Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

Your carpet and the steaming are due to the scuttle drains being blocked. Lift up the bonnet and take the scuttle cover off. You may need to take the wipers off. You'll find a rubber sock like thingy where the water drains out of the scuttle. It'll be blocked with leaves and crap. Clear that and the water will drain out and stop the misting and the wet carpet.

31 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Your carpet and the steaming are due to the scuttle drains being blocked. Lift up the bonnet and take the scuttle cover off. You may need to take the wipers off. You'll find a rubber sock like thingy where the water drains out of the scuttle. It'll be blocked with leaves and crap. Clear that and the water will drain out and stop the misting and the wet carpet.

Thanks. Some googling suggested this should be the first port of call so good to have that reiterated. A job for tomorrow evening. Thankfully seems less involved than other VAG cars of the same era.

I have friend who runs a store, he called the bank and wanted an extra payment terminal for christmas, the bank told him that onslip was the cheapest terminal and it cost 49 euros.

Then we take it he said, and then came the bill:Starting fee 49 euros, terminal fee 1 month 49 euros, oh and last but not least the return fee 49 euros :crylaugh:

Not a bad business idea that, the shirt is 30 euros, if you want to take it home another 50 euros.

15 hours ago, Chindie said:

I swear the next thing to go wrong will end with something being broken with terminal intensity. Even if it has to be me.

FTFY :trollface:

What a load of shit. Its just an old childrens fairytale

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-38014161

UK author Jeanette Winterson has helped school children re-imagine the fairy tale Cinderella for a new generation.

As part of the BBC's 100 Women season, she visited a primary school in the Cotswolds to discuss ways in which Cinderella is sexist and then asked the children to come up with their own version

Edited by Xela

1 minute ago, Xela said:

What a load of shit. Its just an old childrens fairytale

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-38014161

Right. And just like attitudes to women have changed in the last 500 years, or whatever, maybe the stories we tell our kids could change just a teeny bit as well. 

I'm a bit at a loss as to what is so outrageous about this. 

• Like 2

There is nothing wrong with the original story. Its not sexist that I can see.

Anyway, its called the things that piss you off that shouldn't so its right in that category!

I don't think there's anything wrong with having a discussion about it then coming up with their own ideas around it. That's good teaching and implementing early critical thinking lessons. It's not an example of overly PC culture if that's what you're getting at. (not saying you are!)

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Right. And just like attitudes to women have changed in the last 500 years, or whatever, maybe the stories we tell our kids could change just a teeny bit as well. 

I'm a bit at a loss as to what is so outrageous about this. 

Retrospectively changing the contents of old books is a very dangerous thing to be doing.  If a story is outdated then don't tell it.  Or tell it as a lesson of where we used to be and why we're not there any more.  Then make a new story from scratch.  But going back like some Orwellian Ministry of Truth under the guise of progress and surreptitiously editing old works is utterly contemptible IMHO.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Retrospectively changing the contents of old books is a very dangerous thing to be doing.  If a story is outdated then don't tell it.  Or tell it as a lesson of where we used to be and why we're not there any more.  Then make a new story from scratch.  But going back like some Orwellian Ministry of Truth under the guise of progress and surreptitiously editing old works is utterly contemptible IMHO.

That isn't what is happening here.

Kids are smart. Give them the questioning techniques they need and ask them to assess, then retell the story using their opinions. Personally I think it's a great lesson. Both introducing critical thinking and how sexism is in plenty of 'mainstream' things and how to assess that sensibly.

For me, it would be dangerous if we started banning it as a story for being sexist. That would be a perfect example of overly PC culture.

• Like 2

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

That isn't what is happening here.

Kids are smart. Give them the questioning techniques they need and ask them to assess, then retell the story using their opinions. Personally I think it's a great lesson. Both introducing critical thinking and how sexism is in plenty of 'mainstream' things and how to assess that sensibly.

For me, it would be dangerous if we started banning it as a story for being sexist. That would be a perfect example of overly PC culture.

I agree that they haven't gone that far here, but they've done it in the past already (Huck Finn), and it doesn't take a huge leap to go from what they're doing here to taking that next step of editing and banning.

Plus, it is prejudicing the responses by stating from the off that the story is sexist, and then getting them to answer why that is a fact.  Which is not a healthy method of discussion and is completely self-serving.

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Plus, it is prejudicing the responses by stating from the off that the story is sexist, and then getting them to answer why that is a fact.  

Is she doing that though?

Admittedly I've only watched the first minute or so, but it seemed she was introducing the idea of sexism as part of a discussion that the children led. The only moniker was 'how could we change the story to make it more equal between the men and the women?'

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

Is she doing that though?

Admittedly I've only watched the first minute or so, but it seemed she was introducing the idea of sexism as part of a discussion that the children led. The only moniker was 'how could we change the story to make it more equal between the men and the women?'

I'm only going on the wording here "she visited a primary school in the Cotswolds to discuss ways in which Cinderella is sexist and then asked the children to come up with their own version. I can't watch the video in work.  I guess it just pushed my wrong button :D

Â