VillaGoMarching

Somebody at Spurs needs to tell Levy he is not this great negotiator he thinks he is as he has cost Spurs yet again on transfer deadline day.

Also Berahino goes on strike and Wanyama refuses to play for Southampton this weekend, think dirty tricks going on

Someone - and thinking about it it might have been you - had a good line a while back about how we can't call Levy a great businessman if no-one wants to do business with him, and it's so true. Premier League clubs don't need to sell their best players on deadline day. It's easy to bully European clubs and Championship clubs, but come deadline day the player is more important than the money for West Brom and Southampton. They knew they wanted Berahino months ago, and £22m or thereabouts is a perfectly fair price for him. If they'd put in a sensible bid in July, they'd have got the player and West Brom wouldn't hate them for all eternity. 

Levy's problem is that his reputation as a hard-ass negotiator has got to the point that people avoid him like the plague even when it might not be in their best interests to. The very best negotiators ensure that while they get the best end of the deal, the other party comes away with enough satisfaction that they'll return to the table next time. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

Depends which way you want to look at it really. The money they have to spend is an insane amount to "maybe" get top 4 and youre very unlikely to stay there for very long. IIRC (i could be wrong), their netspend is close to the lowest in the division in recent years whilst still "challenging" for top 4. Think its difficult to call him anything other than a great businessman. Only have to look at plop to see the money you have to spend and still not get top 4. And united

Also everybody is willing to do business with anyone (apart from plop/united), theyre not just going to say "no i dont want your money because your levy". Him playing hardball does nothing damaging for future deals (it possibly could even help given teams wont just automatically inflate prices thinking hes going to spunk money). 

Should note, i know nothing about business.

Edited by gharperr

To be fair to Levy, it has worked in the past. He got some amazing deals for Bale, Berba and Keane off the top of my head.

Berbatov deal was a disaster and he got ripped off by Fergie and made take Campbell on loan, dont remember the Keane deal as he sold him 6 months earlier and rarely played when he signed him

Levy has now **** up 3 summers in a row at Spurs 

Depends which way you want to look at it really. The money they have to spend is an insane amount to "maybe" get top 4 and youre very unlikely to stay there for very long. IIRC (i could be wrong), their netspend is close to the lowest in the division in recent years whilst still "challenging" for top 4. Think its difficult to call him anything other than a great businessman. Only have to look at plop to see the money you have to spend and still not get top 4. And united

Also everybody is willing to do business with anyone (apart from plop/united), theyre not just going to say "no i dont want your money because your levy". Him playing hardball does nothing damaging for future deals (it possibly could even help given teams wont just automatically inflate prices thinking hes going to spunk money). 

Should note, i know nothing about business.

Well, David Hytner in the Guardian has a new column up, making the same point I did:

'Pochettino did not want to see Levy waiting until the last moment to get the striker which was so sorely needed or, indeed, the defensive midfielder to give the team increased bite and balance. But that was exactly what he got and not for the first time Levy faces uncomfortable questions over his approach to the market.

It is all very well having the consent of the player but that of the selling club can be an entirely different matter and Levy ran into a brick wall as the clock ticked towards 6pm on Tuesday. Axel Witsel, the Zenit St Petersburg midfielder, said that he wanted to move to Tottenham but his club had said no. “They can’t find a player to replace me,” Witsel said. “They told me I couldn’t leave. Even for €70m.”

Victor Wanyama, the Southampton midfielder, had told his manager, Ronald Koeman, last week that he wanted to join Tottenham and he was left out of the squad for Sunday’s home win over Norwich City. But it made no difference.Southampton were never going to sell one of their key players so late in the window. When Tottenham offered a package worth £20m, including either Andros Townsend or Erik Lamela on loan, it was dismissed in a heart-beat.

The situation with Berahino was not dissimilar. Tottenham had made their opening offer on 18 August but they did not put forward anything close to being acceptable until deadline day and by then the position of Jeremy Peace, the West Brom chairman, had become entrenched.

[...]

Levy stands accused of misjudging the market while his tried and trusted brinkmanship came to look outdated. Was there ever going to be a financial plus from taking in-coming business down to the wire? West Brom might have sold Berahino for £25m but never for less and it is fair to say that Tottenham were made fully aware of that. Their chances of signing Berahino would have been far greater had they offered £25m a few weeks ago.

There is also the issue of Levy’s previous coming back to haunt him. Put simply, you can only put noses out of joint so many times. Southampton felt sore last summer when Levy took Pochettino from them, and followed that up by making unacceptable moves for Morgan Schneiderlin and Jay Rodriguez. They were never going to let Wanyama go this summer and they were absolutely never going to sell him to Tottenham.

There are numerous stories within the game of Levy making offers that serve only to infuriate – most recently, one of his bids for Berahino featured payments of £3.5m each year for five years. It might have added up to an OK bid but it did not create the right climate for further negotiations. At West Brom they joked that Tottenham would still be paying their proposed add-ons when Berahino was drawing his pension. Levy is a famously hard negotiator but he can and does make things more difficult for himself.'

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

So now Adebaydonkey fails to show up for international duty with Togo.  If he doesn't have a valid reason for his no-show then surely FIFA have to suspend his pay.  You can't ban him because he's already out of Spurs' 25 man squad.  Hitting his pocket is the only thing he understands.  Again, this is all if there are no extenuating circumstances but it appears as though now he's happy to literally play zero football and think he can pick up 100 grand a week.  That can't be allowed to happen.

Why did anyone want him? It was always pretty clear that he has a dreadful attitude. 

I'm with you. I'm not saying there aren't maybe extenuating circumstances with what he's been through over the years, but all through the transfer window I was thinking he was too big a risk and was hoping we wouldn't get him. We dodged a bullet.

Spurs' squad list is hilarious. They have Adebayor listed there despite not being named in the 25 man squad to make it seem like they actually have more than one striker. And apparently Son was moved there from the midfield section after they failed to sign a striker on deadline day :crylaugh:

Edited by Keyblade

So now Adebaydonkey fails to show up for international duty with Togo.  If he doesn't have a valid reason for his no-show then surely FIFA have to suspend his pay.  You can't ban him because he's already out of Spurs' 25 man squad.  Hitting his pocket is the only thing he understands.  Again, this is all if there are no extenuating circumstances but it appears as though now he's happy to literally play zero football and think he can pick up 100 grand a week.  That can't be allowed to happen.

well I think he would be happy to play but the club have told him he has no future, They were stupid enough to give him a 100k a week and I hope he stays until the end of the season to **** LEvy over :)

A team who are light up front and don't choose one of their highest paid players tells me he did plenty to suggest he would not be happy to do his best. I don't mind Levy getting **** over but let's not paint donkey out to be the good guy here. He's a parasite.

• 4 months later...

So...surely this pochettino fella has started to become serious name thrown in the hat for united/city/chelsea job? Cant be much longer surely? He'll never get given the funds to win the prem with spurs and noway will they be offering him the amount of money other big teams can offer. It will probably go a bit AVB if terry insists on playing if he ever did go to chelsea. But swap terry for stones and it should help a ton

Also easily best cb pairing in the prem atm right? Pretty mad to think Ali just signed a new contract worth 25kp/w i think it was. (obviously he will get a new one at end of year if he keeps producing, but still weird to think about)

*showing i dont only talk about one london club....

Edited by gharperr

Â