Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

I use a clockwork chicken twisty timer.

If I've decided something is 'done' before the time I've dialled in, I force the timer around to make it ding. Don't want it going off when I've left the kitchen.

---

Here's one for you clock obsessives, my bedroom alarm clock is set 12 minutes fast so when it goes off, I know I can have a little 10 minute lie in and still be 2 minutes ahead of the game.

• Like 2

I've never understood those people who set clocks slightly fast. My Dad used to do it. He had his car clock set 10 minutes fast so that he'd always be early to work.

But surely as soon as you KNOW it's 10 minutes fast, then it no longer works?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BOF said:

Why not set the alarm 12 minutes earlier you psychotic animal?

Set the alarm for 6:18am when I don't need to get up until 6:30am? What sort of masochistic whacko job does that?

No, no, no, set the alarm for 6:30am WHICH IS WHEN I NEED TO BE GETTING UP.

But set the clock 12 minutes fast, so I know there's some slack in the system. Idiot proof.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Set the alarm for 6:18am when I don't need to get up until 6:30am? What sort of masochistic whacko job does that?

No, no, no, set the alarm for 6:30am WHICH IS WHEN I NEED TO BE GETTING UP.

But set the clock 12 minutes fast, so I know there's some slack in the system. Idiot proof.

:detect:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Here's one for you clock obsessives, my bedroom alarm clock is set 12 minutes fast so when it goes off, I know I can have a little 10 minute lie in and still be 2 minutes ahead of the game.

I'm with you on this one , but I set 2 alarms  ,one at 8:20 and another at 8:30  * thus giving me my extra 10 minutes but also ensuring I don't doze off and wake up and find it's 3:26 in the afternoon

* on the days I take the kids to school the alarm is 07:00 and 07:10 before I get accused of laziness , Mrs H and I take it in turns for the lay in whilst the other has to suffer for her lapse in judgement of agreeing to sleep with me twice .

• Like 4

I have 2 alarms. One set 15 minutes before I need to get up. The other set for when I need to get up.

I absolutely hate waking up and having to get straight out of bed. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I have 2 alarms. One set 15 minutes before I need to get up. The other set for when I need to get up.

I do this.

Today I woke up 2 hours after my first one.

I must have switched both of them off in my sleep :(

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I hate it too, which is why I wish they'd invent some kind of 'snooze' feature which allows me to set it a little earlier and then wake me again at the time.

That way, I'd get my lie-in, I'd be up on time and all my clocks would be set correctly.

Two alarms. Set for exactly the same time. Both at opposite ends of the room. If I have to actually get out of bed and walk around to turn them off, it lowers the chance of falling back into bed.

7 minutes ago, BOF said:

I hate it too, which is why I wish they'd invent some kind of 'snooze' feature which allows me to set it a little earlier and then wake me again at the time.

That way, I'd get my lie-in, I'd be up on time and all my clocks would be set correctly.

I don't like the snooze button. Too tempting. 

My way I know when the second alarm goes off, I'm out of bed.

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

You're kind of gambling there, with that set-up, BOF. I mean you're on a one unit strategy, which has the advantage of simplicity, but there's risks from single point failure, from a flayed arm in the night, from battery/mains voltage issues.

I used to go for a 3 unit arrangement, but since the demise of my 1980s digital travel alarm, I'm down to just the clock radio thing (set to iPod  - which reminds me of another TTPYO..) and the iPad "get up now you're late" alarm. So far It's seen me OK.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

I usually wake up at least 5 times during a night so there's not really any need for an alarm for me as I'll always wake up prior to when I need to be up anyway.

Same here. It's very rare that I'm not already awake when the alarm(s) go off but I'm not Mooney enough to risk not setting the alarm.

The thing that sprang to mind is "everyone on the radio or TV in the early weekday morning*, ever "

Radio 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6**, commercial radio....no all really annoy me. 

*except for TMS when England are in that abroadia they go to, to play their cricket games

**acceptable when Keaveny is not on, though. I can't stand him.

10 minutes ago, blandy said:

You're kind of gambling there, with that set-up, BOF. I mean you're on a one unit strategy, which has the advantage of simplicity, but there's risks from single point failure, from a flayed arm in the night, from battery/mains voltage issues.

I used to go for a 3 unit arrangement, but since the demise of my 1980s digital travel alarm, I'm down to just the clock radio thing (set to iPod  - which reminds me of another TTPYO..) and the iPad "get up now you're late" alarm. So far It's seen me OK.

I still have the same Bush digital alarm clock that I've had since Primary school.  It's sentimental at this stage :) 

321852216952_1.jpg

• Like 1

Two alarms?

,,,only two alarms?

You really bad people live dangerously. I have got 7 alarms on my phone, at 2 minute intervals. Same on my Tablet. Across the room. Then I have my TV programmed to come on 10 minutes later at 100 volume.

I don't play **** games when it comes to getting up on time. Cannot abide by lateness.

I've had my alarm clock for over 15 years too.  I thought I was the only one who sets their alarm fast so that when you press the snooze button, you actually wake up when you originally wanted to.  Glad to know I'm not a weirdo.

I don't actually have a microwave, I cook my ready meals in the oven.  I have a bit of class, you know.

• Like 1

Â