Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

1 minute ago, bickster said:

I am delivering my daughters belongings to her new abode, train just isn't possible. This is the first time I've actually driven to London in over 2 decades, possibly 3. The last time I did it would have been driving a transit van loaded with bands gear. I always get the train

Don't know if it's still true but if you get a ticket for one stop into Wales past Chester (Shotton), its cheaper (or it used to be) as travel to Wales is subsidised. Might want to check that out

It's actually not that bad on a weekend.

Friday sucks balls though.

• Like 1

I’ve spent a considerable amount of my life on the M6, driving between my home town Newport and Stoke/Warrington where I’ve lived latterly. 

Add into that two years spent commuting from Stoke to Irlam, all the Villa game’s I’ve been to and various other miscellaneous trips up and down it.

I hate it so much, I’m pretty sure there have been significant roadworks ongoing for that entire time in one stretch or another, total joke.

Edited by bannedfromHandV

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

We're from Oop North, we are waterproof

if you're on a flyer? Pooja on Upper Tooting Rd does a few curries and savoury and sweet munchies to take away.

The samosas and tikka rolls are to die for.

All the savouries are good actually.

1 minute ago, Xann said:

if you're on a flyer? Pooja on Upper Tooting Rd does a few curries and savoury and sweet munchies to take away.

The samosas and tikka rolls are to die for.

All the savouries are good actually.

How far is that from Balham High Road? I'm staying overnight anyway but any food recommends for evening would be good!

1 minute ago, bickster said:

How far is that from Balham High Road?

It's on that road, just further south into Tooting. Half way between Bec and Broadway tube stations.

If you want to sit down? Oh man - There's loads of places. Cheap and near the record shop.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I’ve spent a considerable amount of my life on the M6, driving between my home town Newport and Stoke/Warrington where I’ve lived latterly. 

Add into that two years spent commuting from Stoke to Irlam, all the Villa game’s I’ve been to and various other miscellaneous trips up and down it.

I hate it so much, I’m pretty sure there have been significant roadworks ongoing for that entire time in one stretch or another, total joke.

Newport, Stoke and the M6

Some people are just born lucky.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, bickster said:

I am delivering my daughters belongings to her new abode, train just isn't possible. This is the first time I've actually driven to London in over 2 decades, possibly 3. The last time I did it would have been driving a transit van loaded with bands gear. I always get the train

Don't know if it's still true but if you get a ticket for one stop into Wales past Chester (Shotton), its cheaper (or it used to be) as travel to Wales is subsidised. Might want to check that out

It’s not subsidised, it’s just stupid pricing.

Turn up at Cardiff Central at 6:30 and ask for a ticket to London, that’ll be £130 single

Turn up at Cardiff at 6:30 and ask for a ticket to Swindon and a ticket from Swindon to London, that’s £60 and £40 

Same seat on the same train.

35 minutes ago, bickster said:

My obligatory SFA anecdote:

Going to see SFA at Festival Hall, mis timed it as hadn’t realised other people would be on London roads on the same day.

I was driving and told the guys I would drive them as close to the door as I could and then it was just me to go cruising for parking. Get there, there’s a security hut and a single empty space next to it with chevron tape across it and a sign that says ‘reserved for band’.

So I drive in, through the tape and over the sign. Security guy comes out of his hut, I just shout ‘we’re really late’ and the security guy points at the RFH and shouts ‘go,go,go’.

He may, for some reason, have been under the impression we were the band. Didn’t even pay for the parking and had it guarded all evening. Top quality service, would bang again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s not subsidised, it’s just stupid pricing.

Turn up at Cardiff Central at 6:30 and ask for a ticket to London, that’ll be £130 single

Turn up at Cardiff at 6:30 and ask for a ticket to Swindon and a ticket from Swindon to London, that’s £60 and £40 

Same seat on the same train.

AKA the Swindon Switch, my mate does it every day for Bath to London. Its costing Great Western so much money that they are introducing new trains that don't stop in Swindon

There did used to be some sort of mad subsidy for Shotton that made it cheaper

• Like 1

@bickster thankfully a work trip so didn’t have to bother looking too hard. Can’t pay that price too many times when I have to wait a month to claim back though.

I feel for you. It’s only the last few years my dad has stopped driving to London twice a year to cart my shite around (plus pick up any outstanding DIY jobs).

I used to live just south of the railway bridge on the high road and now about a 5 minute walk from Balham tube station. I’m going to print a life sized version of your avatar to leave outside the tube and wait for someone to double take so I can id you...not in a creepy way though.

Edited by Sam-AVFC

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

@bickster thankfully a work trip so didn’t have to bother looking too hard. Can’t pay that price too many times when I have to wait a month to claim back though.

I feel for you. It’s only the last few years my dad has stopped driving to London twice a year to cart my shite around (plus pick up any outstanding DIY jobs).

I used to live just south of the railway bridge on the high road and now about a 5 minute walk from Balham tube station.

Sounds like you are my daughters neighbour! She's near that Post Office that's set back off the road

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

Sounds like you are my daughters neighbour! She's near that Post Office that's set back off the road

Yeah it’s not far away at all.

Forget being a neighbour, I was starting to worry I might actually be your daughter and I’ve just got my gender and timelines mixed up.

Edited by Sam-AVFC
  • Haha 1

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

Beautiful places man......................

Genuinely, it’s what you make of it, your own mindset.

Drives me nuts here, a town on the seaside with a choice of kiss me quick fairground beaches or quiet non commercial beaches a walk from the houses. A 15 minute train ride to Cardiff shopping and gigs, half decent football team, good fishing, an airport you can walk to and country parks on the boundary of the town. Then you talk to some people and apparently its a boring shit hole. 

Then you chat to someone from Lliswerry and they love it there, and rightly so.

43 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Genuinely, it’s what you make of it, your own mindset.

Drives me nuts here, a town on the seaside with a choice of kiss me quick fairground beaches or quiet non commercial beaches a walk from the houses. A 15 minute train ride to Cardiff shopping and gigs, half decent football team, good fishing, an airport you can walk to and country parks on the boundary of the town. Then you talk to some people and apparently its a boring shit hole. 

Then you chat to someone from Lliswerry and they love it there, and rightly so.

Haha Lliswerry........now that is a dump!

I was kidding man, I've lived in shitholes all my life and for some reason seem intent on perpetuating it :)

But yeah, I agree......life's what you make it! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

My journey home is going to be fun tonight...🙄

(I work at Fort Dunlop)

I used to work at Fort Dunlop.... I was working there on 9/11. 

/boring

Â