Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

5 hours ago, Genie said:

Yes exactly, they are an intelligence test, but just not in the way that the people who gleefully do them think.

Exactly. He doesn’t realise that the “only geniuses will get...” bit is to entice you to play it. 

As soon as you play it you’ve failed the test

• Like 1

Of course I just flossed off half a tooth. The fracture runs up to the gum line. It doesn't hurt, but if I don't get it looked at while in isolation, I run the risk of infection or further loss of the tooth and nerve exposure. 

Being from the Land of the Free, I will be paying for the fix out of pocket. Money that I don't really have.

Edited by maqroll
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

He knows a bit about Harry Potter and Nicki Minaj... that's pretty much it. I'm not even joking. Unfortunately no rounds based on either.

Its the double act we've all been waiting for! 

When we went into lockdown the director at work created a WhatsApp group for the managers at work. 

One of them keeps sending updates about his kids. Stuff like the paintings they’ve painted today. 

Why? Nobody cares. Nobody is replying. You’re the only person in the world who cares about the shit picture your kid has scribbled. 

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

When we went into lockdown the director at work created a WhatsApp group for the managers at work. 

One of them keeps sending updates about his kids. Stuff like the paintings they’ve painted today. 

Why? Nobody cares. Nobody is replying. You’re the only person in the world who cares about the shit picture your kid has scribbled. 

People keep bringing their shit underachieving kids on to our morning meetings and I've made myself slightly unpopular with a couple of people by just muting them if I hear children.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

People keep bringing their shit underachieving kids on to our morning meetings and I've made myself slightly unpopular with a couple of people by just muting them if I hear children.

Good. I’d be the same. 

You are the only person who likes your kids. Everyone else hates them

• Haha 1

Chill pills all around here.

Yes, there have been crying babies and background noise but hey, people are working from home during a pandemic.

It’s all been far more civilised and tolerant than I expected.

We’ll all be sat in our cars shouting at the car in front soon enough.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Chill pills all around here.

Yes, there have been crying babies and background noise but hey, people are working from home during a pandemic.

It’s all been far more civilised and tolerant than I expected.

We’ll all be sat in our cars shouting at the car in front soon enough.

Oh in the background I wouldn’t mind.

Its forcing them upon other people that I don’t care for.

Same goes in non pandemic scenarios too. Mothers bringing their new babies into the office for everyone to see. **** off. 

• Like 1

Our work WhatsApp group is just full of the regular lazy buggers trying to make out they’re actually doing some work! 

they didn’t make as much effort when we could see them at their desks pre lockdown so why they’re bothering now everyone’s at home is baffling! 

It’s your thing that pisses you off, so its totally legit.

Perhaps I’ve just lucked working in a less child orientated environment or something, but I can’t see the big deal. We’ve had a couple of skype meetings where someone has had a nipper on their knee or there’s been shouting. It must have cost us an extra 30 seconds in total.

I couldn’t care less about other people’s kids, I just let it go over my head. Like coffee rounds, or the lottery, or the 15 minute chat about Man Utd on Monday morning.

• Like 2

I wonder if this lockdown will change employers attitudes to working from home? Its proved that people can do the job and in most instances are far more efficient from home. 

I'm usually 2 days a week at home... if I could stretch that to 3 or 4 ideally, I'd look to move out to the countryside. 

• Like 1

Just now, Xela said:

I wonder if this lockdown will change employers attitudes to working from home? Its proved that people can do the job and in most instances are far more efficient from home. 

I'm usually 2 days a week at home... if I could stretch that to 3 or 4 ideally, I'd look to move out to the countryside. 

I won't be going back to the office full time when this is over, no way. I'm 5 days a week in there at the moment. I'll settle for 3 like you do. Mondays and maybe Wednesdays I'm working from home, and if they don't like it, I'm quitting. 

No way I'm going back to up to a couple of hours a day sat in congestion 5 days a week when it's been proven I can work from home and get more done.

I was in a position where I ‘had’ to work from the office because the company owner just couldn’t see how people really would work from home and not skive.

I’ve tried to fess up to him previously that actually, when I’m really busy and up against a deadline, that’s what I’ve done, I’ve put a meeting in the calendar and actually worked from home.

The truly dumb thing, my team are in Bromsgrove, Dorchester and London. So I’ve been travelling in to the Cardiff office to e-mail and phone them from there.

Really really hope we will re evaluate work practises after all of this.

17 minutes ago, Xela said:

I hope it changes my company’s attitude. They’re so behind the times. 

A lot of the time - especially if your company doesn't own the office - you work in the office because those chairs and desks of yours are **** expensive if they were to be empty.

Real estate innit.

11 hours ago, Xela said:

It's killing some of my bosses & managers above them cos they just don't trust us to do the job at home. It's a control thing too; they HAVE to see us, watch us, know our every movement almost. At one of the daily catch up meetings held on Teams, our senior manager asked how we were coping with working from home & I said "great - wouldnt mind this being a regular thing for quieter shifts (weekends)"........silence for about 10 seconds before she says "Hmm..we'll see, it's an interesting opinion there John......who knows ?" - insert chinny reckon emoji here !

10 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

A lot of the time - especially if your company doesn't own the office - you work in the office because those chairs and desks of yours are **** expensive if they were to be empty.

Real estate innit.

This will be the real way change will happen

Businesses realising they can save £££ by not having everyone in the office on the same day, and being able to spin it as 'we care about our staff'

7 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

This will be the real way change will happen

Businesses realising they can save £££ by not having everyone in the office on the same day, and being able to spin it as 'we care about our staff'

Absolutely.

Particularly real estate in cities.  Some workstations (desks) in London can cost £50k a year.  That's just 2/3m^2.

At Interserve, when they built their new HQ over at Birmingham airport, each desk space cost £16k.

I think there were 1500-2000 desk spaces in the building.

Edited by lapal_fan

12 hours ago, Xela said:

I'm not sure the empire builders would be happy with that.

The company I work for had three buildings all within about a 500m radius. They looked at the roles of people and how they could utilise working from home and hot desk practices so that one of the buildings could be given up.

Financially it made sense because why bother dragging everyone into an office, every day, when some of them don’t need to physically be there and have all this office space that actually isn’t really needed. The end result was they were able to get rid of a whole building (this included discontinuing some roles that were deemed no longer required, but only a small percentage) by splitting out that building across the remaining two and implementing WFH and hotdesking for certain teams. 

So basically now, what we’ve got in my building is that some people don’t have a fixed desk, but they’re given a laptop and work from home on some days & then go to the office on others. 

Rather than have, say, 3000 people at fixed desks across four floors they’ve now got two floors of 1500 people’s worth of space with team’s sharing the areas and co-ordinating their WFH practices. 

**** knows how it works in terms of hotdesking though. I wonder whether people have a desk they always try to sit on or whether they actually sit wherever on any given day (I don’t have any need to go to these floors so know nobody who works there or even what they do). 

Â