What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

2 hours ago, Nath182 said:

Picked up my new car on Wednesday and took out the GAP insurance, they were very eager to make a point that they were not mis-selling the policy and also made us sign some paper work to agree that we understood the benefits of it etc. I thought it was a bit weird at the time.

There's a storm brewing and it's tightening some sphincters! 

• 3 weeks later...

Every now and again I get the desire to buy a bit of 80's nostalgia. Namely a fully loaded Granada. My Dad used to have one when I was little, a gold one with beige velour interior.

The daddy was the 2.8i Ghia X Executive, but as rare as hens teeth. I think the one below is the non exec model.

Mint one is about £8k - £10k

3011308348_7cdae0944a_z.jpg?zz=1

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Every now and again I get the desire to buy a bit of 80's nostalgia. Namely a fully loaded Granada. My Dad used to have one when I was little, a gold one with beige velour interior.

The daddy was the 2.8i Ghia X Executive, but as rare as hens teeth. I think the one below is the non exec model.

Don't do it. The nostalgia lasts about 5 minutes until you realise that they're shit (most old cars in general). It's like playing an old Megadrive game.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Xela said:

The angles, the boxyness... love that car, my dad had one too, many UK family trips many many memories. 

I also check out for these on EBay occasionally and Cortinas too. Touching moment about five or six years ago when I was staying at my folks for the weekend and he had his MOT. Drove behind etc and pulled in, but outside of their premises, you know to pick him up after he left his. He suddenly starts waving frantically, w t f, the way someone would if they were pissed at 3am hailing a taxi. 

In the end as it turns out, some apprentice type lad had a beige / gold Granada and was sat having lunch in his car and my dad basically spent about fifteen mins chatting with this lad... old guy , on the same level as this seventeen year old. Talking the same language as they went over every detail together. This thing was mint and not even the fact this kid had lowered it and put massive deep dish alloys on did it detract it for the old geezer. 

Still though this is a classic car. I used to love sliding from left door to right , right to left door on the leather back seat every time a corner was turned, and ah memories the frantic window-wind motion when the family Alsatian puked amid the journey to Devon or wherever. 

• Like 1

On 2017-4-28 at 12:33, Nath182 said:

Picked up my new car on Wednesday and took out the GAP insurance, they were very eager to make a point that they were not mis-selling the policy and also made us sign some paper work to agree that we understood the benefits of it etc. I thought it was a bit weird at the time.

Bought a car on Saturday and the dealer offered me GAP Insurance at a cost of £399.00 to which I laughed at to be honest. Did a quick check and I can buy it to cover me for 4 years for just over £100.00.

Now will someone at somepoint take the insurance companies to the courts as the need to actually buy extra insurance to cover the gap between what they pay out and the cost to buy a like for like replacement surely proves that there is something wrong somewhere.

31 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Bought a car on Saturday and the dealer offered me GAP Insurance at a cost of £399.00 to which I laughed at to be honest. Did a quick check and I can buy it to cover me for 4 years for just over £100.00.

Now will someone at somepoint take the insurance companies to the courts as the need to actually buy extra insurance to cover the gap between what they pay out and the cost to buy a like for like replacement surely proves that there is something wrong somewhere.

I don't think that's the "gap" that you have to cover.

The gap is the gap between what your car is worth, for which you should get the full pay out, and what you have left to pay on your finance deal.

So if you write your car off and it's worth 5 grand, so the insurance company pay out 5 grand to buy a new car, but you've got £6,500 outstanding on the loan, then you have a "gap" of £1500 to cover. That's what you're insured for, unless I've understood it wrongly?

9 hours ago, Midfielder said:

The angles, the boxyness... love that car, my dad had one too, many UK family trips many many memories. 

I also check out for these on EBay occasionally and Cortinas too. Touching moment about five or six years ago when I was staying at my folks for the weekend and he had his MOT. Drove behind etc and pulled in, but outside of their premises, you know to pick him up after he left his. He suddenly starts waving frantically, w t f, the way someone would if they were pissed at 3am hailing a taxi. 

In the end as it turns out, some apprentice type lad had a beige / gold Granada and was sat having lunch in his car and my dad basically spent about fifteen mins chatting with this lad... old guy , on the same level as this seventeen year old. Talking the same language as they went over every detail together. This thing was mint and not even the fact this kid had lowered it and put massive deep dish alloys on did it detract it for the old geezer. 

Still though this is a classic car. I used to love sliding from left door to right , right to left door on the leather back seat every time a corner was turned, and ah memories the frantic window-wind motion when the family Alsatian puked amid the journey to Devon or wherever. 

I always used to puke on the annual drive to Lymington to catch the ferry to the Isle of Wight. I don't remember going in the 'Granny' but plenty of journeys in a bottle green Morris Marina with black vinyl seats. Within 10 minutes of leaving, i'd spray the car with sick.I think that is when I heard the firs swear words from my Dad.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

So if you write your car off and it's worth 5 grand, so the insurance company pay out 5 grand to buy a new car, but you've got £6,500 outstanding on the loan, then you have a "gap" of £1500 to cover. That's what you're insured for, unless I've understood it wrongly?

Exactly that.

It is though something that is coming under increasing attention with some calls for its selling to be regulated.

On 14/05/2017 at 14:18, Xela said:

Rover SD1 3500 VDP, a memory from my youth.  I wonder?

• Like 1

On 19/04/2017 at 21:46, NurembergVillan said:

This better?  Think I figured it out.

1597564.gif

See that turd there. Won't know til tomorrow if I've got to have whole engine replaced. Breakdown guy said yeah you've definitely done the engine etc but it's parked outside a garage who won't know anything about it til they open and hopefully they can do the work or even want the work or I'll have to arrange flatbed to move it! 

Either cambelt went or the engine itself went. Dammit. Gonna be expensive poss close to 3k :( look after it oil everything regular service , boll---! Agh! Not even close to cambelt interval either nor nowhere anywhere near a whole engine replacement, Jesus Christ

thread title. What do you drive. 

Answer. Nowt. Or possibly a hire car for god knows how long or rural bus service! 

Anger! Misery! Rant over

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, blandy said:

IMG_3131s.jpg

Got rid of my hairdressers car and got something a bit more practical this time.

That's what I drive at the moment, except mine's grey.

Absolutely love it.

42 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That's what I drive at the moment, except mine's grey.

Absolutely love it.

I was actually looking for a golf, but found this one for less, so it seemed too good to refuse. Really like it so far, just need to work out how to use the electronics and gizmos.

Thinking of getting the Scirocco R TSI 280, yes I know the Golf is quicker and cheaper but I prefer the design 10 fold. It still does 0-60 in 5.5s so hardly slow!

Only thing is it's a DSG (Semi-Auto) and I have only ever driven manuals. I'm going for a test drive next week but what are people's views on the flappy paddle gearbox and the Scirocco in particular?

Â