• Westwood
    • Delph
    • Weimann
    • Agbonlahor
    • Benteke
    • El Ahmadi (for Lowton 65)
    • Tonev (for Weimann 73)
    • Helenius (for Westwood 83)

- Okore looks good, but he was at fault for the goal as he let Sturridge run free into position. And that mistake in the second half makes it hard to warrant him a place over Clark/Baker right now

Sorry but that is totally incorrect. Okore was playing on the right today, Vlaar on the left. Sturridge was on Vlaar's side and he failed to cut out the ball then Coutinho dummied and Sturridge was in free. Okore was on the other side of the action where he was supposed to be and had nothing to do with the goal being scored.

Good second half, just wasn't our day. Couldn't get thorugh Liverpool's midfield, and the few times we did we were let down by poor control and rushed passes. Thought our midfield looked much better with KEA. Okore, Delph, Gabby, Luna, Lowton stand out for me as the ones having had a decent game. Benteke needs to improve his first touch, and Bacuna.. that must have been a bit of shock for him.

We need to work on movement and offering the midfielders some one to pass to. The problem is we're playing 2 strikers as winger so there instincts r to move towards goal.

When we play 4-3-3 we are leaving big spaces between midfield and the strikers

We should play 4-2-3-1

Guzan

Lowton vlaar okore Luna

Westwood Sylla

Gabby Delph Tonev

Benteke

Edited by dakid007

Speaking from a Liverpool perspective I think we were lucky to get all 3 points.

Yes we were in control for much of the first half and it was a brilliant Sturridge run and finish to break through, however as against Stoke Mignolet definitely saved us 2 points in the second half.

I have been really impressed with Lambert after a very hard start to his Villa tenure.

If I were a Villa fan I would be very hopeful for the season, did fantastic against an Arsenal team who shat all over Fenerbahce and Fulham, but for terrible ref decisions you should have had more against Chelsea and Mignolet denied you at least a point against us.

• Like 4

Infact when vlaar missed the interception for the goal he just stood there, okore charged back to the line to try and stop it.

If anything Luna was too far away. Okore had nicked the ball off a Liverpool player on the right edge of the box and was retreating back centrally and Luna should have come tighter centrally to provide cover. Delph had dropped back and you could see him and Luna react too late when the ball carried to Sturridge knowing they we're in trouble but end of the day there was no excuse for Vlaar not dealing with the ball coming in.

Absolutely not worried even a whisker by today's performance. The boys you saw against Arsenal and Chelsea will be back.

I don't think the problem was physical exhaustion as much as mental. Our squad has had to endure a walk through Hades in its first two matches, and it was inevitable with the tight schedule that an emotional re-grouping would need to take place. We never had that, and to me it showed. There was a certain lackadaisical quality on display in the first half.

I think Liverpool played a very, very intelligent game -- far, far more complex, actually, than Chelsea's on Weds. We failed to match their wits.

Not concerned.

• Like 1

Poor performance on the whole. We undoubtedly improved in the second but struggled to find a way through. Couple of bobbled efforts fell to Gabby and Benteke (who Mignolet made a great save from) but I think we were too tired in the end.

When you play a counterattacking style, you use up a lot of energy chasing the ball around. Doing that against 2 teams will take it out of you I'd imagine, then to play the same way for a third match in a week will mean the players are knackered.

While Bacuna didn't exactly have the best debut, no chance am I writing him off. Westwood's first performance was worse from memory. There's still time.

This game also highlighted why we need a proper creative midfield player.

The difference between this season and last is that we actually managed to create some clearcut chances after long spells of possession. Sometimes last year we looked clueless, but yesterday our passing was assured and we tried to move forward at every opportunity in the second half. Really frustrated with the loss of course, but I'm still optimistic. Think we'll batter Newcastle in our next game.

Edited by Keyblade
  • Like 1

I'm really perplexed by how different the reactions to the Liverpool and Chelsea games are. They were both very similar performances, yet one has generally been hailed as a master class and one is called a reality check and dire.

What is the big difference in Villa's performance that everyone is seeing between the two games?

Not sure about the calls of Bacuna's being the worst debut ever, ever wasn't great no, but was alright at right back. Luna looked very nervy in the early going, but settled in to the game nicely.

For me, the Villa performance, in the second half, was summed up by Delph's during the match as a whole. Lots of running, saw lots of the ball, but gave the ball away often so we had to start all over again.

Okore is going to be awesome for us, isn't he? I saw someone mention somewhere on VT that he'll be this seasons Benteke, and that's probably accurate.

Think the Newcastle game will be indicative of what we can expect for the rest of the season.

Oh, and from a Liverpool point of view, Gerrard is just about done.

Edited by hogso

Liverpool broke everything up. took their time over every set play and generally stopped the game gaining any momentum, even in the first half - it wasn't expansive, it wasn't ambitious and it wasn't pretty, but it was a very professional away performance - if Arsenal could do that they'd be champions.

I thought we looked a tiny bit off the energy we had for the first two games, and I don't think Bacuna is ready - he gave the ball away a couple of times early on and it seemed to affect his confidence - he was a yard too far off his man and not strong enough when he he was called on to help against Enrique. Generally his passing was poor and he didn't really settle until he got the chance to go to right back, his MotM award produced a very odd noise; amused applause I think would be the best description.

Delph, Gabby, Okore and Luna all looked good to me.

I thought a point might have been a fair reflection of the play, but I certainly don't feel robbed. 

• Like 1

Â