Manchester United

BOF

Because he wanted to further his career?

Ah, that old one! Its a classic!

Playing really well with a team that is on the up and performing excellently for 2 seasons; as soon as a 'big club' comes calling, need to jump ship quicksharp...

No mate, don't buy it... If he was still playing in League 1, yeah, I could understand it... but he had already done the hard work getting himself onto the big stage with Lallana and everybody else...

If all of those moneygrabbing turncoats like him, Lovren et al had stayed put, they could have been pulling up trees; you never know...

It's not like he moved to Newcastle, or Spurs, or Villa.  This is Manchester United we're talking about.  AND he was in the starting line up.  You can't compare this to someone who like Victor Moses who moved to Chelsea and never got a game.  He was moving on to the next level.  Champions League and 70,000 home fans.  He'd have been mental not to take that opportunity.

Le Tiss never did...

And Le Tiss never furthered his career.

There's a middle ground between one club hero and moneygrabbing mercenary.

He is a hero to an entire city and widely regarded as one of the most loyal men in football! How is that not a legacy in itself?!?

The very fact that you've had to reach 20 years into history to find an example of a Premier League player who specifically turned down bigger and better opportunities out of loyalty should tell you all you need to know about players not being fans. I mean, what other examples are there? 

Playing really well with a team that is on the up and performing excellently for 2 seasons; as soon as a 'big club' comes calling, need to jump ship quicksharp...

No mate, don't buy it... If he was still playing in League 1, yeah, I could understand it... but he had already done the hard work getting himself onto the big stage with Lallana and everybody else...

If all of those moneygrabbing turncoats like him, Lovren et al had stayed put, they could have been pulling up trees; you never know...

It's not like he moved to Newcastle, or Spurs, or Villa.  This is Manchester United we're talking about.  AND he was in the starting line up.  You can't compare this to someone who like Victor Moses who moved to Chelsea and never got a game.  He was moving on to the next level.  Champions League and 70,000 home fans.  He'd have been mental not to take that opportunity.

Le Tiss never did...

He is a hero to an entire city and widely regarded as one of the most loyal men in football! How is that not a legacy in itself?!?

The very fact that you've had to reach 20 years into history to find an example of a Premier League player who specifically turned down bigger and better opportunities out of loyalty should tell you all you need to know about players not being fans. I mean, what other examples are there? 

Solar eclipses don't happen every year mate... Doesn't mean that they shouldnt just because 'it didn't happen last year'...

sold his soul or just moved to a bigger club like has been happening since transfers began? if shaw had just been half decent would southampton had stuck by him because he was a local lad and come through their youth team or would they have gone out and bought someone else? its a 2 way street, they'd have bombed him off, as it is he's potentially very good so he's left, southampton have been rewarded

if you think shaw has gone to utd because they pay more money than southampton then are wrong, he's gone to utd because they are one of the top 5 teams in the world, they will compete for trophies over his career, he will play champions league and unfortunately his england prospects increase, southampton may have a good team right now but they arent one of english footballs bigger teams, they will be cherry picked, its inevitable, players will join utd and liverpool

ive got no problem with people criticising delph and sterling, or moses and begovic, or players that do move sideways chasing money, but shaw has made a huge leap forward here

by your logic in criticising shaw why arent you criticising westwood for not staying at crewe, gestede for not stopping at blackburn, amavi for not stopping at nice? or clyne for not being at palace any more?

Came here to make the exact same Westwood analogy :lol: . Spot on

How is the Westwood analogy from L1 Crewe to Premier League Villa in ANY way comparable to Luke Shaw from Southampton (who were kicking arse and could have made a massive impact in the Premier League) to Man U (who post Fergie, will never be the club they were) in any way the same? Because there was a transfer involved?

We'll leave it there then because in my head the reality of football at the moment is that if Westwood had a 15 year career at Crewe there's a better chance of them being a relegation threatened prem team then there is of Southampton being a title challenging champions league team

Southamptons highest league position has been 7th, 10 points off 4th, the year before when they had everyone and before getting cherry picked they were 8th, 23 points off 4th

I personally because of what happened with us don't buy in to the romanticism surrounding Southampton, Shaw left to join a bigger club, happens with 99.9% of transfers, nothing more nothing less

Le Tiss never did...

It is a legacy.

But that's not the same thing as furthering his career. 

Le Tiss staying at Southampton is admirable. But it didn't further his career.

Le Tiss never did...

Solar eclipses don't happen every year mate... Doesn't mean that they shouldnt just because 'it didn't happen last year'...

What does this even mean? :crylaugh:

(ps Solar eclipses happen at least twice a year. Awkward.)

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

I think we should just ban transfers. Players should only be allowed to sign for the clubs they supported as a kid, and forced to stay there.  Robbie Keane would have to pick one, or retire.

Southampton are a bunch of tin pot nobodies. They only found their way back up from obscurity because they got bought by a billionaire who thought Hampshire would be a nice place to park his yacht on Saturdays. Such was their financial dominance over their rivals they were able to get promoted with Nigel Adkins as manager.

To try to suggest that any person should not look to further their career out of some misguided sense of loyalty is absolutely bonkers. Loyalty usually only works one way. Since Gabby has been out of form most of our fans would sell him to the highest bidder. Five or six years ago there'd have been outrage if he left.

Shaw did absolutely the right thing, and quite frankly I'm appalled that you think him wanting to make the most of his ability is deserving of a double leg fracture.

Bang on. Every kid wants to play for the best team they can and get to the top of the game, otherwise what's the point, you should just play for your local team as a hobby. No loyalty in professional football, from either side, and it's best that way.

Well on the positive side the Glazers have decided to start issuing a dividend, hope they bleed the club dry.

Its a small dividend. They are businessmen running a business, who would have thought they want to make money. They aren't idiots, why would they bleed the club dry? They aren't interested in selling and United is probably the biggest club in the world commercially. They are continuously growing the club not bleeding it dry. 

Well on the positive side the Glazers have decided to start issuing a dividend, hope they bleed the club dry.

Its a small dividend. They are businessmen running a business, who would have thought they want to make money. They aren't idiots, why would they bleed the club dry? They aren't interested in selling and United is probably the biggest club in the world commercially. They are continuously growing the club not bleeding it dry. 

hence the "hope", I'm a Villa fan 

Oh, and once you embrace the parasites on the stock exchange...

I notice that "loyalty" doesn't get much of a mention in the VT transfer speculation thread when we're  linked with a promising player from a "smaller" club or less high profile league.

They must always pick us because we're a bigger club of course and that's that.

I think we should just ban transfers. Players should only be allowed to sign for the clubs they supported as a kid, and forced to stay there.  Robbie Keane would have to pick one, or retire.

Southampton are a bunch of tin pot nobodies. They only found their way back up from obscurity because they got bought by a billionaire who thought Hampshire would be a nice place to park his yacht on Saturdays. Such was their financial dominance over their rivals they were able to get promoted with Nigel Adkins as manager.

To try to suggest that any person should not look to further their career out of some misguided sense of loyalty is absolutely bonkers. Loyalty usually only works one way. Since Gabby has been out of form most of our fans would sell him to the highest bidder. Five or six years ago there'd have been outrage if he left.

Shaw did absolutely the right thing, and quite frankly I'm appalled that you think him wanting to make the most of his ability is deserving of a double leg fracture.

IM sure their fans werent complaining when they paid 1million for Lambert from Rochdale when in League 1

Shaw has been blighted by injuries since joining united. Its almost like he's cursed. I think he left Southampton too soon my self. What was he 18 years of age. He had plenty of time to further his career. I think a lot of players who have left Southampton have gone backwards. The grass isn't always greener even if the money is better.

Shaw has been blighted by injuries since joining united. Its almost like he's cursed. I think he left Southampton too soon my self. What was he 18 years of age. He had plenty of time to further his career. I think a lot of players who have left Southampton have gone backwards. The grass isn't always greener even if the money is better.

He's earning far more money being injured and not playing for man utd than if he'd stayed at Southampton.

If he'd have got this injury at the Saints then he'd likely never get the "big move". That is the thing with these young players when they get an approach from the big boys. They could get injured the following week and never see the opportunity again.

At least when they are young they have time to make the mistake whilst securing their financial future and then move more for footballing reasons after the contract ends.

• Like 2

Le Tiss never did...

Le Tiss never did...

Edited by DJ_Villain
Wrong quote

Le Tiss never did...

Do you see them all? Do you travel all over the world looking for total eclipses of the sun? No, I meant visible from the UK... I just assumed you may have read between the lines and seen I was implying that seeing a full solar eclipse wasn't an 'every day thing'.

And what it meant was just because I had to go back 20 years for an example doesn't mean that Luke Shaw couldn't have been the next player to do it and set a new example for everyone to admire...

As it is, he is now on a treatment table as a Man U player... and as such, I couldn't give a rats arse about his career progressing

Le Tiss never did...

Do you see them all? Do you travel all over the world looking for total eclipses of the sun? No, I meant visible from the UK... I just assumed you may have read between the lines and seen I was implying that seeing a full solar eclipse wasn't an 'every day thing'.

And what it meant was just because I had to go back 20 years for an example doesn't mean that Luke Shaw couldn't have been the next player to do it and set a new example for everyone to admire...

As it is, he is now on a treatment table as a Man U player... and as such, I couldn't give a rats arse about his career progressing

I still have no idea what you meant by that analogy.

I still have no idea what you meant by that analogy.

Total solar eclipses visible in the UK are rare occurrences as is loyalty in football.
Hanoi mentioned that I had to go back 20 years for the last occurrence of a player who specifically turned down a bigger team out of loyalty (Le Tissier)

I was saying that just because players haven't shown that loyalty for 20 years, doesn't mean they should just stop altogether...

Â