Match thread

Phumfeinz

Just back.

They didn't turn up first half, we didn't turn the up the second.

The own goal from Okore was pretty bad luck, he could have done something about it but was caught in 2 minds I think.

Benteke's first was world class with his touch and skill to just dance around everyone.

Vlaar's header was exactly like Hereford's against us in front of the north last season.

The pass from Tonev into Benteke was beautiful. Unfortunately that was the best thing Tonev did all afternoon.

Both of their goals were very good. Not a lot we could have done about either and can't really blame poor defending.

I thought Delph and KEA were both really good. Don't get why anyone is saying he didn't have a good game.

Benteke could quite easily be the PL top scorer this season. They couldn't handle him.

Finally, Malaga's blonde no.19. WOW. Pawlowski I think. _Everything_ good they did came from him. He's exactly what we need in the AM spot.

I'm just on the way back from the game and agree with everything you've said. Not sure why KEA is getting so much stick, he made loads of good interceptions and pressed really well.

Thought Okore looked solid and composed and looks a good player. Luna looks good on the ball but not so good off it and Tonev has something about him but needs to improve his football intelligence

Thought Tonev looked good today, the whole front four interchanging and linking up looked very dangerous. Also good that they all seem to be able to have a good effort from distance.

I wasn't going to stand and clap on the 19th but i looked like a right word removed not doing it with everyone around me doing it. It needs to stop though

This

Same.

I wasn't going to stand and clap on the 19th but i looked like a right word removed not doing it with everyone around me doing it. It needs to stop though

I sat awkwardly doing nothing...

I was half asleep at the game however a few things got my attention

1, watching the warm up and thinking how lazy Gabby was looking, it was proper half ased.

2, Luna looked sharp

3, that blonde kid playing on the wing for Malaga looked class

And the main thing

4, Lamberts suit and mostly his shoes? They looked like Huggs or black swede from where I was sitting? Can anyone confirm this please?

Went to the game today. A curate's egg of a peformance. Good and bad all in one game, often in a coupe of minutes. Bentenke 1st was liquid football. I would like to see it again but VP didnt seem to have replays or highlights today? As ever under Lambert, some really good stuff going forward esp in the 1st half. Nice link ups. Our fullbacks including Tony Moon are excellent going forward. At the back they did look exposed and got skinned several times.  Vlaar often had to do a last ditch tackle to save us. I loved his headed goal from a corner as well. Tonev looked ok, some of his set pieces was poor but the through ball to penatly was textbook. I  was suprised to see KEA start but he was good for the 1st half, but faded in the 2nd.  I thought Lambert might have done the subs earlier as we drifted after we went 3-0 up. Malaga got better as the game progressed, I dont know if they are earlier in their pre-season programme than us?

Overall 5 goals and some solid entertainment. We will not be dull this year. One final thought. Even at half empty, Villa Park looked beautiful on a summer's day, a week before all the madness starts again. Bring on Arsenal, the Villa are ready.

The first half we took apart a very good Spanish side. The only other team they will be used to being dominated by in that way would be Barcelona.

The second half this very good Spanish side started to become themselves and it was more of an even match.

It's going to be a fantastic season.

We pretty much looked the team from the second half of last season. I thought Lowton and Benteke looked top quality. The three new lads that started all shone in patches - but equally had some sticky moments as well. None of them at this point in time put in a performance to get terribly excited about. Luna and Okore looked like improvements over Bennett and Clarke - but neither looked world beater - Okore in particular looked pretty nervous early on.

Tonev only looks a fringe player to me.

Once Malaga got over the early onslaught they actually looked fairly decent. In that respect it was a test that Lambert and the boys had to face and come through, which they did although rather nervously. Lets not forget the Spanish side finished sixth in their league and had that surprising success in the CL.

Luna continues to impress and Vlaar/Okore looks to have promise, but theres still something missing? Maybe Sylla should have played instead of KEA, because too many times the guy gave the ball away.

I disagree that Tonev looks a bit player; he was more guilty of trying too hard to please. Certainly, he was no worse than Weimann or Gabby.

And Benteke? Just what will the lad be worth in 12mths time?

I was half asleep at the game however a few things got my attention

1, watching the warm up and thinking how lazy Gabby was looking, it was proper half ased.

He had an absolute shocker. He does my head in sometimes. He is so Jekyll and Hyde. Can be unplayable like against Norwich end of last season or a waste of space. People complain that Tonev was too raw. He made things happen. I would drop Gabby after that performance. 

As a pre season warm up game it was okay, the goals were all good along with some other bit's but overall I felt we were going through the paces.

Tonev will struggle to get a game on that performance, yes it was a good corner but the other 6/7 he took were rubbish and the amount of runs he went on only to lose the ball would have made even Insomnia blush.

KEA has already proved he isn't good enough and it looks like he will be given another chance to prove it again. Unless he was carrying a knock I didn't understand why Sylla didn't get on the pitch as for me it's was when he joined that our fortunes changed for the better last season.

The defence is still dodgy, at least twice (maybe 3 times) they dropped the ball over our defence but fortunately due to their poor finishing they came to nothing. Arsenal would have had a field day.

That said this was just another friendly and I don't expect any player to bust a gut, as we all know the 1st 3 games are going to be difficult I'm pleased that no one appeared to get injured and that we saw a Villa win.

• Like 1

Â