FIFA Corruption

islingtonclaret

Winter break in the domestic league programmes?

Plenty of time to organise it, I'd have thought.

Yup, which is precisely what will happen.

If FIFA are corrupt enough to award Qatar the WC in the first place, then they'll be corrupt enough to push through any of the necessary changes.

A revote is just wishful thinking, though completely understandable.

There is only a small window to change it though. Euro 2020 will be in summer of 2020 and so the confederations cup for the Qatar world cup will also have to be winter 2021, so that doesn't leave much time to readjust things.

If you tender for something in any business and the winning bid then changes what you were all bidding for the courts would be involved!!

If World Cups are to be held in winter then that should be in the tender process.

I don't have a problem with a winter World Cup if that allows other football countries to hold it but many would not have bothered last time and they along with those that bid for a summer World Cup should take Fifa to the cleaners.

In England alone cricket and rugby league will be competing with the premier league and championship for paying punters through the turnstiles and on TV if we have to start a season early or finish late. Obviously football rules but I am sure other countries like USA will have TV deals with the NFL and so on in winter that won't be too happy that a 4 week tournament might affect its advertising revenues.

Joke decision by a joke organisation!

• Like 1

There is only a small window to change it though. Euro 2020 will be in summer of 2020 and so the confederations cup for the Qatar world cup will also have to be winter 2021, so that doesn't leave much time to readjust things.

Exactly, lets say Spain win the Euros its league will either have totake a longer winter break in 2011, or it sends a weak side.

Yeah I'm thinking the Euro 2020 will be in June/July 2020, and then the confederations cup would then be in January 2021, so when would the season start and end for the Euro champion of that year? It's a big mess FIFA have got themselves into, and I'm loving it.

As far as i'm concerned moving it to winter is effectively and admission from FIFA the decision was fixed. There is no way a legitimate bid from such a small, nonfootball nation, would be allowed to move it without bribes being involved (IMO). Either that or its assesssing of bids is not fit for purpose, either way fIFA is a joke.

Edited by djamfisher

As far as i'm concerned moving it to winter is effectively and admission from FIFA the decision was fixed. There is no way a legitimate bid from such a small, nonfootball nation, would be allowed to move it without bribes being involved (IMO). Wither that or its assesssing of bids is not fit for purpose, either way fIFA is a joke.

Well, this is the thing, isn't it? FIFA members are so far removed from the needs of football fans and their perception of this bid that they thought, for some reason, that people wouldn't jump to the conclusion that any fixing had taken place. In actual fact, it screams the opposite and I think they've started to notice that giving a World Cup to a place where it's 50 degrees in the middle of summer might look like corruption. Bless.

They won the bid on the proviso of air conditioned stadiums, and that was enough apparently. What's changed?

That was such an awful idea. Never was gonna work. Plus the impact it would have on the environment would be awful. 

"Sheikh Mohammed bin Hamad bin Khalifa al-Thani, the 2022 Qatar bid chairman, has stated, "the event has to be organized in June or July. We will have to take the help of technology to counter the harsh weather. We have already set in motion the process. A stadium with controlled temperature is the answer to the problem. We have other plans up our sleeves as well."

This is the first time I've actually noticed this. One of the key problems is the climate, and THIS is what they came out with for the bid? Nothing concrete, we're just looking at it. Amazing. FIFA thought "plans up our sleeves" would suffice?

Edited by islingtonclaret

It could be good for the standard of football played at the World Cup. The majority of players will be at peak fitness levels due to the tournament taking place in the middle of the domestic season rather than at the end of it.

I'm pleased because anything that pisses on Scudamore's chips makes me happy (plus I might not have to plan my Christmas around his ridiculous kick off times).

"Sheikh Mohammed bin Hamad bin Khalifa al-Thani, the 2022 Qatar bid chairman, has stated, "the event has to be organized in June or July. We will have to take the help of technology to counter the harsh weather. We have already set in motion the process. A stadium with controlled temperature is the answer to the problem. We have other plans up our sleeves as well."

This is the first time I've actually noticed this. One of the key problems is the climbate, and THIS is what they came out with for the bid? Nothing concrete, we're just looking at it. Amazing. FIFA thought "plans up our sleeves" would suffice?

When England were busy picking through the wreckage of their bid, a few stories came out suggesting that the vast majority of the voters hadn't even read through the detailed proposal documents for each of the bids. It's hardly surprising that they've come unstuck.

The bid should be held again, and Qatar can bid for a winter world cup.

Wouldn't be fair on Qatar though as they are quite happy to host it in the summer. It is FIFA who have decided to move the goalposts.

Â