Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

28 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Critics in general piss me off.  What is it that actually qualifies people to review music, films, dinner or whatever?  Pretentious bell ends, all of them.

I like the Jay Rayner restaurant reviews in the Observer. Every so often he goes somewhere he didn’t like and they’re really funny.

Yes, I read restaurant reviews in the Observer. I am truly a man of the people.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Critics in general piss me off.  What is it that actually qualifies people to review music, films, dinner or whatever?  Pretentious bell ends, all of them.

The number of music reviews I read where it's plain obvious they just don't like the band. 

Review the song/performance not your opinion of the band. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, sidcow said:

The number of music reviews I read where it's plain obvious they just don't like the band. 

Review the eong/performance not your opinion of the band. 

I read to many reviiews of albums where they talk about the bands history far more than the album itself. You're lucky if they mention more than two tracks

38 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Review the eong/performance not your opinion of the band. 

This was a big irritant for me during the punk era. The NME in particular would give a gig or album review to someone guaranteed to hate the band, for 'comedy' effect. Utterly pointless. I'd far rather have a fan do it, who would be prepared to be critical if the performance was sub-par, because they at least understood the genre. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

This was a big irritant for me during the punk era. The NME in particular would give a gig or album review to someone guaranteed to hate the band, for 'comedy' effect. Utterly pointless. I'd far rather have a fan do it, who would be prepared to be critical if the performance was sub-par, because they at least understood the genre. 

Trouble is, fans of the band tend to be fawning in their praise and the album is still shit

Current Nick Cave album is geting rave reviews, personally I think it's not that listenable and I'm a fan

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

When I had no money I remember buying an NME and somebody had done a rave review of a gig and a record by a band called RedSkins.

Basically said you need to get on this quick they’re like everything you love.

Having spent money on the NME I then went out and spent money on Redskins..... it was crap.

Then I noticed the lead singer in Redskins was the clearing in the woods who’d written the review.

Genuinely, that was the very last copy of the NME that I ever bought.

10 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

When I had no money I remember buying an NME and somebody had done a rave review of a gig and a record by a band called RedSkins.

Basically said you need to get on this quick they’re like everything you love.

Having spent money on the NME I then went out and spent money on Redskins..... it was crap.

Then I noticed the lead singer in Redskins was the clearing in the woods who’d written the review.

Genuinely, that was the very last copy of the NME that I ever bought.

X Moore always was a Representative for Wellingborough

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bickster said:

Trouble is, fans of the band tend to be fawning in their praise and the album is still shit

Current Nick Cave album is geting rave reviews, personally I think it's not that listenable and I'm a fan

I agree, that's equally bad. But I was thinking of the better journos. For example, Charles Shaar Murray was a huge fan of The Faces (as was I). But he quite rightly slated their "Overture and Beginners" live album, and explained why - he knew they were capable of better, and justified his criticisms. That's the only sort of bad review I like. 

Incidentally, I've tried to get into Nick Cave, including the new album, but I can't. 

People who go to offices in smart business dresses & suits, nicely groomed and smelling of Dolce & Gabbana, looking the real deal. 

And then, putting bright blue and yellow Asics on their feet.

Seriously?

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

People who go to offices in smart business dresses & suits, nicely groomed and smelling of Dolce & Gabbana, looking the real deal. 

And then, putting bright blue and yellow Asics on their feet.

Seriously?

I find the current trend of wearing what I would describe as "trampy trainers" utterly baffling.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

2 minutes silence and people can't stop clicking their mouse and keyboard for 120 seconds.

Just **** arseholes.

mad that people can’t contain themselves for a moment.

I do find myself confused around this time of year though, this is the 6th moment of silence I’ve observed over the past few days and I will be doing another tonight before a match. I think people would be a bit more observant if every football match and so on weren’t conducting them on any nearby date and time. Somewhat dilutes the message unfortunately.

47 minutes ago, a m ole said:

mad that people can’t contain themselves for a moment.

I do find myself confused around this time of year though, this is the 6th moment of silence I’ve observed over the past few days and I will be doing another tonight before a match. I think people would be a bit more observant if every football match and so on weren’t conducting them on any nearby date and time. Somewhat dilutes the message unfortunately.

Tricky one as everyone wants to pay a tribute to those people, but yeah, I agree. Just have it on the 11th. If there are no football games, that's fine, I am sure every one of the 30/40k people in the stands will observe the minute's silence in their workplace or home anyway. I don't really have to watch Sadio Mane or Leonardo Bacuna do it on the 7th of November at 5:30pm. 

On 08/11/2019 at 08:48, Vive_La_Villa said:

The way Netflix starts showing a clip of a program before you select it.  

I don’t think I’ll ever forget that his name is Billy Kimber and he runs the races! 

I wish you could turn this feature off. I hate it with a passion.

• Like 1

I have a similar issue with some of the screen grabs they use to promote a show. I’m watching something just now (the name escapes me) where the shot they use is clearly from fairly deep into the show so you know the main character didn’t top herself and made it to court to fight her case. Kinda removes all the jeopardy from they storyline up until that point. 

Edited by choffer

Twitter responses to a lovely clip with the veteran paying homage to his fellow (fallen) soldiers on BBC Breakfast.

The amount of "The young people of today are useless shits who are entitled etc etc" tweets from people born in the 50s and 60s is so hilariously ironic it's untrue. 

1.  what did they ever fight for?

2. Why are they somehow living vicariously through their parents/grandparents achievements? 

3.  Do they not realise that their input into parenting has led to this generation they are insulting? 

4.  Is the reason all teenagers now are "a bunch of pussies" because they were over-protected by parents thinking their little cherubs were going to get bummed by a paedo if they went outside on their own in the late 90s/early 00's? 

5. Are they entitled because they were given everything and if that happens entitlement generally happens because getting everything "now" becomes normal?

I obviously realise it's a small sample size, and not all people born in the 50s and 60s are like this, but a few thousand tweets is enough. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

What songs/albums have you listened to?

'cus if you've tried to get into his music, then that means you'd like to. And there will be a way in for you, because the range of stuff he's done is so wide. If you start in the middle there's a chance. And if you don't like this, then you can at least play at spotting famousers in the vid.

People who don't like Nick Cave

Yeah, I do think he's somebody I should like. And I certainly don't hate what he does. But it just doesn't seem to grab me. I've mainly listened to the Bad Seeds stuff. 

Dunno, maybe it's just the voice. 

Â