• Westwood
    • Delph
    • Weimann
    • Agbonlahor
    • Benteke
    • El Ahmadi (for Lowton 65)
    • Tonev (for Weimann 73)
    • Helenius (for Westwood 83)

I take it the 2 lads kicked out of the lower holte after plop scored were plop fans?

One definitely was. I assumed the other was a Villa fan who had outed him, because he seemed quite aggrieved to be chucked out along with the other.

Can't think of much except Delph being awful. Kept winning the ball and immediately giving it away. Heard people complain about Gabby giving it away but at least he looked dangerous when on the ball. Pretty miserable game to watch compounded by infighting in the crowd, embarrassing.

What? Delph was clearly our best player. To intentionally single him out as our worst player is ridiculous.

And the 'infighting' was 2 Liverpool fans in the Lower Holte who went mad when they scored. Get your facts right before having a whinge.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 2

Bacunas inclusion was an odd one. I assume Sylla is not fit. I would be surprised if Bacuna plays next game.

Liked the look of Okore and I'm still positive about Helenius despite an uneventful debut.

I don't remember the last time a team like Liverpool sat back so deep against us, which shows how much respect our team is gaining. All in all we should be encouraged by the improvement in performance since last season and look forward positively.

• Like 1

Sorry lads, but at this stage of the season, I don't think we can blame 3 games in a week, tiredness, etc for that brutal first half performance. Painful to watch. Made the mistake of being excited all week about this game but it was the same ol same ol villa from last season. Much better second half but to be honest, for all our pressing, we are devoid of creativity. We just run up the pitch and then our midfield don't know what to do with it. I'm never confident we'll create a few clear-cut opportunities, and if we do, more often than not we miss them! Anyway, rant over, bring on the next bunch.

I'm really perplexed by how different the reactions to the Liverpool and Chelsea games are. They were both very similar performances, yet one has generally been hailed as a master class and one is called a reality check and dire.

What is the big difference in Villa's performance that everyone is seeing between the two games?

As I see it, our first half showed against Liverpool a kind of dazed lack of mental acuity. It was as if the boys were shaking off a hangover and psychological fog. This leads to a certain willingness to make overly risky passes that don't quite connect, unsettled shots, and a general frenzied but weary approach. In boxing they call it "punch drunk." I think they needed a break. They are not mentally prepared or deep enough as a squad for Champions League-style packed schedule -- not yet -- but it's nothing to worry about. They are exactly where they should be.

Against Chelsea, they were sloppy but, for the most part, the picture of aggression and alertness and hunger. Can mental alertness and sloppiness happen at the same time? Absolutely. It's typical of young, energetic teams. 

I think they'll have some needed time to reflect and rest. This is a good place to be in. 

I don't care what anyone says, this team is playing in a completely different universe to last year's. I have nothing but admiration and pride for this young team. Doesn't mean I don't see areas for improvement, but I remain astounded by the fruition of a long-nursed plan.

Edited by Shifted To Neutral

Can't think of much except Delph being awful. Kept winning the ball and immediately giving it away. Heard people complain about Gabby giving it away but at least he looked dangerous when on the ball. Pretty miserable game to watch compounded by infighting in the crowd, embarrassing.

What? Delph was clearly our best player. To intentionally single him out as our worst player is ridiculous.

And the 'infighting' was 2 Liverpool fans in the Lower Holte who went mad when they scored. Get your facts right before having a whinge.

The infighting was at the other end Stefan, some fuss and nonsense leading to Villa fans having a scuffle in the lower North - and nothing to do with the performance I'd have thought.

The infighting was at the other end Stefan, some fuss and nonsense leading to Villa fans having a scuffle in the lower North - and nothing to do with the performance I'd have thought.

I heard it was just stewards about standing. Fair enough. First point stands.

Watching Cardif-City game has made me think our performances against Arsenal and Chelsea lead to the wrong approach against Liverpool. We set up for both games in a way that meant anything but a defeat was a bonus. Because we did so well I think fans and players thought they could take the game to Liverpool and win. This new expectancy and approach back fired first half. Second half we had nothing to lose and it was a different game but too little to late.

I think as a club we need to remember we just about escaped relegation last season and approach games against superior opposition in the correct manner.

You see where I'm coming from?

Didn't see anyone else give the ball away as much as him, I know I'm not the only one who thought he was poor. He can be very frustrating to watch at times as he will do something positive and then proceed to **** it up afterwards. He did that at least 5 times that I noticed yesterday.

I'll leave the second part as it's been cleared up. Although it was nothing to do with the stewards.

Didn't see anyone else give the ball away as much as him, I know I'm not the only one who thought he was poor. He can be very frustrating to watch at times as he will do something positive and then proceed to **** it up afterwards. He did that at least 5 times that I noticed yesterday.

I'll leave the second part as it's been cleared up. Although it was nothing to do with the stewards.

Seriously? Even Bacuna???

Amazing how opinions can be so different. I thought Delph was our best player by a mile. Quick feet, taking people on, great tackling. Fantastic performance.

He does have some good qualities but he kept wasting his efforts by losing the ball. Opinions indeed...

Seriously? Even Bacuna???

Very serious. I thought Bacuna just had trouble decision making, got into good positions but didn't seem to know what to do next. He had a bad game but I don't think he was that bad...

Delph did everything brilliantly except control the ball. His dribbling tended to result in the ball flying about 10 feet in front of him and straight to a Liverpool player. He was much better in the second half though.

Bacuna can't get any worse, I think he was very badly affected by nerves because that first half performance was one of the worst displays I've seen from a professional footballer, it was utterly inept in terms of his lack of ability to control a football and pass it off to a shirt.

It was a mistake to start him but he must have looked good in training in order to get the nod, just he was out of his depth on this particular occasion.

Â