Southampton

NurembergVillan

To be fair to the majority of the Saints fans most merely wonder how they lost that game, a question 99% of us would be asking if the tables had be reversed.

we have had our games as well though. Im sure some Arsenal fans couldnt believe they got a draw that Boxing day game when Knight equalised last minute. We battered them that night

To be fair to the majority of the Saints fans most merely wonder how they lost that game, a question 99% of us would be asking if the tables had be reversed.

I totally agree, but there's a line between saying we should have won that game and the attitude of the majority that think they should have walked to a 4-0 win because it Aston villa and they're shit.

Lot of bitter saints fans on saintsweb, I always have look around other forums to see what the opposition makes of us, quite a few "how did we lose to villa, we should be rolling teams like them over" comments and they have very short memories of where they were just 36 months ago.

Does not shock me, they have been so cocky recently.

I just kept saying "would be typical if we lose, we always struggle against smallbteams"

They HATED that.

The hype is justified for their fully fit first XI. 

They have 4 really exceptional players who could easily be sold to Champions League teams. Shaw, Schneiderlin, Lallana, Osvaldo.

They have Premier League guys like Lambert and Clyne who are top half standard, and young players like Ward-Prowse - who looks very composed and excellent passer - and Rodriguez - who's in the Shane Long "is he good enough for a top team?" zone - who don't look far out of place and will only get better.

At the back Boruc is a half-decent keeper at this level and their two main CBs Fonte and Lovren - well I'd rather have them in the Villa back 4 than Evans and Jones of Man Utd. 

So they have a high quality XI. Don't have a squad dept to push for Champions League so in that sense the hype is a bit ridiculous.

They do have a good squad yeah, it's just the way everyone's suddenly spaffing over their playing style that annoys me. It's decent, bu everyone goes on about them like they're Barcelona or Brazil. They're just the flavour of the month.

Edited by Mantis

They do have a good squad yeah, it's just the way everyone's suddenly spaffing over their playing style that annoys me. It's decent, bu everyone goes on about them like they're Barcelona or Brazil. They're just the flavour of the month.

The pundits are gushing because they're playing with a new-fangled continental system, even though it is only new-fangled to them, and is now well out-dated on the continent.

Southampton are a Bielsa team.

Bielsa’s impact on modern football is vast. Few Coaches are so frequently cited as an influence - in fact the words ‘Bielsista’ and ‘Bielsification’ have entered into the football lexicon. The Argentine’s ethos of aggressive defensive pressing with a high line, ball retention and verticality - not keeping the ball for its own sake - have helped make a decent Bilbao side appear formidable last term. Elements of Bielsa’s thinking have been adopted worldwide, most famously by Pep Guardiola, who once drove through the night to talk to Bielsa in Argentina.

http://www.football-espana.net/26648/bielsa-and-athletic%E2%80%99s-principle-problem

Watching saints last night I realised that that they do actually have some fantastic players. The fact we kept them very quiet now seems quite an achievement. Lambert played the perfect 'disrupting' game to nullify their tactics, something which not many others seem to do.

• Like 1

Great goal. There was no mention of Chambers who is only 18 on MOTD but he was outstanding in that game. I think Shaw should be in the England squad. He's good enough. To me Cole will be found out. Against Germany he was a ,iiability at times. Hope Hodgson is brave enough to make the tough decisions.

Great goal. There was no mention of Chambers who is only 18 on MOTD but he was outstanding in that game. I think Shaw should be in the England squad. He's good enough. To me Cole will be found out. Against Germany he was a ,iiability at times. Hope Hodgson is brave enough to make the tough decisions.

I thought Cole had a good game against Germany.

That said he's very lightweight, wide players are bigger and stronger than they were 10 years ago whilst Ashley seems to have lost a load of weight?

• 4 weeks later...
Â