FIFA Corruption

islingtonclaret

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/04/fai-fifa-paid-us-to-stop-legal-case-over-thierry-henry-handball-incident/?utm_network=facebook&utm_post=3765088&utm_source=FB%20-%20NBC%20Sports%20Soccer

"FAI: FIFA paid us to stop legal case over Thierry Henry handball incident"

Wow so Fifa just bought off Ireland even though Ireland were clearly screwed. I don't think Ireland had much ground to complain though. Yes it was the wrong call, but refs make mistakes and unfortunately, Ireland was on the wrong end of one error. 

Refs make mistakes indeed.... it just seems that in these instances, the mistakes are always the ones that FIFA would like them to make...

Plot twist .....France were always going to win that game due to a bribed ref ........Now that would be something 

Surely it's only a matter of time before match-fixing at World Cups comes into the equation in the current investigation. I find it hard to believe it hasn't happened, given the rampant off-pitch corruption.

I don't want to believe in match fixing in the world cups, but I thought the South Korea officiating was so suspicious. I can't remember any other matches from world cups that particularly stood out. 

Match fixing in Korea, German paper reporting they bought their World Cup, think it's a given South Africa was bought. Russia and Qatar looking odds on that they were bought. Hilarious.

Match fixing in Korea, German paper reporting they bought their World Cup, think it's a given South Africa was bought. Russia and Qatar looking odds on that they were bought. Hilarious.

What does the German paper say exactly?

I don't speak German, but someone on another forum said THIS says Germany bought votes for the World Cup using, among other things, arms shipments. Translation of the article does seem to agree with that too.

• Like 1

I don't want to believe in match fixing in the world cups, but I thought the South Korea officiating was so suspicious. I can't remember any other matches from world cups that particularly stood out. 

The fact that it was more than one game too. If you have a one off, it's something.But for 2 games to be so awfully officiated to the benefit of the same team is not normal.

• Like 1

The fact that it was more than one game too. If you have a one off, it's something.But for 2 games to be so awfully officiated to the benefit of the same team is not normal.

Dunno, we had possibly hundreds of games officiated to the benefit of Man United when Ferguson was there. ;)

I think labeling officials corrupt is a dangerous thing to do. Being a referee is the toughest job in football and people should try it sometime. I have done linesman in few games and its not easy. They only get one look at things compared to critics on Sky who can see from 100 different angles

I think labeling officials corrupt is a dangerous thing to do. Being a referee is the toughest job in football and people should try it sometime. I have done linesman in few games and its not easy. They only get one look at things compared to critics on Sky who can see from 100 different angles

I agree about only seeing things once. However, what about when referees fail to send a player off "due to the occasion". As a referee, which rule allows them this discretion?

I agree about only seeing things once. However, what about when referees fail to send a player off "due to the occasion". As a referee, which rule allows them this discretion?

I agree that is stupid though Ive only seen remember that twice in big games and that was Webb and Dowd. I remember Lehmann in Champions League final was sent off quite early so it shows how inconsistent they can be on this rule as well

• Like 1

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/06/05/the-19-most-ridiculous-moments-in-terrible-fifa-movie-united-passions?%20hub%20page%20(front%20page)&utm_content=2

ign picking holes in the new fifa sanctioned film united passions

In this scene Uruguayan ambassador Enrique Buero buys the first World Cup by telling ice-cream guzzling FIFA boss Jules Rimet, “We have unlimited funds Mr. Rimet. Unlimited. You need the money. We need the championship. Let’s do business.” Rimet smiles and continues to shovel ice-cream into his cake-hole

sounds about right...

and by the sounds of that article the english take an absolute shoeing in it

Edited by villa4europe

That's something that shouldn't be done, I really hate it.

But that's not corruption. It's incompetence.

I think there probably are corrupt officials but I imagine it's a very very small minority. But I do think referees are easily swayed by occasions, as you say, or by the status of teams or managers they are officiating. Often probably subconsciously.

But like I say, that's not corruption.

(not saying you said it was, just making the distinction)

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/06/05/the-19-most-ridiculous-moments-in-terrible-fifa-movie-united-passions?%20hub%20page%20(front%20page)&utm_content=2

In this scene Uruguayan ambassador Enrique Buero buys the first World Cup by telling ice-cream guzzling FIFA boss Jules Rimet, “We have unlimited funds Mr. Rimet. Unlimited. You need the money. We need the championship. Let’s do business.” Rimet smiles and continues to shovel ice-cream into his cake-hole

sounds about right...

No.4 about Stanley Rous is apparently true. 442 ran an article few months ago about the election and that Rous was apparently pro-apartheid which Havelange took advantage of. Rous also made Soviet Union play in Chile on a ground that Pinochet had murdered people on just a few weeks previous and then kicked them out of 1974 World Cup when they wanted to play in a different venue

I don't speak German, but someone on another forum said THIS says Germany bought votes for the World Cup using, among other things, arms shipments. Translation of the article does seem to agree with that too.

Interesting. Cheers.

sounds about right...

No.4 about Stanley Rous is apparently true. 442 ran an article few months ago about the election and that Rous was apparently pro-apartheid which Havelange took advantage of. Rous also made Soviet Union play in Chile on a ground that Pinochet had murdered people on just a few weeks previous and then kicked them out of 1974 World Cup when they wanted to play in a different venue

An excellent article in today's Times by Oliver Kay is an amusing revelation about the reality of FIFA when Rous's support of apartheid South Africa prompted 16 African nations to boycott the 1966 tournament.

Spain qualified by playing Ireland three times, and a single qualifier from Africa, Asia and Oceania after an over-blown competition, 'that presumably was the inspiration for the modern-day Europa League'.  :D

Two years later the MCC decided not to pick Basil D'Oliveira so as not to upset the South Africans.

The good old days, hey?

Edited by MakemineVanilla

Â