• Delph
    • Tonev
    • Benteke
    • Kozák (for Benteke 28)
    • Helenius (for Agbonlahor 61)
    • Sylla (for Tonev 77)

This poll is closed to new votes

The hoodoo continues!

I honestly thought we'd lose this one, but to come away with a win and a clean sheet is an excellent response to that godawful Newcastle game.

MOTM has to be Guzan, the guy is just world class. Make him captain!

Its a pity that Benteke went off injured but it doesnt look too bad and Kozak did exactly what he was bought for anyway....to step up to the plate and score when needed.

Didnt really catch much of the game but it sounded like the defense was solid, apart from Clark's inevitable howler for their penalty. Three points well earned it seems.

The hoodoo continues!

I honestly thought we'd lose this one, but to come away with a win and a clean sheet is an excellent response to that godawful Newcastle game.

MOTM has to be Guzan, the guy is just world class. Make him captain!

Its a pity that Benteke went off injured but it doesnt look too bad and Kozak did exactly what he was bought for anyway....to step up to the plate and score when needed.

Didnt really catch much of the game but it sounded like the defense was solid, apart from Clark's inevitable howler for their penalty. Three points well earned it seems.

it wasn't a howler. Theres no way it was a penalty

They were absolutely awful I can't remember a more shocking team against us , since Lambert has been in charge at least. If Benteke and Gabby would have stayed on the pitch we'd have won 0-4 or something. 

We weren't great either with the expections of Guzan (class save towards end) Bakuna, Clarke and Gabby when he was on.

Early day but it seems Lambert may have signed a few duds this season, Tonev dear me.

Edited by supernova26
  • Like 1

Maybe so...although he had a good game, its another error from Clark. Lets hope he puts it behind him as he seems to have stepped up his game this season.

Maybe so...although he had a good game, its another error from Clark. Lets hope he puts it behind him as he seems to have stepped up his game this season.

Another error from Clark? I'm sorry but that's just nonsense.  

Clark is in no way culpable for that awful decision, in fact he was doing exactly what he is paid to, getting in a good position to deny their attacker.  There is no way in a million years that any player could have got his arm out of the way of the ball at that speed.  We were robbed by a blatant handball at Chelsea and then cheated again today by that dreadful decision.  Thankfully Guzan was there to save the day.

Clark was fantastic today and deserves huge credit for the way he has stepped up to the plate so far this season.  

On a side note, is anyone else getting the feeling that after being awarded two (CORRECT) penalties at Arsenal, we are going to see us get shafted all season by refereeing decisions to compensate?

Edited by One For The Road

Not a vintage performance, but I'll take scrappy 1-0 wins away from home all day long. Worth remembering also, we had no Okore, Lowton, Westwood, and played the majority of the match with out Benteke..

Lowton was left out, travelled with the squad but didn't make the 18.
Erm yeah, so we were without him. Whether he was dropped, or injured, he can still be classed as a first team regular, and we managed to get the win without him. Bacuna was an excellent replacement too, which bodes well.
Seems a strange argument to try and gain extra credit for a win by saying 'we were without X, Y and Z' when being without X was actually our own choice.

The point I was making was how much better the squad is, rather than trying to gain any extra credit for the win. Chill Winston.

Well that wasn't the way your original point came across at all. But thanks for the sarcastic comments in addition, Dave80.

Some great positives, ie. the result, Kovak, Clark and Bacuna.

However some pretty big negatives coming out of today also; the news we're all going to be dreading about Benteke, Lowton being left out of the squad but not being injured, and Tonev being... well... less said about that the better.

A clean sheet is such a rarity these days, which I think says a bit more about Norwich than us. 2 bad misses, a missed penalty and Guzan's save at the end which they should have made better contact with. But, the result is a great one, I think we showed alot of character and resilience and deserved the win in the end. I don't have high hopes against Man City on the basis of the last 2 performances though. We need the Villa which played Arsenal and Chelsea back (what is it with our form after playing Chelsea?..)

Not a vintage performance, but I'll take scrappy 1-0 wins away from home all day long. Worth remembering also, we had no Okore, Lowton, Westwood, and played the majority of the match with out Benteke..

Lowton was left out, travelled with the squad but didn't make the 18.
Erm yeah, so we were without him. Whether he was dropped, or injured, he can still be classed as a first team regular, and we managed to get the win without him. Bacuna was an excellent replacement too, which bodes well.
Seems a strange argument to try and gain extra credit for a win by saying 'we were without X, Y and Z' when being without X was actually our own choice.
The point I was making was how much better the squad is, rather than trying to gain any extra credit for the win. Chill Winston.

Well that wasn't the way your original point came across at all. But thanks for the sarcastic comments in addition, Dave80.

Well the bit after the part of my post that you quoted, should have indicated the point I was making.:

Showing depth in the squad, which is encouraging. 

Listen mate, we're both Villa, and I apologies, if I came across as sarcastic, but you took part of what I said out of context, so I defended that. The 'Chill Winston' bit was meant to lighten the mood. 

I say we forget it, and enjoy a rare clean sheet, and a victory for our boys!  :cheers:

Very pleased with the result, finally a clean sheet, and that's down to Guzan, easily the MOTM. Bacuna was another standout for me. Tonev, however, needs to go play with the reserve team, I don't want him near the senior side. Embarrassingly bad.

Fingers crossed for Benteke, it'll be interesting to see how Lambert tweaks the team with him out. Signing Kozak at the end of the window looks like a genius move now.

I like how quickly we pressed. Had an effort at about 50 seconds in, so I assume they all had a grilling about starting slowly. Guzan definitely gets MOTM for me. A penalty save when we feared the usual, an absolute cracker of a save later on in the game and a general solid performance. Bacuna looks as though RB could be his better position, although him and Lowton will really be fighting for that position if Lowton returns to form. Kozak getting the goal in his 2nd game was fantastic and will hopefully do wonders for his confidence. It still wasn't exactly Villa firing on all cylinders but it's brilliant to come away with 3 points and that little bit sweeter to get the clean sheet. UTV!

Â