Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

23 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I think it's becoming increasingly redundant for that purpose with VOIP/ messenger apps.

It's no wonder they are investing so heavily in diversification (Whatsapp, Oculus etc) and will continue to do so, because Facebook (as a social network) will not last.

Facebook has over ONE BILLION active daily users. Clearly on its way out...

• Like 1

Just now, mjmooney said:

Facebook has over ONE BILLION active daily users. Clearly on its way out...

Well, growth in users is slowing, and the collection of 'active daily' usage statistics is pretty flawed, unless you actually believe what they report about their own product.

Plus, these sorts of things are highly prone to preference shocks or shifts, so I don't anticipate it to have as many 'active' users by the end of this decade. These things never seem to have significant longevity, they know this, which is why they've invested so much and have diversified over the past 5 years.

6 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Amy Schumer, unfunny human mudslide. 

I think she's very funny. Her show on Comedy Central is excellent. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.  

20 hours ago, blandy said:

I don't know how to use it. I've never joined it. Why would I?

To clarify in Mooney's stead.  People on facebook who don't know how to use facebook.

• Like 1

Work.

Absolute dog shit day means I have a lot to do tomorrow and a few phone calls need to be made that I'm not looking forward to. Means I won't sleep tonight now worrying about that. 

Since I had a turn at work last October, ive had 3/4 panic attacks, basically me genuinely thinking I was having a heart attack has led to me having anxiety issues about me having a heart attack, which leads to a panic attack, it's **** shit. 

After a dozen visits to my gp, where they've told me to do the usual (cut down on the booze fags and caffeine) which I did, with no difference to the anxiety I went back to the gp today who prescribed me anti depressants, which have a side effect of - anxiety and panic attacks. 

• Like 1

Work.

Absolute dog shit day means I have a lot to do tomorrow and a few phone calls need to be made that I'm not looking forward to. Means I won't sleep tonight now worrying about that. 

Sorry to hear that. I often think to myself 'what's the worst that could happen'. Then I realise the answer to that question is tell my boss how much I despise her a human being and wish her dead.

Which is quite bad.

So, what's the worst that could happen?

12 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

Since I had a turn at work last October, ive had 3/4 panic attacks, basically me genuinely thinking I was having a heart attack has led to me having anxiety issues about me having a heart attack, which leads to a panic attack, it's **** shit. 

After a dozen visits to my gp, where they've told me to do the usual (cut down on the booze fags and caffeine) which I did, with no difference to the anxiety I went back to the gp today who prescribed me anti depressants, which have a side effect of - anxiety and panic attacks. 

Exercise and yoga  FTW. 

• Like 2

I've upped the excercise, not only because of the panic attacks but because I've put a fair bit of weight on in the last few years, so I've started swimming on weekends, I'll look into the yoga thing cus I really don't want to be taking anti depressents

I've upped the excercise, not only because of the panic attacks but because I've put a fair bit of weight on in the last few years, so I've started swimming on weekends, I'll look into the yoga thing cus I really don't want to be taking anti depressents

Exactly like how it manifested with me. Panic attacks from fixating on heart palpitations now and again. Then the anxiety gave me more PVCs and the cycle got worse.

Few times in A&E with ECGs and I decided I didn't want to live like this so I took up running.

Now every time there's a slight chance of me thinking there's something wrong, I have years of evidence of my heart powering me through marathons and half marathons and 100 mile cycles etc so my anxiety doesn't have a leg to stand on and can't take root.

In retrospect, I think being overweight caused the most amount of issues. You can be a bit overweight but still being affected by visceral fat causing heart, esophagus, stomach constriction etc which doesn't help.

My advice is to anyone who needs to focus on something else to relieve anxiety - take up running. Go to running groups and get interested in it. When you feel like you're starting to get a bit overwhelmed by panic again, just go out for a run.

The emergency breathing into a paper bag is very effective though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

Assuming you have one of those fangled smart phone things there's an app called Headspace.  It's user friendly (and non-hippy) guided meditation that help you to control your breathing, and therefore your mind, and only needs 10 mins per day.

I've done a lot of work on the benefits of yoga and meditation in the last 18 months.  It's going to be worth a try for you...

• Like 2

My manager spoke to me about my attitude today. I work in a results industry. I had to explain to this guy on twice my salary that if you want results, (which we met every month last year) it causes a ickle bit of pressure, which then may rub off on other members of staff. It is impossible for anyone surely to be polite to all the staff every working day. Apparently I upset a grown man (who apparently needed to leave site) by saying his department never gets stuff done on time. I was fighting/pushing them all last year, an still managed to achieve my budgets.

A Palestinian guy who is studying in Lodz was racially abused just buying stuff at a shop, but he managed to film it happening. The video went viral on Facebook and the guy ended up being recognised as an erotic dancer :lol:. It also made it to a national news network  and the guy who did it (a firefighter as well ffs) now faces up to 3 years in prison.

Both pisses me off and cheers me up but as a foreigner.

Here's the story, it's in Polish though so just translate it.

http://www.tvn24.pl/wiadomosci-z-kraju,3/zwyzywal-palestynczyka-internauci-rozpoznali-kim-jest,614046.html

He attacked a Palestinian in the store. It firefighter and erotic dancer

31-year-old man who abused a Palestinian in the city center was immediately recognized by Internet users. As it turned out, it includes dancer on evenings hen parties. The man himself reported to the police. He heard the accusation of insulting people on grounds of nationality and religious. The material "facts" TVN. Palestinian studying in Lodz was zwyzywany while shopping in the city center. "Call, chickens ..., zj Allah ...." - shouted in his direction 31-year-old man.

Mohammed Almughanni recorded the incident and posted a video on the social network. Internet users who have watched the movie almost 300 thousand. times immediately recognized the perpetrator, who abused the foreigner. - They sent me his name. I checked and he - he said Palestinian. 

When we live in a world where the Polish government is worryingly moving to the (undemocratic) nationalist right and the Danes pass laws to confiscate the property of refugees, it's so important that we imprison bigots or even just people who gob off like those racist shites on a bus.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 3

Â