What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

Didn't you hear Trump there is no such thing as global warming :ph34r:

but yea in all seriousness as diesel driver think it is a dirty fuel hazardous en masse. I only have to look in my rear view mirror when I floor it , to see that is bad for environment (no im not burning oil , but I do leave a trail of black dirty exhaust behind me( which by the way,,:;;

i do actually enjoy GIVING to some convertible driver who give me "attitude" here have some, choke on this fvcko 

but that's besid e the point I agree with this lad above despite being complicit me edit sorry ; @darrenm I actually agree with this lad but can't put it into words. Like given take it easy Darren M 

Edited by Midfielder

33 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

Didn't you hear Trump there is no such thing as global warming :ph34r:

but yea in all seriousness as diesel driver think it is a dirty fuel hazardous en masse. I only have to look in my rear view mirror when I floor it , to see that is bad for environment (no im not burning oil , but I do leave a trail of black dirty exhaust behind me( which by the way,,:;;

i do actually enjoy GIVING to some convertible driver who give me "attitude" here have some, choke on this fvcko 

but that's besid e the point I agree with this lad above despite being complicit me edit sorry ; @darrenm I actually agree with this lad but can't put it into words. Like given take it easy Darren M 

Dude, if I knew what you were on about I'd give it a like :-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

I have no idea my fiend. I dread waking up. But I agree with you. Eloquence and reasoning is gone I'm not sure it'll be back tomorrow either. Best I just do that Homer Simpson gif with the bush. Sorry dude

Go sleep it off my friend

11 hours ago, Midfielder said:

My pickup gets decent MPG and Is tax about 180 200 can't remember not everyone's cup of tea but workhorse, reliable, occqsi Bally something need doing but all ok.

Would love to see it. Got any photos? 

:ph34r:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, choffer said:

Would love to see it. Got any photos? 

:ph34r:

Yeah it's back a few pages. There was even a spinny picture of it someone did as I uploaded sideways accidentally , even though it was correct orientation on my screen. 

also, it still shows as vertical not the wrong way round on my device. Just clicked back it's page 115 I think

Edited by Midfielder

I bought a cheap but cheerful £1500 peugeot as my first car at the end of last year. It's old, and slow, but it's **** lime green and I love it.

Regrettably, it turns out everyone's right and french electronics aren't great. The ABS has shit itself today, they've found another couple of issues and I'm looking at a £1k+ bill. I'm not sure if fixing it is throwing good money after bad, or if it's better to spend it knowing it has a new working ABS and will have just been serviced and MOTed, rather than taking my luck with another second hand car that could turn into a money pit itself. Or look in to spending more on a newer model cheap hatchback

Yes, I know people on here are driving around in cars worth tens of thousands :P

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I bought a cheap but cheerful £1500 peugeot as my first car at the end of last year. It's old, and slow, but it's **** lime green and I love it.

Regrettably, it turns out everyone's right and french electronics aren't great. The ABS has shit itself today, they've found another couple of issues and I'm looking at a £1k+ bill. I'm not sure if fixing it is throwing good money after bad, or if it's better to spend it knowing it has a new working ABS and will have just been serviced and MOTed, rather than taking my luck with another second hand car that could turn into a money pit itself.

Yes, I know people on here are driving around in cars worth tens of thousands :P

I recently had an expensive bill myself, I got different quotes from garages that people I know swear by. Long story short, I ended up having the work done for nearly two thirds cheaper than the first quote I got. 

Yes in some cases, good mechanics don't come cheap. But in other cases, ask your friends , family, colleagues for garages who they know don't take the P or especially don't pull tricks say like they charge for labour time they simply haven't worked etcetc. My point is, if you now know that is definitely the problem, get more quotes from trusted garages. Is it driveable at all, despite the issues? Take it in see what they say. 

if it's generally in good condition otherwise, me, I'd be inclined to keep it after the work is done, assuming you can maybe get the quote cheapened slightly or even massively. Google the problem and the car and you might see what it has cost other people recently. Good luck fella

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Regrettably, it turns out everyone's right and french electronics aren't great. The ABS has shit itself today, they've found another couple of issues and I'm looking at a £1k+ bill. I'm not sure if fixing it is throwing good money after bad, or if it's better to spend it knowing it has a new working ABS and will have just been serviced and MOTed, rather than taking my luck with another second hand car that could turn into a money pit itself. Or look in to spending more on a newer model cheap hatchback

It's the perpetual problem. Do I spend £1,000 fixing this issue and then hope I have a few months trouble free, or do I spend £200 / £250 a month for ever on something 'better' and hope it never goes wrong.

Unfortunately, there's no universal correct answer.

On 10/08/2017 at 22:58, darrenm said:

And will kill 1 child per mile with asthma, lung cancer, heart disease etc. 

The MPG isn't really the big deal with hybrids, it's the environmental and health impact. A hybrid will emit no NOx, and almost no co2. Old diesels are incredibly bad for emissions and need to be taken off the road as soon as possible.

What about the creation of the batteries and the gas/coal/oil that gets burnt charging them? ;)

Hybrid cars still have a combustion engine and will still produce NOx (on top of all the energy used to create the batteries and then charge them).

1 hour ago, Genie said:

What about the creation of the batteries and the gas/coal/oil that gets burnt charging them? ;)

Hybrid cars still have a combustion engine and will still produce NOx (on top of all the energy used to create the batteries and then charge them).

Been over this a few times before. The creation of the batteries does cause some pollution in the smelting but the batteries can then be recycled many times over. This is nothing compared to the health emergency that is happening mainly because of old diesels.

Diesels emit co2 which is bad for the environment, particulates and various Nox which are bad for health. Hybrids produce almost no particulates and Nox and much lower co2. The electricity in full hybrids is made purely from the engine, no external charging.

First week under my belt in a hybrid, a couple of hundred miles of combined commuter traffic and 77mph motorway driving. Took it from petrol warning light, put 4 gallons in, to petrol warning light back on again. In round numbers, it's done 63mpg.

I expect that figure to come down as the novelty wears off, I stop driving like a granny, and stop watching the battery graphic and my driving style statistics (65% economic / 32% normal / 3% aggressive, apparently).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

First week under my belt in a hybrid, a couple of hundred miles of combined commuter traffic and 77mph motorway driving. Took it from petrol warning light, put 4 gallons in, to petrol warning light back on again. In round numbers, it's done 63mpg.

I expect that figure to come down as the novelty wears off, I stop driving like a granny, and stop watching the battery graphic and my driving style statistics (65% economic / 32% normal / 3% aggressive, apparently).

See how it fairs when you drive into the Valley's top dogging spots.

I work for Mercedes Benz, an with the introduction of Ad-Blue systems on cars (which is basically pig piss fluid), I can tell you now, N0x is hardly present in emissions. Certainly not enough to start worrying about our future. Its all fake news.

With the introduction of full electric vehicles in the future, Where do you think all these millions of dead batteries are going to end up??

30 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

With the introduction of full electric vehicles in the future, Where do you think all these millions of dead batteries are going to end up??

Aye, they're not good presently, but electrolyte research is serious business.

Fortunately it's out of the energy industry's hands now, device manufacturing is on it.

The Israelis with charging, the Americans with high charge density sugar/enzyme solutions and the Chinese here...

Most batteries that power wearable and implantable medical devices are rigid and don’t move with the body. Researchers are developing flexible batteries and energy-storing supercapacitors to overcome that limitation. However, current ones use electrolytes containing strong acids and bases or toxic and flammable organic solutions. If these materials leaked in or on the body, they could cause harm.

Researchers in China have now created bendable sodium-ion batteries (SIBs) with biologically friendly aqueous electrolytes.

Yonggang Wang, Huisheng Peng, and coworkers at Fudan University built batteries with a Na0.44MnO2 cathode and a carbon-coated NaTi2(PO4)3 anode in contact with a sodium-ion solution. The team tested a variety of biologically friendly solutions as battery electrolytes: sodium sulfate; intravenous saline solution; and a cell-culture medium containing amino acids, sugars, vitamins, and a sodium salt.

Chemical & Engineering News

9 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

For those of us less clued up on cars, what's ad blue pig piss?

Stuff you have to put into new diesels to reduce the emissions; my Range Rover Sport needs it.  The Land Rover garage 'forgot' to tell me about it when I bought it, and they also 'forgot' to tell me that with their three year service plan, they have to top it up for free for you.  It's a right pain in the arse.  It's an 18L reservoir, but with no gauge to tell you when it's low.  Then you get a warning light when it is low, but have to fill it up within 200 miles, or it won't let you restart the engine.,   There's also the diesel filter as well, which when it gets a bit full you have to do a Keanu Reeves style "Speed" bit of driving, ie drive at 50mph for at least 30 minutes to clear it, which is virtually impossible on the IOM.

• Like 1

ahh, ok cheers @Risso

My old man's got a diesel vw and he's been told some weird formula of every 300 miles he has to take it up to 60mph for 15 minutes or some such.

Trouble is, knowing my old man that's exactly what he'll do. If they're half way to Asda and it's on 299 miles they'll by off up the M4 and he will drive it at exactly 60mph for exactly 15 minutes then carry on to Asda.

Â