Janoi Donacien

Pembers

I saw him play for us once - awesome pace, which is always good to have when you're a defender - hope he comes good and people don't get on his back when he makes a few mistakes a la Baker/Clark.

I saw him play for us once - awesome pace, which is always good to have when you're a defender - hope he comes good and people don't get on his back when he makes a few mistakes a la Baker/Clark.

People didn't get on their back for a few mistakes. People have criticised both players for constant mistakes and not being good enough. Now that's probably more to do with the way the club is run which has forced young players to play more and be relied on more than they should.

Until they made a mistake and were lambasted for it.

Not true at all. They were given plenty of support by the fans for at least two yrs. However, after that they still didn't progress or learn from previous mistakes and then got lambasted for it.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I can't think of many youth players who have had stick straight away. I think it's taken a long time for fans to lose patience with baker and Clark.

No-one jumped on Baker and Clark's back straight away, we all expected a steep learning curve and mistakes from both, the problem is they've had a decent amount of football/experience and neither have in any way improved, Baker in fact has gone backwards and Clark seems to have fallen our of favour completely even though I don't think his form was that bad when he lost his place last season.

I would fully expect Okore to make mistakes and take time to adjust next season, same with any new foreign or young player coming in.

This isn't the Baker or Clark thread, but for the record, I don't think it's fair to say that "neither have in any way improved". I appreciate that Clark ended the season on the bench and Baker had a horrible run-in, but at the start of last season, we were reasonably tight defensively, and they both had odd games partnering Vlaar where they looked good. I'm not saying either is a long-term answer - maybe Donacien will be - but people give them a disproportionate share of the blame. Fullbacks and midfielders are also responsible for our weak defence.  

Edited to bring a bit more on topic: does anyone think Donacien will get much game time this year? He sounds like an impressive physical presence, might be nice to see him get a few games. I thought it was notable that both Grealish and Robinson got token runarounds at the end of the season but this lad didn't. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I can't think of many youth players who have had stick straight away. I think it's taken a long time for fans to lose patience with baker and Clark.

Bannan, more or less. 

I disagree, I think one thing we are good at is getting behind academy graduates.

The problem is that they largely do not seem to improve at which point you have to admit that actually, they're not good enough.

I've lost track of 'exciting prospects' that have come with great promise that materialised into naff all

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Â