Aleksander Tonev

HalfTimePost

Mail saying we've actually made a bid for Tonev, also some tidbits on Charlie Austin and Bent and Benteke

Aston Villa have made a £3.5million bid for Lech Poznan winger Aleksandar Tonev.
Manager Paul Lambert made his move with Celtic and German side Werder Bremen also in negotiations for the Bulgaria international.

Tonev comes highly recommended by Stilian Petrov but is leaning towards a move to the Bundesliga.

article-2332932-1A0E2D74000005DC-215_634
Targeted: But Aston Villa will have to beat Celtic to the signature of Bulgaria's Aleksandar Tonev

Lambert is also stepping up interest in Burnley striker Charlie Austin and is ready to offer £4million for the 23-year-old.
Villa hope to negotiate new contracts for Christian Benteke and Andreas Weimann but will lose Darren Bent who is attracting interest from Fulham and Crystal Palace although the latter would struggle to match his wages.

article-2332932-19F573D5000005DC-382_306
article-2332932-19E8C30C000005DC-807_306

One out, one in? Darren Bent could be replaced at Villa Park by Burnley's Charlie Austin

article-2332932-19E27F0F000005DC-366_634
Highly rated: But Villa hope to retain striker Christian Benteke

Benteke is away on international duty with Belgium and is wanted by several clubs with Borussia Dortmund, Ateltico Madrid, Tottenham and Arsenal among many interested.

Atletico sent a delegation to London this week to negotiate with various clubs over a replacement for Radamel Falcao. They are keen to speak to Villa and to Liverpool over Luis Suarez while Manchester United's Javier Hernandez is also on their list.

Mail

We'll be winning all the goal of the month competitions if we get him.

If our wage offer is competitive we could have a chance. He may think England is more of a culture-shock than Germany though.

He looks good on YouTube but how anyone can say he is 'quality' is beyond me! Not a single person on this Forum will have seen him play a full game and took any notice of him before today!

Hopefully he will be another Benteke!! Only other player i remember going to a decent European team from Poznan is Lewandowski!! Hopefully he isn't just another Kranjcar (I know he's Croatian), but i mean in terms of belting goals in from 40 yards every now and again but being incredibly average overall! 

• Like 1

Looking at some Poznan stats, who play a 4-2-3-1, he played the left winger role almost exclusively. Matching that up to how we play he would predominantly play in the spot Gabby plays - whether or not that's a role deeper than Gabby played this season we wont know until the friendlies. Sounds like a good rotation buy with potential.

Edited by Wes

Would love him, but Celtic can offer CL. Even though their league is shite.

Werder Bremen wouldn't be as good a move. We're better than them imo. 

What's the point of playing for Celtic? I can understand why the Irish and Catholic's might see some glory in it but they're no longer even in a two-man league, and you wouldn't move to Scotland for the sake of the group stage of the CL.

Looking at some Poznan stats, who play a 4-2-3-1, he played the left winger role almost exclusively. Matching that up to how we play he would predominantly play in the spot Gabby plays - whether or not that's a role deeper than Gabby played this season we wont know until the friendlies. Sounds like a good rotation buy with potential.

Or he may want gabby to play up front and offer an alternative to Benteke it would be nice not having him to rely on him so much

Edited by AshVilla

If we sign him then I tip my hat to Petrov, his first piece of work as part of Lambert's staff so it seems!

Still think he'll go to Celtic but maybe we can make him want to come to us instead by explaining how sh*t the Scottish Prem is.

Or he may want gabby to play up front and offer an alternative to Benteke it would be nice not having him to rely on him so much

I think you're exactly right. Gabby could well be played in that sole striker position when Benteke is out. In which case bringing in some versatile wide players makes a lot of sense in this scenario.

It'll be interesting to see if a "replacement" for Bent is bought in. Personally I think we'll see more wingers/attacking midfielders bought in as I think PL and the staff have faith in Benteke/Gabby/Weimann being the #1/2/3 in that sole striker position for when injuries/suspensions occur, and the new players will replace Gabby and Andy in those wider positions.

Looks decent but hard to tell via youtube, even people were saying holman was decent because of youtube clips but i trust lamberts eye for a player so lets see what happens, would be nice to get our business done early for a change.

Â