Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

Except that you won't be allowed to teach anybody "your" way, because you have to teach to a very proscribed curriculum and method.

The days of the wacky inspirational teacher are long gone.

Except that you won't be allowed to teach anybody "your" way, because you have to teach to a very proscribed curriculum and method.

Wacky primary or secondary teacher yes, but surely there's still the wacky university lecturer. They move to their own beat don't they?

I think the whole concept of teaching in Universities is fairly flawed at the moment.

In the past 8 years I've had long term relationships with a girl studying outdoor leadership (Kayaking etc) and another studying Childcare. Both of them were assessed solely on written pieces of work; with points awarded for grammar and punctuation. Neither of them spent much of their time learning practical skills, and were instead encouraged to go and learn about their course from a book in their own time.

Fair enough if you're doing a course in English, but it's a fair bet that if you're going into the world of outdoor activities, then essay writing may well not be for you!

There's a cracking scene in Good Will Hunting where Will describes how he got himself a better education by going to a library and reading some books, which is exactly how I got my Accountancy qualification.

Wacky primary or secondary teacher yes, but surely there's still the wacky university lecturer. They move to their own beat don't they?

They have other pressures, mainly to do research (however meaningless) - publish or die. Teaching undergraduates comes a distant seconded.

TBF, a lot of them are natural arseholes though (I encounter them on a daily basis).

They have other pressures, mainly to do research (however meaningless) - publish or die. Teaching undergraduates comes a distant seconded.

TBF, a lot of them are natural arseholes though (I encounter them on a daily basis).

That's as may be, but my question was whether lecturers have their hands tied (i.e. whether they're de-wackied) over how they teach, to the same extent as teachers do. I don't think they do, so I don't think that's 'long gone'.

There's a still a bit of room to maneuver, isn't there?

Even if you have to stick to a set curriculum, in most cases you will be allowed to teach in the way you want.

My uni tutor was obsessed with bears and spent a large proportion of his lectures talking about them.

Far more interesting than analysis so no one complained!

Looking at your avatar, I think his fascination for bears rubbed off on you.

• Like 2

My uni tutor was obsessed with bears and spent a large proportion of his lectures talking about them.

Far more interesting than analysis so no one complained!

Looking at your avatar, I think his fascination for bears rubbed off on you.

That or Irish drinking establishments in the south Birmingham area!

So he only taught the bear minimum?

I think it was more like the bear necessities.

I couldn't resist

Grrrr. Earworm.

• Like 1

So he only taught the bear minimum?

I think it was more like the bear necessities.

I couldn't resist

Grrrr. Earworm.

Growl back at you Earthworm  :wub:

Time to stop fur-nishing this thread with stupid puns.

Okay okay :) that one was really shitty (goes off to hibernate under a log)

Edited by legov
  • Like 1

Â