Manchester United

BOF

Whilst it's hard not to have a chuckle over yewunited, some of the criticism LVG is getting is close to hysterical. Look at his track record in the last 20 years. 6 league titles in 3 different countries and a Champions League title.  He  got them a top four last season and halfway through his second they are 5th on goal difference.  I reckon they should still get top 4 with their spending power. Leceister will fade and Spurs will get knackered after playing the high pressing style come about March. Managers just  don't seem to have the time to develop the side anymore. They are underachieving given the outlay but sacking the manager and starting again is not the solution. They are just like any other club now. Meh not my problem though!

Edited by The Fun Factory

21 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Whilst it's hard not to have a chuckle over yewunited, some of the criticism LVG is getting is close to hysterical. Look at his track record in the last 20 years. 6 league titles in 3 different countries and a Champions League title.  He  got them a top four last season and halfway through his second they are 5th on goal difference.  I reckon they should still get top 4 with their spending power. Leceister will fade and Spurs will get knackered after playing the high pressing style come about March. Managers just  don't seem to have the time to develop the side anymore. They are underachieving given the outlay but sacking the manager and starting again is not the solution. They are just like any other club now. Meh not my problem though!

Managers do got past their sell by date though and that appears to me to be the case with LVG, probably dosen't help he's been out of the loop last 4 years managing a national team aswell.

I said at the weekend it would be the same if a prem side appointed Capello. Another amazing manager in the 90s and into the 00s but he showed with England and Russia he was starting to get out of touch with modern football so think same would happen with a club team.

12 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

With the utter dross he has signed for ridiculous fees I don't think he deserves time tbfh.

Much better ways to deal with it though. So many managers get butthurt and defensive towards the media when things are not going well, and from there it just get's worse. Better to just stay calm and focus on the next game.

On 12/23/2015 at 07:34, rodders0223 said:

With the utter dross he has signed for ridiculous fees I don't think he deserves time tbfh.

Utter dross signed for ridiculous fees? Like who? All of his signings have been pretty good and the only ridiculous fee really is Rojo. Some you can say slightly cost more than they should have but that is the Manchester United tax. Practically unlimited money going through a transitioning period, clubs are going to rinse us dry on transfer fees. van Gaal isn't in charge of negotiating transfer fees anyway so it would be the same prices no matter who the manager is. Di Maria and Falcao are the only signing that haven't worked out and I don't think van Gaal can even get much blame for them. Falcao was a world class striker and was worth the shot on loan, if he could have got to anywhere near his top form he would have been an amazing signing. Didn't work out but at least we didn't shell out 50m for him. Di Maria didn't work out but again he is a world class player and van Gaal could hardly foresee his mental issues. Di Maria never even wanted to be their in the first place and his heart wasn't in it. His mind completely went after the break in as well. If Di Maria would have shown some mental strength and some desire to actually be in Manchester then he would have been a great signing as he was superb in his first month or two. 

Squad building was always a bit odd in my view, what happened to that world class CB next to Smalling, why was it Ramos or bust?

And in the last 12 months you've let go of Hernandez, Welbeck, RVP, Falcao. Yes 3/4 of those departures were justified and LVG never rated Hernandez but where was that experience striker to come in and share the load with Rooney. That was a massive gamble that has failed dismally this season. And I don't rate Memphis so think whatever you signed him for was way OTT.

On 12/23/2015 at 11:04, VillaChris said:

Managers do got past their sell by date though and that appears to me to be the case with LVG, probably dosen't help he's been out of the loop last 4 years managing a national team aswell.

I said at the weekend it would be the same if a prem side appointed Capello. Another amazing manager in the 90s and into the 00s but he showed with England and Russia he was starting to get out of touch with modern football so think same would happen with a club team.

Until this season most people probably would have said Ranieri was also past his used buy date. 

Maybe some moves just work our and others don't for a variety of reasons. 

9 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Squad building was always a bit odd in my view, what happened to that world class CB next to Smalling, why was it Ramos or bust?

And in the last 12 months you've let go of Hernandez, Welbeck, RVP, Falcao. Yes 3/4 of those departures were justified and LVG never rated Hernandez but where was that experience striker to come in and share the load with Rooney. That was a massive gamble that has failed dismally this season. And I don't rate Memphis so think whatever you signed him for was way OTT.

We were never seriously going for Ramos, we were trying to stand up to them so made outrageous demands and tried to rumble some players like they were doing to De Gea. We first tried with Ronaldo and Bale but they spoke out and said they were staying, Ramos was happy enough to play along to earn him sell a pay rise. We never actually had a chance of signing Ramos nor thought we did. It was all to get them to back off De Gea. van Gaal is a fan of small squads and was happy with his CB options. There are very few world class CBs out there and being tied for the best defensive record in the league suggests we don't need that world class CB as much as everyone claims. 

Not signing enough players is one of the negatives of van Gaal, we really could have done with another striker and right winger. The majority of the players he has signed though, have been good. About 21m potentially rising to 25m for a 21 year old who just won the Eredivisie golden boot and player of the year and rated as one of the top young players in the world is hardly steep whether you personally rate him or not. 

5 hours ago, tommybread said:

We were never seriously going for Ramos, we were trying to stand up to them so made outrageous demands and tried to rumble some players like they were doing to De Gea. We first tried with Ronaldo and Bale but they spoke out and said they were staying, Ramos was happy enough to play along to earn him sell a pay rise. We never actually had a chance of signing Ramos nor thought we did. It was all to get them to back off De Gea. van Gaal is a fan of small squads and was happy with his CB options. There are very few world class CBs out there and being tied for the best defensive record in the league suggests we don't need that world class CB as much as everyone claims. 

Not signing enough players is one of the negatives of van Gaal, we really could have done with another striker and right winger. The majority of the players he has signed though, have been good. About 21m potentially rising to 25m for a 21 year old who just won the Eredivisie golden boot and player of the year and rated as one of the top young players in the world is hardly steep whether you personally rate him or not. 

You could've done with a world class CB in the Champions league surely? Conceding 3 at Wolfsburg, 2 at PSV (o.k Luke Shaw's injury disrupted things and was a big blow given how well he started the season).

So what is your opinion of the decline this season because make no mistake Man. United are going one way and it isn't back towards Leicester and Arsenal. Amusingly quite a few are saying United are only 9 points off the top, yes but a couple of weeks ago it was only 3 or 4 points and playing Norwich and Bournemouth represented their easiest run of fixtures of the season.

I think like many it's only a matter of time before LVB is potted. Can see you losing to Stoke as they raise their game against the better teams and then being nulified by Chelsea so think that will be 1 point out of 6, 1 win out of 7 and difficult to see him carrying on.

On 25/12/2015 at 06:59, tommybread said:

Utter dross signed for ridiculous fees? Like who? All of his signings have been pretty good and the only ridiculous fee really is Rojo. Some you can say slightly cost more than they should have but that is the Manchester United tax. Practically unlimited money going through a transitioning period, clubs are going to rinse us dry on transfer fees. van Gaal isn't in charge of negotiating transfer fees anyway so it would be the same prices no matter who the manager is. Di Maria and Falcao are the only signing that haven't worked out and I don't think van Gaal can even get much blame for them. Falcao was a world class striker and was worth the shot on loan, if he could have got to anywhere near his top form he would have been an amazing signing. Didn't work out but at least we didn't shell out 50m for him. Di Maria didn't work out but again he is a world class player and van Gaal could hardly foresee his mental issues. Di Maria never even wanted to be their in the first place and his heart wasn't in it. His mind completely went after the break in as well. If Di Maria would have shown some mental strength and some desire to actually be in Manchester then he would have been a great signing as he was superb in his first month or two. 

Utter dross was a bit much, i agree but I think the transfer policy has been nothing short of abysmal.

Di Maria - Continually played out of position, never managed correctly. A 15m hit in 12 months plus at least £10m in fees and wages alone. How that was swept under the carpet so easily is beyond me, it wouldn't have at any other club.

Schweinsteiger, £15m fee and astronomical wages for a player Bayern, and 95% of the football viewing public knew was shot to shit 2 years ago. A legend but horrific buy.

Herrera, £30m. Good player I rate highly. Doesn't play.

Rojo, never a United centre half in a million years.

Valdes, another ridiculous signing, ridiculous contract, needless, money pissed up the wall again.

Martial, time will tell, crazy fee when United needed proven quality now.

Schneidlerlin, tidy player, I liked him at Southampton, nothing suggest to me he will ever justify £25m fee.

Then we have the outgoings. Peanuts received for players I will still back on getting in the side.

Nani £5m Hernandez £7m  RVP £5m

• Like 1

Â