Match thread

Phumfeinz

Good result against a good team. Great performances by Luna and Vlaar in particular.

Yeah I thought Vlaar looked fairly decent. Had a good understanding with Okore.

I can see that pairing starting against Arsenal.

We're not all that much different to last season. I expect we'll get turned over by Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea but should get enough points to be in a comfortable position come xmas

This basically. We haven't really improved from the 'end of last season' Villa

Great first half. Poor second. 

Some positives there. 

THAT is what I have a problem with. We were doing that all last season (turn up for 45 minutes). I just WISH they'd play for the full 90

Once we started losing possession in the centre of the park they got on top of us. At this stage I think Westwood is still a better option than El Ahmadi and while Tonev showed quite a bit he is still a bit raw and needs to develop a little more discipline in his passing.

While the first half was a bit of a walk in the park that second was a good, stern test for us and Lambert will have learned plenty. 

• Like 2

cruising in the 2nd half, Malaga must have a had a bollocking, the match was screaming for subs long before their 2nd goal

still think we can sneak 4 points out of the 1st 3 games, hitting teams on the counter, think tonev broke with the ball very well but then didn't always make the best decisions, vlaar and okore look decent, all about who he picks as the midfield 3, KEA didn't look that good today and delph didn't look as good as he has done, needs westwood, think he can have more say on the tempo and control of the midfield than the others can

poor 2nd half but its not doom and gloom

• Like 1

It's still hard to tell what really happened in the second half. For all we know, they could have been told to take it easy for the last 45 just to try to maintain the lead and make sure we don't pick up any knocks. That said, since it's the last friendly before Arsenal, it probably would make sense to play at least one game at full pace for 90 minutes for preparation, but I guess we'll never know. Plenty of positive though, the first half was an absolute joy to watch and I'd be more than happy if we continued that into next week.

cruising in the 2nd half, Malaga must have a had a bollocking, the match was screaming for subs long before their 2nd goal

still think we can sneak 4 points out of the 1st 3 games, hitting teams on the counter, think tonev broke with the ball very well but then didn't always make the best decisions, vlaar and okore look decent, all about who he picks as the midfield 3, KEA didn't look that good today and delph didn't look as good as he has done, needs westwood, think he can have more say on the tempo and control of the midfield than the others can

poor 2nd half but its not doom and gloom

Hoping that we bring in a 'real' central attacking midfielder before Arsenal. Tonev definitely suits the wide position better.

Malaga are nothing of the team that reached last season's CL Quarter Finals btw :) If Lambert plays KEA over Sylla against Arsenal I'll be fuming, he is shit against any opposition with a slight bit of class to them.

Edited by Avflife

That reminded me of Joshua Lomu in the RU World Cup swatting aside the entire England Side. Bring on the Arsenal !!

Been out all day so clicked on here to see score. This post really made me chuckle. For 2 reasons.... 1) I really could see Benteke like that 2) he sounds really weedy called Joshua... Think you mean Jonah...

Good result for the lads

Edited by mikeyp102

Didn't see Okore's OG. Was it a glaring mistake or just tough luck?

Seeing as AVTV don't seem to be able to manage replays I can't say for sure, but mostly the mistake was made by Luna allowing the rather good Pawlowski past him iirc. Okore could have done better, but had a pretty good game and I think he'll be excellent.

Luna is a very good footballer, but not necessarily much of a defender.

Loads of positives today, but again highlighting that AM position we need. Tonev did not look good in the middle, and I think as many have suggested that he fits better as a wide player. Still happy about the win, Malaga is still a good team even if they lost some of their more vital players.

Didn't see Okore's OG. Was it a glaring mistake or just tough luck?

Seeing as AVTV don't seem to be able to manage replays I can't say for sure, but mostly the mistake was made by Luna allowing the rather good Pawlowski past him iirc. Okore could have done better, but had a pretty good game and I think he'll be excellent.

Luna is a very good footballer, but not necessarily much of a defender.

Thanks. Didn't mean to put down Okore.

We're not all that much different to last season. I expect we'll get turned over by Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea but should get enough points to be in a comfortable position come xmas

This basically. We haven't really improved from the 'end of last season' Villa

Depending on what is meant by 'end of last season', that could mean top 8 form...

Just back.

They didn't turn up first half, we didn't turn the up the second.

The own goal from Okore was pretty bad luck, he could have done something about it but was caught in 2 minds I think.

Benteke's first was world class with his touch and skill to just dance around everyone.

Vlaar's header was exactly like Hereford's against us in front of the north last season.

The pass from Tonev into Benteke was beautiful. Unfortunately that was the best thing Tonev did all afternoon.

Both of their goals were very good. Not a lot we could have done about either and can't really blame poor defending.

I thought Delph and KEA were both really good. Don't get why anyone is saying he didn't have a good game.

Benteke could quite easily be the PL top scorer this season. They couldn't handle him.

Finally, Malaga's blonde no.19. WOW. Pawlowski I think. _Everything_ good they did came from him. He's exactly what we need in the AM spot.

• Like 2

Â