• Westwood
    • Delph
    • Weimann
    • Agbonlahor
    • Benteke
    • El Ahmadi (for Lowton 65)
    • Tonev (for Weimann 73)
    • Helenius (for Westwood 83)

Lots of negativity here tonight. Liverpool are a decent side who kept their defensive and midfield fours very tight all game and suffocated us every time we moved forward.

We had no answers in the first half but were much improved in the second. We outshot them 4 to 1 and there were very decent chances for Ben Turkey and Gabby so we could have won this by three or four and the same doomsday merchants on here would be working up a sweat with a box of tissues if we had !

Thought Delph was excellent again and his driving runs bode well for the season ahead. All in all, it was a different Villa to anything I saw last season and I remain very optimistic for the season ahead. 

• Like 2

I don't think we should be too critical. 3 games in a week and really we should have got something out of this game. Very impressed with Luna. Tonev will get better and likes a shot. Delph the pick of the midfield although he does give the ball away too much. Gabby not at his best. Benteke maybe could have taken that late opportunity. Overall not too bad!

tbh .. Our defence is getting much better ..

We made Coutinho and Cazorla and many of those three teams top midfielders quite .. 

Well I'm happy with that .. 

We were against a good Liverpool side .. So can't complain a lot .. 

Okore and Vlaar gives me much confidence in the defence ..

And I wanted Sylla to start instead of Bacuna .. as we seem to be less confident in the beginning of every game !

Hopefully we could get the points out of Newcastle ! 

Really - They only had one shot- thought they looked dead ordinary. Play like that home against anyone - we won't win many

Guzan 6

Lowton 6

Vlaar 5

Okore 6

Luna 6

Bacuna 2

Delph 5

Westwood 6

Weimann 5

Benteke 7

Gabby 6

I would have ripped your hands off for 3 points after those 3 games. Good start to the season, but we need to learn how to play at home.

Westwood higher than Delph, I think you were watching a different sport to me.

• Like 1

Well we lost to a slightly better team, with a better defensive unit and with some more class players. We pressed them in the second half, but we have to remember that they had scored the goal and didn't need to do anything else than keeping a clean sheet. They have two clean sheets in a row, we haven't kept one for some 25 games, which is very alarming indeed. I see people bringing up the shots made etc, but come on, we didn't create much today and most of those shots were never on target. We had one real chance and that was Benteke's shot that was brilliantly saved by Mignolet, I just wished he had tried the left corner instead. Gabby has another shot after a poor header by Toure, but that was just about it.

- Our energy was good throughout, a natural thing would have been to falter in the second half but we kept aggression all the way - some tired legs of course, but that's expected

- Okore looks good, but he was at fault for the goal as he let Sturridge run free into position. And that mistake in the second half makes it hard to warrant him a place over Clark/Baker right now

- Plan B: Where is it? Liverpool are a decent team, and they have more focus on defensive strategies, but we never did anything else to spice things up. Take out Benteke and we won't score

- Bacuna: Offensively I cannot see how he will make us any better to be honest. Too slow to give the ball away, passes to players who are already marked and makes some poor decisions

No shame in losing at home to Liverpool at all, especially after those two opening games. It just looks a little bit like last season, because when we are having momentum we never seem to create anything. Sure there is the odd header and bounce, but we seldom create clear-cut chances from open, deliberate play. Liverpool is one thing, let's see what happens against lesser teams with crappier defenses, that's where our final position in the table will be settled.

Oh well, only consolation is that Liverpool is decent and nothing more, they will never grab that 4th spot with the sort of play they are showing right now. I guess their deluded fans will think of 6 points against Stoke and Villa as awesome and a sure sign of finishing 1st. They'll grab 6th easily, but some 30 points behind the winner.

• Like 1

I didn't watch the game. Was Bacuna THAT bad? What was it about his performance that was so hideous?

Take the very worst bits of nzogbia - and you'll get the general idea. Outrageous selection/purchase  by  Lambert

Outrageous purchase? After 1 start in a new league? Wind your neck in.

• Like 2

I didn't watch the game. Was Bacuna THAT bad? What was it about his performance that was so hideous?

Take the very worst bits of nzogbia - and you'll get the general idea. Outrageous selection/purchase  by  Lambert

If you rate him thats another nail in his coffin.

I neither rate or don't rate him. He hasn't had long enough to judge either way. He looked poor today but tonnes of players have poor debuts and go on to have good careers.

Pathetic personal attack as well  :wave:

Undone by a tired first half and early goal conceded again. That said, much better second half. Bacuna wasn't as bad as many are making out. Passing judgment on a player far too early. Progress is what we are after and from end of last season to now we have steady and encouraging improvement.

Can't believe how we have been stitched up with having to play the Chelsea game within a few days of Arsenal then Liverpool today. Moyes moaning about Utd's first few fixtures last week was an insult. Didn't hear Lambert saying the fixtures were a fix.

• Like 1

Just got back. Hugely frustrating. Second half was okay but what a disappointing start. The fans were up for it. conditions perfect and then such a flat first half. I think we all realise that if we chase the ball Liverpool will pass us to death but to stand off and let them have it as much as we did in the first half, when we have so much youth and high energy/workrate in the side was very surprising and disappointing. 

Well we lost to a slightly better team, with a better defensive unit and with some more class players. We pressed them in the second half, but we have to remember that they had scored the goal and didn't need to do anything else than keeping a clean sheet. They have two clean sheets in a row, we haven't kept one for some 25 games, which is very alarming indeed. I see people bringing up the shots made etc, but come on, we didn't create much today and most of those shots were never on target. We had one real chance and that was Benteke's shot that was brilliantly saved by Mignolet, I just wished he had tried the left corner instead. Gabby has another shot after a poor header by Toure, but that was just about it.

- Our energy was good throughout, a natural thing would have been to falter in the second half but we kept aggression all the way - some tired legs of course, but that's expected

- Okore looks good, but he was at fault for the goal as he let Sturridge run free into position. And that mistake in the second half makes it hard to warrant him a place over Clark/Baker right now

- Plan B: Where is it? Liverpool are a decent team, and they have more focus on defensive strategies, but we never did anything else to spice things up. Take out Benteke and we won't score

- Bacuna: Offensively I cannot see how he will make us any better to be honest. Too slow to give the ball away, passes to players who are already marked and makes some poor decisions

No shame in losing at home to Liverpool at all, especially after those two opening games. It just looks a little bit like last season, because when we are having momentum we never seem to create anything. Sure there is the odd header and bounce, but we seldom create clear-cut chances from open, deliberate play. Liverpool is one thing, let's see what happens against lesser teams with crappier defenses, that's where our final position in the table will be settled.

Oh well, only consolation is that Liverpool is decent and nothing more, they will never grab that 4th spot with the sort of play they are showing right now. I guess their deluded fans will think of 6 points against Stoke and Villa as awesome and a sure sign of finishing 1st. They'll grab 6th easily, but some 30 points behind the winner.

Pretty much bang on.

Just get a room, bang, and release the tension boys. 

Why didn't Lambert put on Bent at all? Oh, yeah...he is scoring goals for another team...

Oh dear, that didn't take long.

Bent would've won us the match!  :rolleyes:

Â