Janoi Donacien

Pembers

Looked useful in pre-season but after Saturdays performance there will be a few high profile bench warmers ahead of him so the loan is great timing.

Let's hope he can go there, take the chance to learn seriously and be one of their best players, it'd be nice to see Baker and Clark looking over their shoulder when he returns.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

yes, they're in league 2 now, i agree, i think it's a strange decision to send him on loan to a league 2 side but he should excel at that level, he's an excellent young prospect

It's still a competitive league and it will allow him to grow in certainty while gaining game time instead of coming in and out of a team. CB is one of those funny positions where you should expect late bloomers. As a CM for example you need better opponents and tactics to change how you run/ruin a game but as CB, generally, if you hold your position and understand how to play in a unit you do well. 

Keown made a good point about Stones, he needs to feel like he is Everton's defence before moving to a club like Chelsea. That sort of experience is a great way to progress your career.

I hope Janoi gets that sort of experience while on loan, he's a good player who needs game time to work out where his best position is. Not entirely sure he'll be a star but if he works on his positioning he might have a chance.

Feel like he would have had a bit more of a chance here by now if he was going to make it. Also he keeps being loaned out to league 2. Best of luck to him but can't see him featuring for us. 

Agreed. Can't see him being part of whatever bright new future we have lined up.

• 1 month later...

Forgot to reply on this thread(!).  I went to see Mansfield vs. Newport County last weekend (Dad is a Newport fan) and was keen to watch Donacien play.  Overall, he looks a decent defender.  Matt Green (Mansfield -> Small Heath -> back to Mansfield) is a very good player at that level and Janoi generally had him in his pocket.

The main thing that impressed me (and it wasn't noticeable second half, which was a shame) was that Janoi was organising the Newport backline.  He's a smart player with a good turn of pace.  The result was 3-0 to Mansfield, but a] Donacien made no faults and b] the Newport fans I was with seemed to rate him as Newport-MOTM.

However, from that match, I can't see him "making it" at Villa.  I think his time has just about passed by and he'll end up being a decent Championship defender.  Hopefully, this observation is incorrect as I think he's good a lot going for him.  About to turn 22 though...?

Â