Manchester United

BOF

14 hours ago, magnkarl said:

How long is the honeymoon period? 4 more games? If he wins 4 more games - would you say that it's still a honeymoon period, considering he'd probably get the record in PL for most wins in a row?

The cup winner's cup isn't Champions League.

Sure, there's some hype here. But I think the Phelan+OGS combination with AF in the background could be a contender with a new left back and a CB who isn't Jones.

Not sure really. This run could carry on for a few more games yet. Leicester away could be difficult but they should win there. So Liverpool at home could be their first potential defeat. 

On 15/01/2019 at 09:29, magnkarl said:

OGS took a weak, small team from a tiny village in Norway to two titles, several cups and to number 1 in his Europa League group, he's fostered players who play all over Europe, including some of the top wonderkids in Norway like Erling Haaland, Leo Ostigaard, M Elyonussi, F. Gulbrandsen etc..

I don't think Poch would even know how to handle a club like United, while OGS has close to 20 years worth of experience from the club.

A weak small team from a tiny village in  Norway? You're painting a very rosy picture here. 

Molde has won the cup and been runner up in the league a few times prior to Solskjær. They've also played in champions league. 

They're one of the club's with the best facilities in the league. 

You also forgot to mention the strong financial backing  Solskjaer got from Røkke, from the get go. All while Rosenborg was in a turmoil. 

Haaland came from Bryne. Really flourished under Solskjær though. 

Elyounoussi came thru in Sarpsborg.  

F. Gulbrandsen came thru in Lillstrøm. 

Leo Ostigaard hardly played for Moldes senior team(correct me if I'm wrong). 

Solskjær did a really good job in Molde. But don't make it sound like he was the mastermind behind a rags to riches story ala Leicester.

There are other managers in Norway who have done great jobs in way smaller clubs, with far less resources. 

When that's said. He's doing a great job in United so far. And I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up getting the job. I think they might end up competing for that 4th place. 

• Like 2

He's doing really well, well beyond the mere new manager bounce and players relieved to be rid of Mourinho.

He might even get the job long term if they keep it up.

Still feel thou that Man U, just like when he was a player see him more as a super sub manager, than as a regular.

Think this will end up similar to RDM's spell at Chelsea, although I don't see Manure winning the CL.

Can't dismiss he's had a very positive impact so far thou.

If this was Zidane coming in doing the same job pundits would be all over him being the best manager in the world.

But because it's not a big name coach it's just down to bringing the smiles back.

Very impressing so far from the guy, seem to know what he is doing. Will be interesting to see how he handles a defeat.

47 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

If this was Zidane coming in doing the same job pundits would be all over him being the best manager in the world.

But because it's not a big name coach it's just down to bringing the smiles back.

Very impressing so far from the guy, seem to know what he is doing. Will be interesting to see how he handles a defeat.

I think you have to take their track records into account. If it was Zidane his track record at Madrid would carry a lot of credibility compared say to failing at Cardiff.

I think it is fair to say the players at United are giving him more than they were giving Jose but it’s also fair to say he has given them a freedom to play that wasn’t there before.

I think it’s fair to say he is doing great, there isn’t enough reason to think he is great though.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Fancy Arsenal to beat them in the cup unless Emery puts a random 11 out.

Looking good in the league though. Can certainly see them finishing above Chelsea now. They were 11 points behind when OGS came in.

I think it can be a absolute goal fiesta.

Both defences are complete dog****

De Gea might be give them the edge

• Like 1

On 18/01/2019 at 14:54, sne said:

He's doing really well, well beyond the mere new manager bounce and players relieved to be rid of Mourinho.

He might even get the job long term if they keep it up.

Still feel thou that Man U, just like when he was a player see him more as a super sub manager, than as a regular.

Think this will end up similar to RDM's spell at Chelsea, although I don't see Manure winning the CL.

Can't dismiss he's had a very positive impact so far thou.

The difference between that Chelsea squad and this Utd squad is huge. Echoing what Villalad said people would be salivating if Zidane came in and did what OGS did. 

First they dismiss that he "only" beat weak teams. Then they dismissed him because "Spurs dominated them", although Utd beat spurs. Merson et al. has now moved the goal post to beating PSG away. Frankly I don't think Zidane would get anywhere near this run of results in his first season as Utd manager. He took over a squad of world class players all over the pitch, Solskjaer has a non-existent defense and plays in a much tougher league. La Liga besides the 3 top clubs is a joke, and if you can't get to the CL final with the set up below you need to find another job.

Navas

Carvajal - Varane - Ramos - Marcelo (Nacho, Pepe)

Kroos - Modric - Rodriguez - Isco (Asensio, Kovacic, Casemiro)

Ronaldo, Benzema, (Bale, Morata, Vazques, Coentrao)

Compare the above to this defensive set up and you see the gulf between these two squads.

A. Young - Jones - Lindelof - Shaw (Valencia, Talot)

I'd go as far as to say that what Zidane did echoes what RDM did in a much bigger fashion. Both that Chelsea squad and the Real Madrid squad who won for Zidane are many times better than what OGS has on offer. 

Edited by magnkarl
  • Confused 1

On 18/01/2019 at 13:51, Skruff said:

A weak small team from a tiny village in  Norway? You're painting a very rosy picture here. 

Molde has won the cup and been runner up in the league a few times prior to Solskjær. They've also played in champions league. 

They're one of the club's with the best facilities in the league. 

You also forgot to mention the strong financial backing  Solskjaer got from Røkke, from the get go. All while Rosenborg was in a turmoil. 

Haaland came from Bryne. Really flourished under Solskjær though. 

Elyounoussi came thru in Sarpsborg.  

F. Gulbrandsen came thru in Lillstrøm. 

Leo Ostigaard hardly played for Moldes senior team(correct me if I'm wrong). 

Solskjær did a really good job in Molde. But don't make it sound like he was the mastermind behind a rags to riches story ala Leicester.

There are other managers in Norway who have done great jobs in way smaller clubs, with far less resources. 

When that's said. He's doing a great job in United so far. And I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up getting the job. I think they might end up competing for that 4th place. 

All the above players flourished under OGS. This whole idea that Molde somehow had the "biggest budget" in the Norwegian league when he was there is fake news. They've never been above 3rd in spend while OGS was there, here's a breakdown for you:

First period in Molde:

10/11 - €1m in arrivals
11/12 - €1m in arrivals
12/13 - 975k in arrivals
13/14 - €2.6m in arrivals

Total departures 10-14 = €12m 

2nd period:

15/16 - 0 in arrivals
16/17 - 500k in arrivals
17/18 - 260k in arrivals
18/19 - €1m in arrivals

Total departures 15-18 = €15.75m

Your point about “strong financial backing” is totally untrue. The same period OGS was in Molde 6 Norwegian clubs outspend him. He's brought in far more than he's spent. While you say that RBK was in "turmoil", they spent close to 3 times as much as Molde in for example 13/14.

One more win and he's had the best ever start as a premier league manager. If people still call this a fluke they're deluded.

Edited by magnkarl

1 hour ago, magnkarl said:

All the above players flourished under OGS. This whole idea that Molde somehow had the "biggest budget" in the Norwegian league when he was there is fake news. They've never been above 3rd in spend while OGS was there, here's a breakdown for you:

First period in Molde:

10/11 - €1m in arrivals
11/12 - €1m in arrivals
12/13 - 975k in arrivals
13/14 - €2.6m in arrivals

Total departures 10-14 = €12m 

2nd period:

15/16 - 0 in arrivals
16/17 - 500k in arrivals
17/18 - 260k in arrivals
18/19 - €1m in arrivals

Total departures 15-18 = €15.75m

Your point about “strong financial backing” is totally untrue. The same period OGS was in Molde 6 Norwegian clubs outspend him. He's brought in far more than he's spent. While you say that RBK was in "turmoil, they spent close to 3 times as much as Molde in for example 13/14.

One more win and he's had the best ever start as a premier league manager. If people still call this a fluke they're deluded.

Some of the incoming transfer molde got are undisclosed. They've signed plenty of players on free transfers aswell during Ole time there. You can't ignore financial strength and ability to offer decent contracts either. 

10-25 million NOK a year on players are plenty of money for that league.

I never said unlimited spending. I said strong financial backing.  I guess it's all relative and we have different views on it.  

I said Rosenborg was in turmoil. I didn't say they didn't have money to spend? 

For the sake of the argument. lets say number 4 or 5 in spending during his time there. Which im guessing is a fair guess without going thru the numbers in detail. I expect Rosenborg, Vålerenga an Brann to be on top with Molde in the mix. Varying from year to year. 

It doesn't exactly fit the picture you were painting of taking small club from tiny village and making them champions. 

I'm not arguing that Ole did not do a good job in Molde. Because he did(as I said) And I'm not saying he had a City esque transfer budget even though you got that out of my post? 

However I have a problem with the narrative that Molde is a small club from a tiny village. And that you mention him as the mastermind behind some players who were all ready doing well before they joined Molde. 

What he's doing Manchester now is far more impressive then what he has ever done for Molde(imo). The results there speaks for themselves. And they keep accumilating. 

We're both rooting for him. So let's not turn this into a discussion about Moldes finances, I suspect we won't agree.

Wouldn't be surprised if they pick up a few more wins in the league. Which will leave him as the manager with the most successful start in premier league history. I don't think there will be many people left arguing that it's due to Mourinho not being there. Or a new manager bounce. 

Edited by Skruff
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

He's aged terribly.

from the baby faced assassin, to the wrinkly old testicle in 10 years is impressive. 

He must've caught the Villa-manager-accelerated-ageing disease (Villa MAAD) just from having an interview with us!

4 hours ago, magnkarl said:

Again, instead of giving the guy credit people are expecting that it's Fergie causing the team to play well. Paul Ince has a place in his next fairytale team he takes on. ;)

I do love conspiracy theories, its an interesting thought.

Again, given 77 year old Alex Ferguson has recently recovered from a Brain haemorrhage I doubt he's taking on much unnecessary stress these days.

I imagine his role, if any, is just giving OGS a bit of advice.

• Like 4

Â