• Westwood
    • Delph
    • Weimann
    • Agbonlahor
    • Benteke
    • El Ahmadi (for Lowton 65)
    • Tonev (for Weimann 73)
    • Helenius (for Westwood 83)

Highly disappointed. After our good performances in two away games I expected much more against Liverpool who are frankly average. We were worse. Only three shots on target, not good enough. Still WDFAFC. Delph gives the ball away more than anyone in the game. Really bored of losing at home to this lot now. Oh and there was a fight right next to us in the Lower North, some guy moaning about people standing up came to fisticuffs. This is why I have a seat on the front row!

• Like 1

I thought our players really lacked the patience to build anything in the first half. They all wanted to play killer passes and none of them wanted to graft out little blocks of possession. Once we started doing that we looked much better, but we really lacked a player with the vision to play that Coutinho role for us.

It really is the missing piece for us and I really hope Lambert and Randy can see how much we need it.

I think we were very poor first half and our passing and movement was terrible, slight improvement second half, it was a typical home performance by us, what I will say though was I thought Liverpool done a great job at breaking up our play and really battled hard, I think they were a well drilled team, was very frustrating to watch but it ay been a bad start to the season, I expect us to easily beat Newcastle then at least get a draw at Norwich, thought guzan's distribution was poor again yesterday,

Watching the game again, and it was only really about 25 minutes that Liverpool really did anything. We bossed possession for the rest of the game, and I must say our passing has really improved. A lot of our moves broke down with Bacuna though, and I think we may need a creative midfielder to give us the missing piece in our game. 

I think the physical and mental energy spent over the three games took it's toll both on the first half performance and the overall result. Perhaps with a fresh Sylla in the middle instead of Bacuna ( who I thought was no worse than anyone else) and either Tonev or Helenius in for Wiemann we may have got a few more passes together and made a goal happen.

If the consensus is that we have just played three of the top 6 you really wouldn't be able to say we didn't match any of them all over the pitch.

I think Vlarr's strength and Okora's pace we have a much improved central defense.

Bring on the toon. 

Some ridiculous over reactions on here in my opinion. I stated on the match thread that I was worried that the two high intensity matches we have had combined with Liverpool's week of preparation may play a part in yesterday's result and for me it did. First half they obviously bossed the game which was clearly evident for all to see and we struggled in midfield to get close and the Liverpool trio of Lucas, Henderson and in particular Gerrard were dictating play. Thought to be fair to the reds they played some pretty decent stuff without really testing Brad apart from a wonderful taken Sturridge goal. I feel that although Okore may have switched off slightly from an attacking perspective, you have to give credit to Sturridge for his movement, quick feet and calm finish. As hard as it was to take. I felt though from 40 mins on we were the better side and definitely deserved a point from the game. Benteke had chances at the end of each half which produced great saves from his Belgium counterpart and Gabby should have done better with his sliced effort. Delph for me was our MOTM. I feel that the comments regarding Bacuna are slightly OTT. Yes it wasn't a Stan debut but give the guy a chance, thought he looked half decent at RB. I feel 3 points from our first 3 matches is a good start to the season and we are very unlucky not to have 5 possibly 7! I would love one more signing before the window shuts - most noticeably in the AM area and someone that can provide the killer pass and the key to unlock a deep sitting defence. UTV.

• Like 3

Highly disappointed. After our good performances in two away games I expected much more against Liverpool who are frankly average. We were worse. Only three shots on target, not good enough. Still WDFAFC. Delph gives the ball away more than anyone in the game. Really bored of losing at home to this lot now. Oh and there was a fight right next to us in the Lower North, some guy moaning about people standing up came to fisticuffs. This is why I have a seat on the front row!

Agreed on all these points. I think we were bad beyond belief for most of the first half, every time we got hold of the ball we just gave it straight back to them. Worse, we didn't do what we normally do pretty well and is one of the benefits of a young team, and that is harry the opposition and press the ball. We'd give it away and stand off the **** and let them pass it around. I was getting seriously annoyed watching us not play to our strengths. Conceding was inevitable, even if Plop aren't that good, we just aren't good enough defensively to allow teams to play like that and keep them out.

Chelsea were doing it to us in a similar fashion but we pressed and defended and consequently a much better team than Plop were only able to scrape past us with the aid of a word removed ref.

I said early in the match thread Bacuna should have been hooked. Not because I don't like him, don't want him to have a chance, think he's not good enough or any other short sighted reason. He should have been hooked because it was not working for him, it was not his day at all and the best period he had was the brief, anonymous one at RB. Prior to that he got nothing right and couldn't have bought a lucky break. Idiotic posts calling fans "fickle" for seeing what was wrong and commenting on it deserve nothing but contempt. Frankly, bearing in mind exactly what an absolute word removed of a man the person who coined that phrase to describe us fans was, I would never use the phrase. Want to emulate a dumb, loathsome, pig-faced rocket polisher? Go ahead, call us fickle.

And do you know what? Delph is currently running MOM on here. I didn't vote for him personally, I went for Okore who was, in my opinion, consistently better throughout the 90. I thought Delph had a poor first half but was much better in the second and don't have any problem with those who feel his performance was worthy of MOM. My being unimpressed with his first half showing but acknowledging how he did second half isn't being fickle - despite it being apparently so by the definition of some - it is seeing a reality.

I've seen enough so far this season to think we'll have some exciting times but we need to learn quickly from yesterday - both the players and Lambert. I think Lambert cocked up with his selection and tactics and then compounded the errors by delaying the changes and the players cocked up by failing to press and harry. The second half was a big improvement because we became more recognisable as the dangerous Villa.

As for the fight in the stands, I hope it was someone saying people were fickle by standing when we attack and sit when we don't and got KTFO.

Not sure why we were happy to rearrange the Chelsea match so we had these three games in eight days. I think we paid the price in the Liverpool game. We now have a three week break?

I would agree with the observation that we seem to have sorted defence and attack leaving the perennial problem of our midfield. The ACM is needed, at least a an option and a variation to what we currently have.

I thought Liverpool we're excellent in the first half. I feel people are expecting too much from us. We're a great counter attacking team but still struggle to break teams down when they sit back. We haven't signed the players to change that so not sure why everyone was so confident. A lot of work is still yet to be done, I hope some have had a bit of a reality check by this game.

• Like 1

I really wonder sometimes about some of the posts on here - have we got no patience at all!!!

I'm absolutely staggered at the stick Bacuna and even Tonev have got on here after their home debuts - FFS give the guys a chance. People were slagging off Benteke at the start of last season (the new Balaban etc) and look what happened there. To make your debut in a game like that must be so difficult - I loved the fact the Bacuna wanted to get involved and never hid from the ball. Obviously not MOTM but I've seen much worse performances

Liverpool have spent a fortune in recent years and yet we can count ourselves unlucky that we didn't come away with a point.

One poster said "we look like a mid-table team"...eeeerrr hello! 

A large dose of Patience and Perspective needed ........ I can imagine the reaction if we don't win next time out

As for all the "Bent scored for Fulham" posters....yes he did and they lost - My feeling is that because Bent won't run 10 yards for the team, Net, he will cost Fulham goals

Edited by VillaCas
  • Like 3

Reflecting back on this, I think 3 games in a week made us look quite jaded, Liverpool had a full week to prep for this and it showed. The PL shoehorning that Chelsea game in for Weds really stuffed us, even Chelsea got 2 extra days as they don't play until Monday.

Few other thoughts, Delph whilst my MOTM still looks a walking yellow card.

Weimann really needs to find his shooting boots, another miss yesterday coupled with a couple at Chelsea .

Shame we now have 3 weeks to mull over back to back defeats before we play again.

Reflecting back on this, I think 3 games in a week made us look quite jaded, Liverpool had a full week to prep for this and it showed. The PL shoehorning that Chelsea game in for Weds really stuffed us, even Chelsea got 2 extra days as they don't play until Monday.

Few other thoughts, Delph whilst my MOTM still looks a walking yellow card.

Weimann really needs to find his shooting boots, another miss yesterday coupled with a couple at Chelsea .

Shame we now have 3 weeks to mull over back to back defeats before we play again.

The only weimann one I can think of was just before half time which deflected inches over?

Can't think of much except Delph being awful. Kept winning the ball and immediately giving it away. Heard people complain about Gabby giving it away but at least he looked dangerous when on the ball. Pretty miserable game to watch compounded by infighting in the crowd, embarrassing.

Can't think of much except Delph being awful. Kept winning the ball and immediately giving it away. Heard people complain about Gabby giving it away but at least he looked dangerous when on the ball. Pretty miserable game to watch compounded by infighting in the crowd, embarrassing.

Amazing how opinions can be so different. I thought Delph was our best player by a mile. Quick feet, taking people on, great tackling. Fantastic performance.

Â