FIFA Corruption

islingtonclaret

You're right on the second part.

Watching the video again I don't think he's scared. I think it's a lucky photo.

Agreed, I didn't think it watching the video it is the picture that does it.

When you see the video of it it is funny but when you see some of the pictures not so much.

• 2 weeks later...

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/08/03/football/cristiano-ronaldo-fifa-qatar-football?sr=cnnitw

Says it all about modern player attitudes. ...

Read the full transcript of Ronaldo's interview with CNNE below:

Andres Oppenheimer (AO) (Spanish): Cristiano, many thanks for joining us. Before asking you about your new line of sporting headphones that you've come to the US to launch, we have to ask you about the issue in football that has been in the spotlight of the entire world: the corruption scandal surrounding FIFA. Question -- how is the corruption scandal at FIFA affecting playing on the field of play? Is it something that worries you?

Cristiano Ronaldo (CR) (Spanish): Do you want me to be honest? (yes.) It doesn't worry me at all. (why is that?) I do my profession, my job, I give me all for my club...the rest doesn't matter to me. I don't care what happens on the outside.

AO (Spanish): And your teammates?

CR (Spanish): I don't know. You have to speak with them. I don't know, I can't answer for everyone else.

AO (Spanish): But, don't tell me that you guys don't speak about it in the locker room.

CR (Spanish): You want to know the truth? We don't speak about it at all.

AO (Spanish): Not at all?

CR (Spanish): Not at all. We talk about other things.

AO (Spanish): What do you guys talk about?

CR (Spanish): About music, about women, about fashion, about shoes, about suitcases/bags, about jewelry, about haircuts...any more (you want me to list?)

AO (Spanish): You know, I don't believe you...it's difficult to believe it. Cristiano, the whole world is talking about it.

CR (Spanish): Yes, but personally, I don't talk about it.

AO (Spanish): (Tries to say something)

CR (Portuguese): Something in Portuguese.

AO (Spanish): Cristiano, one of the related issues that people talk about is the World Cup in Qatar. Many sports figures say that to play...

CR: snapping fingers...

Someone in the background (Spanish): OK, this isn't...

CR (English): This is, this is bulls**t.

Someone in the background (Spanish): We're trying to talk about...

CR (English): I can't speak like that. This is bulls**t. Speak about FIFA, I don't care about FIFA. And Qatar...I don't give a f**k. What you want me to do? (gestures with hand). Speak about product, he speaks about FIFA...come on. (walks off)

• Like 1

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/08/03/football/cristiano-ronaldo-fifa-qatar-football?sr=cnnitw

Says it all about modern player attitudes. ...

Read the full transcript of Ronaldo's interview with CNNE below:

Andres Oppenheimer (AO) (Spanish): Cristiano, many thanks for joining us. Before asking you about your new line of sporting headphones that you've come to the US to launch, we have to ask you about the issue in football that has been in the spotlight of the entire world: the corruption scandal surrounding FIFA. Question -- how is the corruption scandal at FIFA affecting playing on the field of play? Is it something that worries you?

Cristiano Ronaldo (CR) (Spanish): Do you want me to be honest? (yes.) It doesn't worry me at all. (why is that?) I do my profession, my job, I give me all for my club...the rest doesn't matter to me. I don't care what happens on the outside.

AO (Spanish): And your teammates?

CR (Spanish): I don't know. You have to speak with them. I don't know, I can't answer for everyone else.

AO (Spanish): But, don't tell me that you guys don't speak about it in the locker room.

CR (Spanish): You want to know the truth? We don't speak about it at all.

AO (Spanish): Not at all?

CR (Spanish): Not at all. We talk about other things.

AO (Spanish): What do you guys talk about?

CR (Spanish): About music, about women, about fashion, about shoes, about suitcases/bags, about jewelry, about haircuts...any more (you want me to list?)

AO (Spanish): You know, I don't believe you...it's difficult to believe it. Cristiano, the whole world is talking about it.

CR (Spanish): Yes, but personally, I don't talk about it.

AO (Spanish): (Tries to say something)

CR (Portuguese): Something in Portuguese.

AO (Spanish): Cristiano, one of the related issues that people talk about is the World Cup in Qatar. Many sports figures say that to play...

CR: snapping fingers...

Someone in the background (Spanish): OK, this isn't...

CR (English): This is, this is bulls**t.

Someone in the background (Spanish): We're trying to talk about...

CR (English): I can't speak like that. This is bulls**t. Speak about FIFA, I don't care about FIFA. And Qatar...I don't give a f**k. What you want me to do? (gestures with hand). Speak about product, he speaks about FIFA...come on. (walks off)

Does it? He was probably asked him to take part in an interview about a product he is trying to promote and they go with the politics. That is not cool by any journalist standard. Also, does it matter what he thinks? How is his opinion going to change anything other then fill a few back pages for a few days?

Dont get me wrong, I think FIFA is rotten. But I dont need gel hair ronaldo to tell me about it. VERY poor journalism. Plus, the guy will probably fancy another ballon d'or. 

Edited by Mic09

If you watch the video apparently all the questions were agreed beforehand, whether Ronaldos people told him is another matter  I guess.

To be honest I think most footballers would do similar in the circumstances maybe with a little less profanity.

The bit that made me laugh was his list of what footballers talk about!

If you watch the video apparently all the questions were agreed beforehand, whether Ronaldos people told him is another matter  I guess.

To be honest I think most footballers would do similar in the circumstances maybe with a little less profanity.

But did you expect anything else? ;) They will not chat about whats on the telly, about The transfer moves of AVFC, Stoke or Huddersfield, they will not talk about the depth of the universe or the meaning of life. 

They are footballers ;)

But did you expect anything else? ;) They will not chat about whats on the telly, about The transfer moves of AVFC, Stoke or Huddersfield, they will not talk about the depth of the universe or the meaning of life. 

They are footballers ;)

I do expect better actually yeah. I expect him to give a **** about the state of the sport that pays for his **** suitcases/bags. 

He wasn't on the witness stand either, just answer the **** question. Manners maketh the man and all that. 

What a knob. But that isn't really news. 

• Like 4

Another thing - He's there to sell a product. That's not a very professional attitude to take is it? People think that kind of reaction is "acceptable"?

I hope his headphones are found to distribute AIDS and as punishment he's shot into space in a cock shaped rocket with only his shoes, jewelry and his haircut to keep him company. word removed. 

• Like 3

Actually I do expect a lot more from footballers.  Or I expect others to remind them of their responsibilities.  Look at the activities of someone like Craig Bellamy or Javier Zanetti or Lilian Thuram.  You really can't admire those players and give the spoiled babies a free pass.  I guess it says more about the cossetted amorality of so many privileged people in the world today.  How would you feel if your workplace was responsible for thousands of deaths and countless human rights violations and you had to smile and pretend to be part of a big party?  You don't dance on graves, so don't play football on them.  I would, frankly, lose a lot of respect for anyone who was prepared to do that.  If we can't ask for more humility and conscientiousness from **** footballers then we're pretty screwed.  I think we're too accepting of rocket polishers.  And I think a lot of it has to do with cowardice.

• Like 3

Another thing - He's there to sell a product. That's not a very professional attitude to take is it? People think that kind of reaction is "acceptable"?

He's been a bit of a dick about it. But I imagine he's annoyed because of the reason you've outlined.

He's there to sell a product. He was probably promised a nice cushy interview about the product and maybe a few token questions about football and Madrid.

Instead he's thrown into an interrogation about a touchy subject.

He hasn't handled it very well, but I can completely understand him not being happy with the line of questioning.

he probably does care about FIFA and does talk about it. But he understandably doesn't want to be quoted about it, especially when he's been caught unaware by the questions.

Edited by Stevo985

He's been a bit of a dick about it. But I imagine he's annoyed because of the reason you've outlined.

He's there to sell a product. He was probably promised a nice cushy interview about the product and maybe a few token questions about football and Madrid.

He hasn't handled it very well, but I can completely understand him not being happy with the line of questioning.

he probably does care about FIFA and does talk about it. But he understandably doesn't want to be quoted about it, especially when he's been caught unaware by the questions.

I really don't understand where this charitable interpretation is coming from. 

I see nothing wrong with it, I think anything he said would easily be misconstrued and twisted to form the headline that the journo wants, what is the right answer for ronaldo to give there?

I hope the journalist wasn't hoping the worlds best footballers have the answers on how to fix FIFA because they don't and more importantly probably shouldn't, and at the same time I hope he wasn't asking ronaldo to openly criticise the Qatar World Cup because I don't he'd ever be that daft, Qatari money will either through direct partnership with him or through real make it in to his pocket

I can't **** stand the bloke but this is something of nothing

Think it was a stupid line of questioning, be like asking Wayne Rooney about the current UK government. Im sure its a very minority of footballers care about Sepp Blatter and FIFA unless its directly aimed at them

Think it was a stupid line of questioning, be like asking Wayne Rooney about the current UK government. Im sure its a very minority of footballers care about Sepp Blatter and FIFA unless its directly aimed at them

CR is far too media savvy to be drawn into saying anything contraversial which would be in the front page of every paper on the world.

He was clearly annoyed that the interviewer was too much of an amateur to get with the programme.

I really don't understand where this charitable interpretation is coming from. 

I don't understand your point.

What's charitable about it?

All I'm saying is he probably has had conversations about FIFA with his teammates. Not intense intellectual debates, but surely as much as "**** hell have you seen what's happening with FIFA?!"

My point was just because he's avoiding the question in this interview by claiming he never talks about it doesn't mean he doesn't actually ever talk about it.

The FIFA corruption is a complicated issue. CR has spent his life thinking about football, formations, women, fashion money etc. He has never concerned himself with the front part of the newspaper unless he's on it, coming out of a nightclub with some semi-famous tart or something. It's very likely that he does have inside information about what is going on in FIFA, and that if he talked about it he may be betraying confidences and giving the reporter an incredible headline, but it's even more likely that he knows if he expressed an opinion on such a complex issue, he's come across as stupid and ill informed. Say nothing and appear stupid, start to talk and remove all doubt. 

It has some equivalence to asking a man in a Man Utd shirt who knows all the words to all the songs and has a season ticket for the stretford end about the corruption. Even though he thinks about football an awful lot, he would not have anything like an intelligent opinion on the corruption.

It's very likely that he does have inside information about what is going on in FIFA, and that if he talked about it he may be betraying confidences and giving the reporter an incredible headline, but it's even more likely that he knows if he expressed an opinion on such a complex issue, he's come across as stupid and ill informed. Say nothing and appear stupid, start to talk and remove all doubt. 

This is the point I was trying to make

Only just spotted this part of it -

How many of these articles and news pieces refers to the fact that he's launching a new set of headphones? Because I bet this story got far more attention than it would have done if it was just another interview about him, Madrid and messi, I bet you he could tell you less about those headphones than he could about FIFA

I'm starting to smell a rat

Edited by villa4europe

Only just spotted this part of it -

How many of these articles and news pieces refers to the fact that he's launching a new set of headphones? Because I bet this story got far more attention than it would have done if it was just another interview about him, Madrid and messi, I bet you he could tell you less about those headphones than he could about FIFA

I'm starting to smell a rat

Good nose

Â