2017, that's an age by modern standards and was only tweaked on the meantime. No major "refresh" of the design. 

Defender had to go unfortunately, the legals caught up with it in the end. LR spent a fortune on it keeping it going that last few years with upgrades to the ABS and traction control etc but things like it's crash performance made it unviable and LR tried every trick in the book to keep it going, trust me it certainly wasn't a decision to cancel it for the sake of it.

Evoque convertible was a vanity project for the outgoing Engineering director, makes very little sense but it's the worlds first compact SUV convertible. It's a nightmare to build and I heard a rumour it might end early. I had one for a few weeks and it was lovely to drive and a real genuine head turner. Can't go down the motorway picking your nose!

My complaint about the last discovery was the technology inside, i.e. entertainment, on the high end models was shit. Incredibly complicated to understand what you were doing.

On 29/07/2017 at 19:27, Risso said:

Picked this up on Thursday. It's a bit quick.

IMG_6134.JPG

are-you-kidding-me.jpg

slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

I like my Ferraris (who doesn't?).  Even for a Ferrari they're supposed to be an absolute rocketship.  Godspeed young man.  Godspeed.  As we say over here - "Well may she wear".

14 hours ago, Genie said:

That last Disco ran for 12 years from 2005 to 2017, that's an age by modern standards and was only tweaked on the meantime. No major "refresh" of the design. 

Defender had to go unfortunately, the legals caught up with it in the end. LR spent a fortune on it keeping it going that last few years with upgrades to the ABS and traction control etc but things like it's crash performance made it unviable and LR tried every trick in the book to keep it going, trust me it certainly wasn't a decision to cancel it for the sake of it.

Evoque convertible was a vanity project for the outgoing Engineering director, makes very little sense but it's the worlds first compact SUV convertible. It's a nightmare to build and I heard a rumour it might end early. I had one for a few weeks and it was lovely to drive and a real genuine head turner. Can't go down the motorway picking your nose!

Cheers, didn't know most of that. Do you work for/with Land Rover?

And it's the worlds first for a reason! :)

Any truth in the tale that LR sold off their stock of Defenders on mass at discount to the likes of JCB who stored them and are now selling them at large profits?

48 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Cheers, didn't know most of that. Do you work for/with Land Rover?

And it's the worlds first for a reason! :)

Any truth in the tale that LR sold off their stock of Defenders on mass at discount to the likes of JCB who stored them and are now selling them at large profits?

I might do ;)

Evoque is first, I believe BMW and Audi have their own versions in the pipeline.

Theres no way LR would have sold them on the cheap outside the business as their value was always going to rise and demand was very high for the last model year. A lot of staff bought them with their staff discount and have them tucked away appreciating nicely.

They're very funny animals (LR Defenders) actually, if you're brutally honest, they are shit. They are heavy, noisy, unrefined, slow, uncomfortable and very basic. It gets away with murder too because someone buys a £30k Evoque and he'll happily scream in the dealers face if there's a squeak from the drivers seat between 40 and 42mph when in 4th gear on a hill, Defender owners pretty much never go back to the dealer. Only if the car refuses to start (which is rare). Nowadays you can buy a Nissan Navarra or Toyota Hilux etc for similar money that will do everything a defender can do in a far more comfortable place.

I'd 'guess' a replacement will come along in a year or so that will look very similar but bang up to date.

• Like 2

On ‎29‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 19:27, Risso said:

Picked this up on Thursday. It's a bit quick.

IMG_6134.JPG

must admit I'm not usually a fan of Ferrari , but that's a nice looking car  .... now you're back on the mainland I look forward to a spin in at a home game this season

Â