Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

How old and infirm do you people think grandparents are? I am not pissing the bed and stocking up on Werthers. 

I am and I haven't even got any kids!

• Haha 1

Just now, Rds1983 said:

You've literally said that any kids who get hit by cars have it coming.

No I didnt, I said parents should be in control of their children.  I never said anything about fault, all I said was parents should be in control of their kids.  You’ve just put 2 and 2 and got 567 to suit your argument.

2 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

You've also ignored my question and spouted more nonsense. If the spaces close to the shop should be for old people why are you, who is not an old person parking in them? It's not a hard question to understand but you appear to be struggling with it. 

No I said if preferential treatment then it should be for old people not parent/child spots.  

11 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

You've contradicted yourself by using these spaces yourself. 

No not all because of my above comment

12 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Elderly people with mobility issues can also get disabled badges so would be parking closer to the shop then parents and children spaces.

Yeah the key point is mobility issues not the elderly part.  My point is there shouldn’t be parent/child places right outside the shop….you can have your own zone or a bit away from the shop I’m all ok with that but in front of the shops with dozens of these spots you can bugger off.  

Especially when parents abuse the system anyway when they use these spots even when they don’t have kids with them.  I just leave my nephews bumper seats in my car and I’m all good using those spots.

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

How old and infirm do you people think grandparents are? I am not pissing the bed and stocking up on Werthers. 

Who are you asking? Me?

If me, then I’m using grandparents I suppose in some kind of colloquial sense being of the older generation but I know that’s not the case as you can be grandparent in your 30s but generally when you think grandparent you think older people generally.

I am not pissing the bed

That one time after too many beers one night doesn’t count 😂😂😂

18 minutes ago, nick76 said:

No I didnt, I said parents should be in control of their children.  I never said anything about fault, all I said was parents should be in control of their kids.  You’ve just put 2 and 2 and got 567 to suit your argument.

No I said if preferential treatment then it should be for old people not parent/child spots.  

No not all because of my above comment

Yeah the key point is mobility issues not the elderly part.  My point is there shouldn’t be parent/child places right outside the shop….you can have your own zone or a bit away from the shop I’m all ok with that but in front of the shops with dozens of these spots you can bugger off.  

Especially when parents abuse the system anyway when they use these spots even when they don’t have kids with them.  I just leave my nephews bumper seats in my car and I’m all good using those spots.

The parking zone is close to the store so that parents don't have to try and control a trolley and (potentially multiple) young children whilst also looking out for inconsiderate gits driving to fast and not paying attention. A lot of car parks have no pavements or designated walking areas and you have to be in the road. It's nothing to do with the parents, it's to do with protecting vulnerable children that don't know better and can be hit by people not paying attention. No parents can control their kids 100% of the time, that's just the nature of kids. I bet even your nephew will be challenging at times and this system is designed to protect him. However, even if he is perfect he'd still be at risk of a bad driver who goes to fast and desperately tries to get into a space before someone else does or reverses without looking. It's not a difficult concept to try to understand. 

Your other points you're jumping about. You've said elderly now you're saying mobility. However mobility issues have the disabled zone closest to the shop. If your Mum has mobility issues get her a blue badge. Hell you could even borrow it to park in a disabled bay. 

By referencing mobility you're trying to argue that only people close to the shop should be disabled, who are already closest to the shop. You say the parent and child spots should be for elderly (or for more disabled), yet you then say you park in them yourself showing you don't actually believe that and you just want to be as close as possible as having to walk an extra 30 feet is such an inconvenience. 

The only bit you've said which is true is that nobody should abuse these spots (parents included) as doing so is selfish and lazy. Something you've admitted to doing and are now trying to justify your actions and failing to do so. 

If you just admitted you're being lazy/selfish and you don't want to be inconvenienced that'd be fine. Everyone feels that way at times, myself included. 

Anyways, I'm done trying to talk to you about this and I don't think I'll be responding anymore. I've got better things to do and it's not worth the energy (see there's me being lazy). 

Have a nice weekend. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

However, even if he is perfect he'd still be at risk of a bad driver who goes to fast and desperately tries to get into a space before someone else does or reverses without looking. It's not a difficult concept to try to understand. 

but that's the same whether he hits a kid or an adult...if the bad driver does that they are going to hit somebody.  Just as a kid might not see neither would an elderly person and an elderly person response would likely be slower.  Plus a bad driver is a bad driver.  I've just looked on the government website of injuries to children as pedestrians from cars is negligible compared to elderly people and thats before we even get into the sub category of in a car park, so your bad driver scenario is so remote that it does warrant a whole change in system.  In fact it is the lowest category of injuries in all age groups. The focus should be on the bad drivers.

12 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Your other points you're jumping about. You've said elderly now you're saying mobility.

No I said elderly, you brought up elderly with mobility issues.  I'm just saying you only get the blue badge if you have mobility issues....so you're jumping around.

13 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

By referencing mobility you're trying

You brought up mobility not me

13 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

The only bit you've said which is true is that nobody should abuse these spots (parents included) as doing so is selfish and lazy. Something you've admitted to doing and are now trying to justify your actions and failing to do so. 

I'm not justifying it, I dont need to justify it, I'm openly saying it's stupid, preferential treatment and I will ignore it if I can, I'm just telling you my position on it I dont care whether you agree with my position or not.  I suppose my explaining why I think that is trying to get justification I'm not saying it's justification I'm just telling why I do it.  Justification has an element of trying to prove I am right, I dont think I need to prove I am right.

18 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Anyways, I'm done trying to talk to you about this and I don't think I'll be responding anymore. I've got better things to do and it's not worth the energy (see there's me being lazy). 

It's a great topic who created this topic because it does engage conversation and different views and we arent always going to agree on every topic.

Enjoy your weekend too.  I'm sure we'll agree in the future than disagree on many other topics.

17 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Me, me, me, **** everybody else. 

I agree, parents just thinking it should be all about them and their family, impacts of their choices and they should get preferential treatment over anybody else.  It's so selfish.

You cant argue that I'm being the selfish one.  I'm saying everybody should have equal treatment in car parking apart from disabled people who should get special parking.  I'm actually thinking about everybody being equal.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I agree, parents just thinking it should be all about them and their family, impacts of their choices and they should get preferential treatment over anybody else.  It's so selfish.

You cant argue that I'm being the selfish one.  I'm saying everybody should have equal treatment in car parking apart from disabled people who should get special parking.  I'm actually thinking about everybody being equal.

Just a thought Nick but next time you visit your supermarket, ask the manager if you can have your very own reserved parking space close to the entrance with your very own engraved name plate on it, you never know pal.

• Like 3

This has put me in mind of something that really pisses me off.  The design of car parks. 

They generally pack in as many spaces as possible with zero planning for getting the people from their cars to the stores. Your just left to dodge the traffic taking your life in your hands whilst pillocks drive around oblivious to the fact that people might actually be around them. 

But mostly that the main thoroughfare is generly right in front of the store/stores.  They funnel every vehicle to the busiest point right in front of the shops.  Why not have the loop ends near the shops and funnel the cars to the far side of the car park? 

Some supermarkets it's almost impossible to get from the car park to the shop because of the numbers of cars flowing past the main doors. 

Shirley retail park is another example.  The main route in and out is right by the shop front.  You have to play chicken to actually get to the shops whilst the far end of the car park is like a desert. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Just a thought Nick but next time you visit your supermarket, ask the manager if you can have your very own reserved parking space close to the entrance with your very own engraved name plate on it, you never know pal.

Don't think he'll talk to me because last time I drove actually into the shop and the manager asked me what the hell I was I doing and I said sorry I thought it was drive through 😂

How has this reversed on me though, I asked for everybody to be treated the same yet I had mooney say "me, me, me" to me and you joking about a reserved plate just especially for me.  I'm actually arguing the opposite that everybody should be treated the same and it should be first come, first served which worked well enough for the last 80 years or so and while all things can be improved, not sure preferential treatment is improvement. 

• Haha 1

Unnecessarily complicated roundabouts.  The ones with lanes that seem to go all over the place and have 3 sets of traffic lights in, it's bad enough even if it's somewhere you live and kind of get used to it but in a place I've never driven before I've got no chance.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

This has put me in mind of something that really pisses me off.  The design of car parks. 

They generally pack in as many spaces as possible with zero planning for getting the people from their cars to the stores. Your just left to dodge the traffic taking your life I your hands whilst pillocks drive around oblivious to the fact that people might actually be around them. 

But mostly that the main thoroughfare is generly right in front of the store/stores.  They funnel every vehicle to the busiest point right in front of the shops.  Why not have the loop ends near the shops and funnel the cars to the far side of the car park? 

Some supermarkets it's almost impossible to get from the car park to the shop because of the numbers of cars flowing past the main doors. 

Shirley retail park is another example.  The main route in and out is right by the shop front.  You have to play chicken to actually get to the shops whilst the far end of the car park is like a desert. 

I agree. They need something like you get allocated a spot when you enter the car park.  If you are picking somebody up you have a different lane that goes by the shop but you have a 2 minute limit or something similar to the airports.  Otherwise you enter a car park and you get allocated by the machine the space close to the shop available.  The technology is already there, it would save a lot driving around and potential issues.  I like the car parks that between the front of the car of both lanes there is a walk way so you arent walking where the cars are driving.

On the whole I dont bother much these days, I just get Ocado to home deliver food so I dont know why I'm debating.  In fact that would be a better option for people with kids because they wouldnt have the hassle then.  I just dislike the preferential treatment because of choice they made...it's just bonkers! 

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Don't think he'll talk to me because last time I drove actually into the shop and the manager asked me what the hell I was I doing and I said sorry I thought it was drive through 😂

How has this reversed on me though, I asked for everybody to be treated the same yet I had mooney say "me, me, me" to me and you joking about a reserved plate just especially for me.  I'm actually arguing the opposite that everybody should be treated the same and it should be first come, first served which worked well enough for the last 80 years or so and while all things can be improved, not sure preferential treatment is improvement. 

Don't ask me, I'm not getting involved, just wanted to add a little humour.

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

@mjmooneyyou laughed against this comment, am I wrong though?  Am I being "me, me, me" or am I saying everybody should be treated the same whereas yourself you guys are arguing the selfish part that parents i assume like yourself should get preferential treatment?  that seems like the jist of your argument and trying to justify it by control of kids and such things.  It's hard to argue that I'm being selfish when I'm not asking for preferential treatment, I'm just asking for the same treatment as everybody else whereas you guys are saying that parents with kids should be getting preferential treatment.  I mean what other splits do you think people should have....

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

@mjmooneyyou laughed against this comment, am I wrong though?  Am I being "me, me, me" or am I saying everybody should be treated the same whereas yourself you guys are arguing the selfish part that parents i assume like yourself should get preferential treatment?  that seems like the jist of your argument and trying to justify it by control of kids and such things.  It's hard to argue that I'm being selfish when I'm not asking for preferential treatment, I'm just asking for the same treatment as everybody else whereas you guys are saying that parents with kids should be getting preferential treatment.  I mean what other splits do you think people should have....

You are being selfish.

I don't see you arguing that people in wheelchairs shouldn't be allowed in supermarkets because they're too wide in the aisles, or complaining they get too much space at the football. We all understand that small adjustments should be made to make certain people's lives easier. Even if the paraplegic teenager did make the choice to get in the car with their drunk dad, so should just have to live with the consequences.

Personally I'd never park in the disabled or parents bays, but it's never even crossed my mind that those extra few metres I walk should be boiling my piss.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

How can you post something in this thread then spend hours defending it.

The implication of you posting it here is you realise it's a petty/shitty opinion.

Easy, I'm working, waiting for reports to run. 

I posted a comment which I knew pissed me off that shouldnt which the name of the topic and thought nothing about it. 

It's neither petty or shitty opinion but the point of the comment and thread can be seen as something I shouldnt get worked up about.  It doesnt necessarily mean that the thing you are getting pissed off about is petty or shitty opinion. 

My view is not shitty or petty it's a very valid opinion that some are getting preferential treatment not because they cant help something like disability but because they choose to have children. 

The reason I'm still here debating is that waiting for things to run i have minutes and nothing seems to be going on in the on-topic area and I keep getting notifications of responses so I come back and comment.  I've almost finished my work so I'll be offline soon anyway but the way this topic divides people is interesting because the topic does divide people to be on either side of the argument.

5 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

You are being selfish.

I don't see you arguing that people in wheelchairs shouldn't be allowed in supermarkets because they're too wide in the aisles, or complaining they get too much space at the football. We all understand that small adjustments should be made to make certain people's lives easier. Even if the paraplegic teenager did make the choice to get in the car with their drunk dad, so should just have to live with the consequences.

Personally I'd never park in the disabled or parents bays, but it's never even crossed my mind that those extra few metres I walk should be boiling my piss.

Most of the time I park as far away from the shops as I can anyway just to avoid all the carnage.  Half the time I drive straight into a space, start walking to the shop and get there whilst the lazy arse who was in front of me is still sat there stressing waiting for a car to reverse out of the only front line space that's due to be vacated. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Easy, I'm working, waiting for reports to run. 

I posted a comment which I knew pissed me off that shouldnt which the name of the topic and thought nothing about it. 

It's neither petty or shitty opinion but the point of the comment and thread can be seen as something I shouldnt get worked up about.  It doesnt necessarily mean that the thing you are getting pissed off about is petty or shitty opinion. 

My view is not shitty or petty it's a very valid opinion that some are getting preferential treatment not because they cant help something like disability but because they choose to have children. 

The reason I'm still here debating is that waiting for things to run i have minutes and nothing seems to be going on in the on-topic area and I keep getting notifications of responses so I come back and comment.  I've almost finished my work so I'll be offline soon anyway but the way this topic divides people is interesting because the topic does divide people to be on either side of the argument.

image.png.ef99c0aa7950b1ff863c30c77de4dda3.png

Â