Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

But can't your incorrect preconceptions be alleviated by some correct information and experiences from people who have actually been to those countries.

Or are preconceptions unalterable?

But my point is if your preconception is that a place is dangerous, why on Earth would you want to go and see if your perception is correct?
If people who have actually visited the place tell you that your preconception is wrong. That it's not like you think it is. To stick by your preconception is daft and really annoys me.

Preconceptions can be good though, from a selfish level. I'd have no problem going to Colombia and I have looked into it in the past. I'd rather people think it was dangerous as that means less people go and it doesn't become ruined by tourism. Parts of SE Asia have been ruined by rampant tourism in recent times... the world is a lot smaller nowadays thanks to the internet.
Hadn't really thought of Colombia being dangerous tbh .... Read the f&c website and you'd never leave the country they imply everywhere is dangerous .... But it's mainly just about common sense wherever you go in the world

Keep hearing an advert for Spain about how they target foreign people driving cars ... So arguably Spain is the most dangerous place to visit :-)

Edited by tonyh29

Some women's sports are very watchable, like tennis and volleyball. But others just hurt my eyes, like football and basketball, they look really slow and clumsy.

• Like 1

Desperate to go Colombia, probably next year if I can afford it.

I want to go back ever since I left. I have this fear as Xela mentioned that everything will be ruined by tourism by the time I make it back. Parque Tayrona is paradise, but it will be lost no doubt about it in the coming years. 

• Like 1

I want to go back ever since I left. I have this fear as Xela mentioned that everything will be ruined by tourism by the time I make it back. Parque Tayrona is paradise, but it will be lost no doubt about it in the coming years. 

hey check your inbox.

Some women's sports are very watchable, like tennis and volleyball. But others just hurt my eyes, like football and basketball, they look really slow and clumsy.

Women's football is utterly shite.  They should televise the average pub league instead, it would be a better standard.

• Like 3

I'm just glad I got NK before they allowed foreigners to take their mobile phones and update Facebook status and twitter etc ... If I went back the magic of the place would be spoilt now im sure

Always wish I could have seen Russia before it had a McDonalds on every corner ... Imagine it was quite grim but that would have been part of the attraction

somebody asking me for drawings that I really shouldn't have to provide that take up loads of (admittedly self inflicted) time

not that I actually draw much these days, being a high flying senior executive type, but today, with no cadmonkeys in the office we were asked to draw.......a shelf

I explain that its a sheet of 24mm thick mdf, 200mm wide by 250mm long, a rectangle. Yes, he knows that but he still needs a drawing to show the chippy. Well ffs, if your chippy can't mentally picture a piece of mdf 200mm x 250mm or doesn't know how to stick it to a wall, you need to get yourself a new chippy

so I spent an hour drawing this thing in isometric with Ikea style exploded graphics of screw holes and screws and arrows to show the screw goes in the screw hole etc., rounded off with an Ikea style little man pointing at it

i'm likely going back end of the year or 2014...loved it. The danger is overhyped and the country is beautiful. And yes, everything is beautiful. So far it isn't ruined by OTT tourism either. 

Edited by b23avfc

As for Colombia, now that the government and FARC have reached a truce, even hiking through the mountains is safe® now.

I lived in Salento Quindio for the best part of two months and heard of zero problems, that would worry us anyway. The only two crimes I heard of (and if you live there you hear everything, because it's a small place) were the coffee shop owner's car getting stolen but by outsiders from the capital city who had come for the festival (and to rob his car) and a pretty horrific murder BUT domestic in the rural area and therefore not a tourist worry. Loads of hikers pass through there and go off for long hikes in the mountains and have a great time. Heck, the hikers steal more than the locals in that place.

You do have to be careful in the cities, but that's definitely the same in the UK

in stock? he has 40 large sheets of mdf, enough to make himself about 4,000 of the little things

of course if he's the sort of chippy that needs a drawing of a rectangle, he might not have a saw I suppose

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 1

Â