What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

10 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I work for Mercedes Benz, an with the introduction of Ad-Blue systems on cars (which is basically pig piss fluid), I can tell you now, N0x is hardly present in emissions. Certainly not enough to start worrying about our future. Its all fake news.

With the introduction of full electric vehicles in the future, Where do you think all these millions of dead batteries are going to end up??

I'm assuming you work in sales rather than engineering?

mercedes_benz.thumb.png.8596df26397e590a985a09fd22321795.png

http://equaindex.com/equa-air-quality-index/

17 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

ahh, ok cheers @Risso

My old man's got a diesel vw and he's been told some weird formula of every 300 miles he has to take it up to 60mph for 15 minutes or some such.

Trouble is, knowing my old man that's exactly what he'll do. If they're half way to Asda and it's on 299 miles they'll by off up the M4 and he will drive it at exactly 60mph for exactly 15 minutes then carry on to Asda.

That's to clear the DPF. Another wondrous invention to attempt to get diesels to not chuck out quite as much crap as they normally would.

The diesel particulate filter (DPF) gets clogged up with particulates, requiring you to rag it every now and again to clear it out.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

ahh, ok cheers @Risso

My old man's got a diesel vw and he's been told some weird formula of every 300 miles he has to take it up to 60mph for 15 minutes or some such.

Trouble is, knowing my old man that's exactly what he'll do. If they're half way to Asda and it's on 299 miles they'll by off up the M4 and he will drive it at exactly 60mph for exactly 15 minutes then carry on to Asda.

Diesel particulate filter. My dad had a Passat diesel and after a few years once a week he needed to run it up the motorway to burn off the crap in the filter or otherwise it would go into limp mode. And eventually you can't 'regenerate' it at all.

Horrible things. Only work with vehicles that are regularly running for hours at time, shorter journeys completely **** them and therefore the car itself.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

?

It's not illegal.

But your emissions allowance is higher if your vehicle has a fuel powered heater in them, because you need extra emissions for that to work.

So some LR vehicles have fuel powered heaters in them, to get that extra allowance, but they're not used.

They get the extra allowance for free, basically.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's not illegal.

But your emissions allowance is higher if your vehicle has a fuel powered heater in them, because you need extra emissions for that to work.

So some LR vehicles have fuel powered heaters in them, to get that extra allowance, but they're not used.

They get the extra allowance for free, basically.

I'm surprised to see that ingenium powered JLRs aren't near the top of the EQUA list, with how much they've got invested in that engine. Better than lots of Japanese and Korean stuff though. It seems VAG have gotten their act together the most. 

as someone who's not particularly bothered by engines etc but does a couple of hundred miles a week, what do people think is the best entertainment system going at the moment? my favourite thing about my bmw is the idrive connected drive thing with the screen and dial, thats probably going to be the most important thing when i change

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

as someone who's not particularly bothered by engines etc but does a couple of hundred miles a week, what do people think is the best entertainment system going at the moment? my favourite thing about my bmw is the idrive connected drive thing with the screen and dial, thats probably going to be the most important thing when i change

The audi one is terrible for me in terms of connectivity to my phone, but I think that's down to my phone.  I need to experiment with the other half's iphone to see if it's better

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I've got the SEAT navi system plus with full link which seems very good all round.

Bluetooth with the phone works well. The touch screen is capacitive and is responsive. It has a sensor so when you move your hand near, extra options come up. The Android auto stuff is excellent. Not strictly the stereo but the QI charging phone 'bin' is brilliant.

• Like 1

I guess this is the Driving thread, so I'll put this here. Did my Threory test last week. Favourite question - what does the following sign mean;

55F2526_13089_1.JPG

A ) TOILET

B ) T-Junction

C ) No Through Road

D ) No Right Turn

I had to try very hard to stiffle laughter in the exam room.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

ahh, ok cheers @Risso

Ugh, if he's got a DPF filter and isn't doing the 'right kind of driving' then I wish him the very best of British. 

They are the stuff of nightmares. I got my Mrs out of a Corsa with a DPF filter, it was horrific. 

30 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Do I go through the hassle of selling my car on Auto trader or part ex it?

Get a part ex value and then check Evans Halshaw's version of WBAC and see what they offer. Then check AT for comparable models. It's down to how much you're prepared to swallow in terms of a loss vs your time and hassle. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, darrenm said:

I'm assuming you work in sales rather than engineering?

mercedes_benz.thumb.png.8596df26397e590a985a09fd22321795.png

http://equaindex.com/equa-air-quality-index/

I don't work in sales no! 

The top 4 cars are the Euro 6 engines that run Ad-Blue systems so are way lower than the other figures which are euro 5 an below. These Euro 5 engines are being fazed out in the next 2-3 years and don't run on ad blue or the new emissions systems.

The Nox can be reduced further on these new engines if required, but may sacrifice performance, although it won't be noticeable with normal driving.

There ya go smarty pants :)

• 3 weeks later...

did a test drive finally in the BMW Hybrid 5 series ...  dealer offered me a small discount around £3,500 ( but the government grant is £2,500 of this)

Went on car wow this morning , first 2 offers were around £7500 off the retail , this afternoon I got an offer £10,400 off the retail price ... I've emailed to check it isn't a typo but if its correct then Wow , I'm impressed ... shame I have to pay tax based on the P11D value but as it's only 9% I guess I'll live with that :)  ...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, darrenm said:

I hate buying cars. Just have a hard price and **** all the wheeling and dealing.

I mentioned to someone today that one of the main pleasures of having finally got a new car for the last month has been that I'm no longer looking for a car or dealing with dealerships.

Anyway, first month done, about 1200 miles in and the fuel economy on a family sized 1.6 petrol automatic is....65mpg

Well chuffed with that.

Â