FIFA Corruption

islingtonclaret

"Yes, there was definitely direct political influence. European leaders recommended to its voting members to opt for Qatar, because of major economic interests in the country." A recent Blatter quote.

The bid should be held again, and Qatar can bid for a winter world cup.

Wouldn't be fair on Qatar though as they are quite happy to host it in the summer. It is FIFA who have decided to move the goalposts.

They smashed the goals to bits when they selected Qatar. They would have to rebuild the goal posts THEN move them.

The bid should be held again, and Qatar can bid for a winter world cup.

Wouldn't be fair on Qatar though as they are quite happy to host it in the summer. It is FIFA who have decided to move the goalposts.

They smashed the goals to bits when they selected Qatar. They would have to rebuild the goal posts THEN move them.

Exactly. Qatar and FIFA removed fairness - as well as honesty - out of the process. Qatar bought their successful bid and FIFA corruption expedited it. **** Qatar.

The question is, when do you move it to?

January-February? That will conflict with the Winter Olympics. Broadcasters with commitments to the IOC will back out of the World Cup. Sponsors will pay less money.

Alternatively, it could be moved to November or December, but if that happens, Fox will hand back their billion dollar contract for a summer World Cup and I expect that the NFL will make it clear that any broadcaster in the US which bids on the World Cup will not win NFL rights in the 2023-2033 timeframe. FIFA will likely then have to do without US TV (which will probably mean 10-15% of sponsorship revenue gone) or end up buying slots on TV for the games.

A winter World Cup is probably going to cost FIFA a few billion dollars. It also opens up the possibility of a Murdoch financed breakaway...

• Like 2

Yeah I was gonna mention the clash with the superbowl. Are the winter Olympics 2022 definitely in February? The only thing they could is have it in April or May, but would the temperatures be that different to what they are in June and July.

The business model of international football is completely reliant on paying the top footballers much, much less than market value and relying on their goodwill. 

I question how long it can continue. 

A lot of the money gets redistributed through community projects etc but surely there are some footballers smart enough to say I'm not getting used like this to make a bunch of corrupt officials rich. 

As has been said above, maybe a spring time WC, with games kicking off at 10am and 9pm IF they insisted on it staying in Qatar. Might work.

(I would love it to be moved and really enjoy watching the FIFA execs scratching around in the crap they have created).

The business model of international football is completely reliant on paying the top footballers much, much less than market value and relying on their goodwill. 

I question how long it can continue. 

A lot of the money gets redistributed through community projects etc but surely there are some footballers smart enough to say I'm not getting used like this to make a bunch of corrupt officials rich. 

I see it the other way around.

Footballers play in it for the sheer prestige of representing their country on the world stage. It's football in it's most pure form instead of the chequebook loyalty we are used to seeing from players.

How FIFA distributes the motza it makes from the event is a different matter.

Australia would do it in a heart beat. Sure your viewing times might suck but it would be in our winter which would be ideal weather for football.

Our viewing times would be rubbish here, sure, but Australia was always the standout candidate by miles. The Aussies are entitled to and should get their claws into FIFA as much as they can.

• Like 1

Â