World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

9 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It's the whole "if u don't like it then dont go lol" thing, which is utterly ridiculous.

Probably the same people who say "If you don't love this country go and live elsewhere". 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bobzy said:

The "so much" is the backing down element more than anything else.

Boycotting the tournament is an absolute pipe dream - I don't understand why people jump to this side of things.  It's the whole "if u don't like it then dont go lol" thing, which is utterly ridiculous.

The better option is to go, highlight the problems and difficulties and hope that the nation (and possibly region?) manage to tone down some of their extreme views with regards to certain sections of society.

The better option is that the decent countries in the world kicks FIFA out of their part of things. We can then have our own, actual tournament where people haven't been decapitated for loving a man, needing your father to sign off if you want to go abroad or a place where your wife and workers are your property.

And no Gianni, I'm not speaking about Norway in 975, in case you think that's a good whataboutism to bring up you ginger freckly man.

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, maqroll said:

It's amusing to me that so much is being made over armbands. 

More needs to be made of it, but it shouldn't be down to the players. With the banning of the armband Qatar are effectively saying it's their right to be homophobic and Fifa are accepting of it, and in my opinion they're now enabling it. It shouldn't be down to teams to make a statement and wear the armband regardless. Homophobia is wrong no matter which country you're in and Fifa should acknowledge that.

By focusing on the armband we're missing the point of what it stands for and Fifa's duty to support it.

We know their opinions and way they are are wrong. These people are dinosaurs and cave men. I cant see what the fa could have done. 

Lets face it if the Qataris dont want to change they wont whether we like it or not. We do things the right way we accept things. They might hav emoney but they certainly do not have class and all the money in the world cant make your national team any good. Your football teams as bad as cyprus and we dont have money 😂

37 minutes ago, bobzy said:

The "so much" is the backing down element more than anything else.

Boycotting the tournament is an absolute pipe dream - I don't understand why people jump to this side of things.  It's the whole "if u don't like it then dont go lol" thing, which is utterly ridiculous.

The better option is to go, highlight the problems and difficulties and hope that the nation (and possibly region?) manage to tone down some of their extreme views with regards to certain sections of society.

Agree with this. Boycotting the tournament helps no one. It would just ruin it for thousands of young England supporters who have no idea what’s going on beyond the football. 

Instead it can be ruined by them getting humiliated  in the knock outs instead like so many of us have had to go through over the years. 

This is a genuine question. Apologies for the ignorance.

But why do we have FIFA. Why does it have to be the FIFA WC? I know it's always been done this way but we're talking about one of the most corrupt organisations in the world here. Why do they have to organise it?

Can't countries just organise their own tournament or break away?

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

This is a genuine question. Apologies for the ignorance.

But why do we have FIFA. Why does it have to be the FIFA WC? I know it's always been done this way but we're talking about one of the most corrupt organisations in the world here. Why do they have to organise it?

Can't countries just organise their own tournament or break away?

i guess because FIFA are the governing body for all football.

I agree they need to be replaced with a new governing body though (a non corrupt one).

23 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Causing issues with me and my Mrs because last week I had to explain to her what a world cup was...

I'm going to watch 4 games of football a day and I'm probably going to drink while doing it

Her mind is well and truly blown

What planet has she been living on? 

Â