Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

40 minutes ago, Genie said:

Was Merthyr getting money from the EU being so run down?

Yes, yes it was. For arts projects and the like.

People had no jobs and were living in mouldy houses and the EU was funding art installations by Belgian students that wanted to contemporaries the cultural bridge between nations by making lamp posts in the style of Parisian underground signage.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

People had no jobs and were living in mouldy houses and the EU was funding art installations by Belgian students that wanted to contemporaries the cultural bridge between nations by making lamp posts in the style of Parisian underground signage.

Hmmm, better than nothing, slightly, possibly, possibly not.

8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Wales isn't depressing. It's one of the most spectacularly beautiful places on earth. 

Ripe for ethnic cleansing, mind. 

(Only kidding, lads...) 

Yeah we went there during the covid times when you couldn’t fly , was really scenic plenty to see and do 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Still feeling like shit, and now the missus is the same, so I did a covid test. Positive. 

No more than a week after having had the jab. Different variant, presumably. 

Hey ho. 

Why are people still testing for covid? 

AFAIK, there's no isolation required, other than the common sense of not wanting to pass any virus on, be it covid, flu, rhinovirus etc.

We don't test for those latter ones ...

14 hours ago, bickster said:

Nah, the Liverpool / Thatcher thing is utter bollocks peddled by the local Labour Party to this day. “Managed Decline” was a phrase that Geoffrey Howe proposed as solution for the Liverpool problem. Liverpool was a shithole, mass unemployment, loony left council and a huge amount of urban decay. It needed a lot of work but Thatcher didn’t agree with Howe, she decided to actually invest in the city. She appointed Hestletine as “Minister for Merseyside”, it was awarded the inaugural Garden Festival, they renovated the Albert Dock, they built Wavertree technology Park, the latter two of which are still a huge part of the Liverpool success story to this day.

I hate her with a passion, she was an evil cow but Liverpool (won’t agree with this) owe Thatcher for its renaissance. The evidence is there to this day.

I may have misremembered this, but I heard an interview with Heseltine and it’s less charitable to the witch than your telling. It is something like she didn’t give a toss either way, she just wanted the problem solved. Heseltine won the argument with Howe and she let him try it his way. So she said yes, but that’s about the extent of her involvement.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

I may have misremembered this, but I heard an interview with Heseltine and it’s less charitable to the witch than your telling. It is something like she didn’t give a toss either way, she just wanted the problem solved. Heseltine won the argument with Howe and she let him try it his way. So she said yes, but that’s about the extent of her involvement.

Quite possibly but history still says she did rather than didn’t. I’m not trying to be charitable to the evil witch, there are many many reasons to hate her as I (and you and lots of others) do and it was Heseltine that did all the leg work. But I’m not sure Heseltine talking about himself is that good a source either tbh. 

Been pushing down all day in rugeley and forecast is for it to carry on. Meant to be going to a bonfire and fireworks up the local cricket club.  Last thing I want to do is take kids out in this and the cricket club are not going to cancel because they lose their money .

5 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Wait till labour get in. All the money will go to lesbian groups then. 

its-almost-guaranteed-to-happen-adam.gif

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, sidcow said:

There is a difference between what is required by law and what you want to do. 

Personally I'd like to know if I've got it and I would stay in and avoid contact. 

Absolutely.

We have a 92 year old relative we do the shopping for. I’d prefer to know if I’ve got covid before I rock up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

There is a difference between what is required by law and what you want to do. 

Personally I'd like to know if I've got it and I would stay in and avoid contact. 

Same, my parents were due to visit tomorrow before heading to my grandparents (in their 80’s) straight after. By knowing I have Covid I’ve suggested we rearrange for next weekend.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Absolutely.

We have a 92 year old relative we do the shopping for. I’d prefer to know if I’ve got covid before I rock up.

Just wondering and I'd appreciate an honest answer - if you had a cough and a runny nose, would you show up if you tested negative?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Just wondering and I'd appreciate an honest answer - if you had a cough and a runny nose, would you show up if you tested negative?

Part of my job involves mixing with a lot of people. So I am exposed to all their sniffs and coughs and then in turn I potentially pass those sniffs and coughs on to the next large group of people.

One of my best friends is undergoing quite a lot of treatments for quite a lot of things. My mother is in a wheelchair and has respiratory problems. We have a 92 year old that we shop for and drink tea with.

The office I work in is relatively small, a stand alone private business, it includes lots of site visits some of which still have rules around covid and mask wearing etc..

I spent a week in hospital 6 weeks ago and I’m still recovering. My partner works a job where she has just had another vaccine as she counts as ‘front line’.

So knowing whether I have a sniffle, a full on cold, an off day, hay fever, or covid is really quite useful in helping me assess the amount of risk in planning out the various days of my week.

It’s not essential, legally I don’t need to be bothered about getting covid and taking it to work or just shrug about whether I do or don’t pass it to my friend. I’d prefer to be more informed.

That’s the honest answer.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Part of my job involves mixing with a lot of people. So I am exposed to all their sniffs and coughs and then in turn I potentially pass those sniffs and coughs on to the next large group of people.

One of my best friends is undergoing quite a lot of treatments for quite a lot of things. My mother is in a wheelchair and has respiratory problems. We have a 92 year old that we shop for and drink tea with.

The office I work in is relatively small, a stand alone private business, it includes lots of site visits some of which still have rules around covid and mask wearing etc..

I spent a week in hospital 6 weeks ago and I’m still recovering. My partner works a job where she has just had another vaccine as she counts as ‘front line’.

So knowing whether I have a sniffle, a full on cold, an off day, hay fever, or covid is really quite useful in helping me assess the amount of risk in planning out the various days of my week.

It’s not essential, legally I don’t need to be bothered about getting covid and taking it to work or just shrug about whether I do or don’t pass it to my friend. I’d prefer to be more informed.

That’s the honest answer.

Obviously only going to pick one thing out of this and hope that even if the recovery is not fast, it's still a recovery. 

• Like 3

My honest answer is I'd do a test to see if I can take time off work

I can be at deaths door with man flu but still feel the need to crack oo, I have that weird guilt over being ill and not going to work (I have it over holidays too)

The two times I've tested positive for corona in general I've been OK, definitely had worse colds, both times took a week off work without a care in the world

So when i have the sniffles I will work and I will test, the minute that test comes back positive I'm off, I'll feel exactly the same, I'll be just as sick but without that line I'm going to work

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

My honest answer is I'd do a test to see if I can take time off work

I can be at deaths door with man flu but still feel the need to crack oo, I have that weird guilt over being ill and not going to work (I have it over holidays too)

The two times I've tested positive for corona in general I've been OK, definitely had worse colds, both times took a week off work without a care in the world

So when i have the sniffles I will work and I will test, the minute that test comes back positive I'm off, I'll feel exactly the same, I'll be just as sick but without that line I'm going to work

It's a strange one isn't it.  I guess because there's been a pandemic it feels more legitimate to take time off if you test positive, even if you don't feel overly unwell?

My 11 yr old daughter has just had 2 friends staying overnight. One has just contacted us to say she's tested positive for covid. She  was so very mildly unwell that nobody noticed.

I'm not sure why her mom made her do a test. I'm not sure if her mom will keep her off school if she's basically OK. We're not bothered either way that we were in contact. 

I don't see how it's different to any other mild virus? If it had been my daughter testing positive (though I wouldn't do a test so we'd not know) I'd still send her into school if she was well enough to do so.

If she was ill, with whatever virus it was, I'd keep her off. 

Missus come back from weekend away AGAIN Butlins 90s weekend. I’ve been crippled with sciatica all week , daughter went poorly Friday night kept house in order struggled out last night in the shit weather to take them fireworks and she’s only been back 10 mins and gone arsy because I haven’t put enough dinner on.  I honestly felt like smacking her in the mouth . 

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Sad 1

Â