Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

Broken down in a layby on the A50 between Derby and Utoxeter. Oh the joys

tbh I’m quite fortunate. I think the timing belt has gone (only serviced this week). Car was fine, I’d actually stopped for a piss and a ciggie. It’s a good job I took the diversion to avoid some incident on the M6 otherwise I guess I’d be out of the car on the hard shoulder.

its the boredom that’s pissing me off

• Sad 1

Being worse at holding my alcohol the older I get. Surely it should be the other way? 

Went to a restaurant with some friends this weekend. 4 beers and two glasses of wine and I was a complete mess. I had a workout first mind, but still. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

17 hours ago, bickster said:

Broken down in a layby on the A50 between Derby and Utoxeter. Oh the joys

tbh I’m quite fortunate. I think the timing belt has gone (only serviced this week). Car was fine, I’d actually stopped for a piss and a ciggie. It’s a good job I took the diversion to avoid some incident on the M6 otherwise I guess I’d be out of the car on the hard shoulder.

its the boredom that’s pissing me off

Saw the M6 post earlier, but bringing up the A50 reminds me how much I hate that road (completely irrationally) too.

It isn't traffic - it's generally absolutely fine - but it just seems so annoying and boring.  The run of 7 or so roundabouts really annoys me too.  I live in Nottingham and often head to Manchester to see one of my mates, have recently taken to using the train purely to avoid the A50/M6 nightmare.  It's all horrific.

• Like 1

Which brings me to one of my own irrational dislikes. 

Why in the name of everything logical, isn't the A50 the road at the end of the M50?

Why does the M50 turn in to the A40. Does me in every time.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Why in the name of everything logical, isn't the A50 the road at the end of the M50?

Road and motorway numbering is generally annoying. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

Saw the M6 post earlier, but bringing up the A50 reminds me how much I hate that road (completely irrationally) too.

It isn't traffic - it's generally absolutely fine - but it just seems so annoying and boring.  The run of 7 or so roundabouts really annoys me too.  I live in Nottingham and often head to Manchester to see one of my mates, have recently taken to using the train purely to avoid the A50/M6 nightmare.  It's all horrific.

There is nothing irrational about hating a road that goes to Stoke

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Because... The M50 was thus named because it branched off the M5. The A40 was in existence a long time before the M50. The A40 was the major trunk road from London to Fishguard (prior to Motorways and Severn bridges)

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

Because... The M50 was thus named because it branched off the M5. The A40 was in existence a long time before the M50. The A40 was the major trunk road from London to Fishguard (prior to Motorways and Severn bridges)

Oh I understand the history of it, just not the actual real world logic.

I’m sure there was once a sign that said Londinium MMX mille passum but we’ve updated that.

It’s that same mentality of fudging along in a half hearted sort of modernisation that has B&Q selling timber at 6ft long by 300mm wide. 

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Oh I understand the history of it, just not the actual real world logic.

I’m sure there was once a sign that said Londinium MMX mille passum but we’ve updated that.

It’s that same mentality of fudging along in a half hearted sort of modernisation that has B&Q selling timber at 6ft long by 300mm wide. 

I do understand, I suffer from a similar affliction. But having given it some thought over many years I don't think there's a logical way of doing it. Starting with the A1, does every road that comes off it have to start with 1? Because it was originally a bloody long road. I'd estimate you'd end up with about 30% of the roads beginning with 1.

Then you have two imaginary roads A1 and A2 both start in London and end in different places, those two places are connected directly by another road, is that an A1 or an A2 road?

The systems a mess, it has ceased to be a system and ceased to be logical but I don't think it can be either

Â