Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

A friend of mine on Facebook yesterday liked some article about a liberal twitter person who had tweeted a satirical chart about gun ownership. The gun nuts didn't think she was being satirical and started abusing her. It then turned into a schoolyard argument about her now claiming it's satire, does she even know what satire is? And so on. Anyway here it is.

There is unbelievable stupidity out there. I'm not saying the liberal twitter person should be held up as some sort of beacon of intelligence either, far from it, but that there are people out there who have joined forces and perpetuate and encourage each others' ignorance, and hate for those who disagree. This feminist shirt thing is no different. I don't remember who said it, but it seems hardcore feminists have just taken the worst elements of men and expressed them to form their position and personality when discussing gender issues. 

Feminists taking on a science geek. I mean really folks. Pick your **** battles. As if an apology would even have sated these people. It's just bullying. Girls didn't like him in high school. They don't like him now. The jocks coming in to agree, the very same. He's an easy target, and a wrong target. 

And this is an unpopular view, but I don't think everyone is the same. I think black people are less likely to become good football managers than white people. I think women think grossly differently from men. They get pregnant. They have periods. Men don't do either of those things. There are differences. There are gay people. People who have sex with people that are the same sex. That's different. There are people with mental illness. There are people who grew up in a really bad family situation who were either abused or have been completely socially isolated who will never become CEO of a company, and more than likely become addicted to drugs. There are people born blind. There were people born female. And yes I'm comparing being female with being blind. That's exactly what I'm doing. There were men born who think with their penis all day long every single day of their life. Embrace your DNA and your circumstances and make the best of it. 

I don't think what has happened to the man above has been carried out by feminists. I think it's been done by bullies. He has been harassed online by bullies under a sort of cloak of feminist infallibility that makes it ok. I suppose my main point is that in the list of things are unequal in the world, feminism for me would be somewhere way down the bottom near criminalising giving bread to pigeons, but as they have such a large pool of people, loud people, with the internet, and say homeless people or people starving in Africa do not have such access, they are more likely to make news and have their opinions heard.

Imagine a starving African child looking at that picture and saying 'that man is sort of overweight, from eating too much and here I am starving to death. I demand an apology from that man and maybe some ensure plus cartons'. I think that that would be alright. Why don't they take their righteous indignation and use it for good rather than bullying for the sake of it? They could get a lot more respect for their plight if they showed a little compassion.

Edit: Had to make something a bit less racist

Edited by yillan
  • Like 3

Yes, there are differences, the problem is people (white blokes) have historically used largely negligible (or, indeed, non-existent) differences between people as a basis for subjugation and oppression. We still live in a society wherein racism and sexism are present, perhaps not as aggressively as the past but present none the less. Yer man with the shirt, for example, is probably a decent enough bloke but the shirt is an example of that casual sexism.  Should he be hounded for it? No, but it should be pointed out and people should learn from that presumably innocent mistake. It isn't a case of being 'oversensitive' (the usual sexist bollocks aimed at feminists), but aware. Ignorance is not an excuse.

People differ and they should be treated equally.

If the shirt had been ABOUT the "scantily clad women" I'd agree, but it was much more of a kind of celebration of graphic art, and was made by a woman, so I think this is exactly an example of someone being singled out for subjugation and oppression.

Give me the long-haired ESA crowd over the short back and sides NASA lot any day.

Yes, there are differences, the problem is people (white blokes) have historically used largely negligible (or, indeed, non-existent) differences between people as a basis for subjugation and oppression. We still live in a society wherein racism and sexism are present, perhaps not as aggressively as the past but present none the less. Yer man with the shirt, for example, is probably a decent enough bloke but the shirt is an example of that casual sexism. Should he be hounded for it? No, but it should be pointed out and people should learn from that presumably innocent mistake. It isn't a case of being 'oversensitive' (the usual sexist bollocks aimed at feminists), but aware. Ignorance is not an excuse.

People will always spot weaknesses in others and take advantage of that to their betterment. That is natural selection in action. I'm not condoning it per se, just pointing out that that is the way it is.

On topic, as it were, do you really think this guy deserved the kind of abuse he received for what was essentially, and in retrospect clearly, a harmless and unintentionally "ignorant" act? He seems like a nice guy, though we don't know that for fact I'm happy to take that at face value until proven otherwise, innocent until proven guilty. Should people be bullied for their stupidity? Should people be found guilty before given a chance to provide evidence to their innocence?

I know you're a staunch feminist CED and I take no umbridged with that, but I can't believe you are so lacking in compassion. As a liberal heart I find it upsetting that we are so quick to judge.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

This is soundbite rhetoric and largely meaningless.

All people are equal in some sense, but their interactions and successes in life will be tempered by their capacities and limitations, and in that sense they are not equal, nor should they expect they be treated as such.

Wearing a shirt with no naked women on is casual sexism?

I'd say it was a lack of professionalism on his part, not sexism.

I'd say it was just a garish shirt! The shitstorm that followed from bitter feminists and men's rights activists has been hilarious, if not unexpected nowadays

As has been covered before the shirt was designed by a female friend as a gift for him and he probably wore it for her.

Edited by Xela

I think black people are less likely to become good football managers than white people.

What are you suggesting here? Is there something inherent in white people that imbues them with the ability to manage that black people lack? I can understand the argument that the statement is true due to lack of opportunity arising from subtle, perhaps even unconscious, racism, but given its context in a paragraph about fundamental genetic differences between people, I think it needs clarification.

All people are equal in some sense, but their interactions and successes in life will be tempered by their capacities and limitations, and in that sense they are not equal, nor should they expect they be treated as such.

Agreed. People are different and should be treated differently depending on the circumstances. The old 'we're all the same' view is wrong. 

I meant equally in the broadest possible sense. Of course, people should be treated accordingly as individuals. For example, someone with a physical disability in a workplace can not be expected to do the same work as a non-disabled person (depending on the work) but they should not be discriminated against because of it e.g. the recent debate about a lower living wage for disabled people - the implication is they are of less value than a non-disabled people which is quite a troubling argument and nothing to do with treating people according to their abilities or otherwise.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

Totally disagree. If people think a scientist can't do his job in a loud shirt that's their problem. The working world is colourless enough as it is. What is "professionalism" other than doing your job well? It's not as if he was the appointed spokesman for ESA, he's a scientist.

Totally disagree. If people think a scientist can't do his job in a loud shirt that's their problem. The working world is colourless enough as it is. What is "professionalism" other than doing your job well? It's not as if he was the appointed spokesman for ESA, he's a scientist.

Part of me agrees with you, but for such a momentous occasion, he could have thought a little bit more. But the feminist shit storm has been madness.

Part of me agrees with you, but for such a momentous occasion, he could have thought a little bit more. But the feminist shit storm has been madness.

Feminists can be reassured that under Sharia law such a shirt would be outlawed because the Koran states that the human form cannot be depicted.

That is why mosques are decorated in those wonderful patterns and not depictions of the profit (peace be upon him).

Â