• Agbonlahor
    • Delph
    • Tonev
    • Benteke
    • Kozák (for Benteke 28)
    • Helenius (for Agbonlahor 61)
    • Sylla (for Tonev 77)

This poll is closed to new votes

No idea which position Bacuna sees as his strongest but thought he was very good in 1 v 1 defensive scenarios up against Redmond today. Not 100% sure he's as aware as he should be of opposition player movement off the ball however.

Crap v. Liverpool in a more advanced role so hope he can continue to flourish at RB. Would have been my MOTM were it not for Godzan.

Am I the only one that saw Helenius hold the ball up extremely well by dancing around some of their defenders? Guy has some serious footwork with the ball, unexpected for a big guy.

Yes he almost is the most comfortable one with the ball although he is the less one played for us .. fair play to him to be with this confidence . I think he could eventually be on the starting 11 as he seems to have creativity in him ..

Not a vintage performance, but I'll take scrappy 1-0 wins away from home all day long. Worth remembering also, we had no Okore, Lowton, Westwood, and played the majority of the match with out Benteke..

Lowton was left out, travelled with the squad but didn't make the 18.
Erm yeah, so we were without him. Whether he was dropped, or injured, he can still be classed as a first team regular, and we managed to get the win without him. Bacuna was an excellent replacement too, which bodes well.
Seems a strange argument to try and gain extra credit for a win by saying 'we were without X, Y and Z' when being without X was actually our own choice.
The point I was making was how much better the squad is, rather than trying to gain any extra credit for the win. Chill Winston.
Well that wasn't the way your original point came across at all. But thanks for the sarcastic comments in addition, Dave80.

Well the bit after the part of my post that you quoted, should have indicated the point I was making.:

Showing depth in the squad, which is encouraging.

Listen mate, we're both Villa, and I apologies, if I came across as sarcastic, but you took part of what I said out of context, so I defended that. The 'Chill Winston' bit was meant to lighten the mood.

I say we forget it, and enjoy a rare clean sheet, and a victory for our boys! :cheers:

Fair enough, crossed wires.

Not looking to fight over it on here, seen too many silly scraps and arguments between fellow Villans in the past.

It was a good performance from Bacuna which was a big positive, may give Lowton a kick up the backside he possibly needs.

This just shows it all evens out in the end.  We were unlucky to not even get a point against Chelsea and Liverpool, and now we are lucky to get three against Norwich.  Hopefully this gives the lads some confidence.

It is very noticeable this team plays with much less fear away from Villa Park.  Some Villa fans need to consider how their general demeanor affects the play on the pitch. 

• Like 1

It is very noticeable this team plays with much less fear away from Villa Park.  Some Villa fans need to consider how their general demeanor affects the play on the pitch. 

This may be a factor but the main reason is our style of play suits us away from VP.

Guzan - 9 MOTM
Vlaar - 7
Clark - 8 Did well and wasn't afraid to mix it up
Bacuna - 8 Impressive display at RB
Luna - 5 Very poor defensively and looked like he needed some help from midfield but wasn't getting any.
El Amadi - 6 Didn't do much
Weimann - Bags of energy and I like his direct running. Needs more end product.
Agbonlahor - Played very well his passing was great. Looked to be battling an injury in the second half
Delph - 7 probably the best of the midfield three
Tonev - 0 - Dire. Not sure he did a single thing right in the whole game. I hope for his sake there's more to come because that was like playing with ten men today
Benteke - 5- Potent threat as always. Will be missed.
Kozák (for Benteke 28) - 7 Looked okay, should have buried the first chance he had but luckily Gabby setup him up to redeem himself.
Helenius (for Agbonlahor 61) - 5 - looks like a number 10 and not a target man.
Sylla (for Tonev 77) - 3 - didn't really make an impresssion.

A better performance than against Newcastle but still way short of what I want to see although a wins a win.

Guzan was exceptional, finally a clean sheet Whoooooa.

Bacuna did very well, Lowton will have to up his game to get back in.

Luna improved and worked hard.

Clark is proving some of us wrong, he is doing well.

The rest just meh, again the midfield was over run and unable to keep possession or control the game at any point, a forward line the is reactive instead of moving in anticipation. And in Tonev we now have another whole level of bad.

I just hope that Benteke isn't out for long, Kozan finished his goal well but apart from that wasn't really in the game and never lead the line like I would expect a CF to do. However with our midfield and the awful positions that Gabby and Wieman play it's not surprising. I said it last week to me he doesn't look good enough but he's here now and I believe he needs wingers who can cross a ball and then we will see the best of him.

A better performance than against Newcastle but still way short of what I want to see although a wins a win.

Guzan was exceptional, finally a clean sheet Whoooooa.

Bacuna did very well, Lowton will have to up his game to get back in.

Luna improved and worked hard.

Clark is proving some of us wrong, he is doing well.

The rest just meh, again the midfield was over run and unable to keep possession or control the game at any point, a forward line the is reactive instead of moving in anticipation. And in Tonev we now have another whole level of bad.

I just hope that Benteke isn't out for long, Kozan finished his goal well but apart from that wasn't really in the game and never lead the line like I would expect a CF to do. However with our midfield and the awful positions that Gabby and Wieman play it's not surprising. I said it last week to me he doesn't look good enough but he's here now and I believe he needs wingers who can cross a ball and then we will see the best of him.

Kozak made some really moves off the ball, some very silky play with Weimann or Tonev too at one point (think it may have been Tonev). 

He isn't as quick as Benteke but he looks like he can get himself into space, I think we will need to feed him though unlike Benteke who can usually make a goal himself.

As long as our players can find him, I reckon he will find the space, give him a chance.

Typical villa fans response to a new player, more often than not they come through fine.

Would love to see that actually verified in a checklist: Three columns: Name of new player; came through fine; Didn't come through fine.

I think that would take the wind out of the sails of your bold statement.

Not this one.

Well done for proving my point.

What we're doing currently is taking small risks and trying out inexpensive players in the hopes that some of them will come through fine. I would think that means unusually few of these players will actually make it. To me Tonev is an epitome of a project like this. And my opinion is that he will fail.

On the other hand I agree with you that our crowd isn't always behind our players in home matches which infuriates me.

Not this one.

Well done for proving my point.
What we're doing currently is taking small risks and trying out inexpensive players in the hopes that some of them will come through fine. I would think that means unusually few of these players will actually make it. To me Tonev is an epitome of a project like this. And my opinion is that he will fail.

On the other hand I agree with you that our crowd isn't always behind our players in home matches which infuriates me.

So you've already written him off? But then you say our crowd doesn't get behind the players which annoys you?

Erm take a look in the mirror.

Â