Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

1 hour ago, Genie said:

AI has been around for decades too, it’s not new. Video games where you played against the “computer” where using AI.

There’s this new FIFA thing in London where it’s a screen with Erling Haaland on (the fifa version) and it interacts with you. Like pretends to do keepy ups and stuff. 

It’s impressive, don’t get me wrong. But it’s not AI. It’s a guy in a motion capture suit. Yet it’s being labelled as this crazy example of AI

39 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

There’s this new FIFA thing in London where it’s a screen with Erling Haaland on (the fifa version) and it interacts with you. Like pretends to do keepy ups and stuff. 

It’s impressive, don’t get me wrong. But it’s not AI. It’s a guy in a motion capture suit. Yet it’s being labelled as this crazy example of AI

Yeah, but... what have you done with the real Stevo985?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Genie said:

AI has been around for decades too, it’s not new. Video games where you played against the “computer” where using AI.

It gets a bit philosophical when you start to talk about the meaning of AI, but computer game logic isn't AI. It's decision trees. Complex decision trees, with random elements, but it's not AI; while there are grey areas and what companies while claim is AI depends on whether they think they can get away with it on a sales brochure, I think most people would agree there needs to be some capacity for learning and adaptation, not simply following strictly programmed procedures.

22 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It gets a bit philosophical when you start to talk about the meaning of AI, but computer game logic isn't AI. It's decision trees. Complex decision trees, with random elements, but it's not AI; while there are grey areas and what companies while claim is AI depends on whether they think they can get away with it on a sales brochure, I think most people would agree there needs to be some capacity for learning and adaptation, not simply following strictly programmed procedures.

What they are calling AI at the moment are LLMs, not AI.

There is still no "intelligence".

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, limpid said:

What they are calling AI at the moment are LLMs, not AI.

There is still no "intelligence".

True enough there's not a real intelligence,  my understanding was that LLMs are a subcategory of AI though?

Every development until AI overpowers us will probably still have debates about what intelligence really is. There's a commonly repeated quote along the lines of "intelligence is what humans can do computers can't do yet".

Either way, I think it's fair to say that there's nothing in mainstream computer games (I'm adding that caveat as there's bound to be some niche tech demo) that has anything that's vaguely approaching ai.

13 hours ago, Chindie said:

Blender.

Blender is a free, and extremely powerful, piece of 3d modelling software. The kind of thing that, if you were skilled enough, you could use to make a CG movie from scratch, or you could just use it to make things that get used elsewhere - assets for games, models to be used in other VFX software. It's very good.

I've been tinkering with Blender for about 3, 4 years now, on and off, trying to learn 3d modelling skills for a hobby, for 3d printing. In that time I've picked up some stuff, but it's got a learning curve like a brick wall, and I find that it's very easy to forget the nuances of all the various bits if you aren't using them constantly, and it's one of those things where the software expects you to know exactly what you're doing, what all the jargon means, what terms are, etc etc. That means that, whenever I take a period away from it, the time I come back begins with hours of just getting used to it again.

Theres another issue though. Blender is quite popular - YouTube is full of tutorials, tips, tricks, time lapse videos. Great! Except... What I'm using Blender to do is not the thing that most YouTubers are using for, the numbers of creators using it to make 3d printable objects is very slim and the ones doing what I am, action figure parts, is nil (and even related fields like cosplay is thin on the ground). So you watch the other videos searching for applicable knowledge to what you're doing and skip the things irrelevant to you. Which is a nightmare. And then you discover that, really, the Blender YouTube community is less giving tutorials and more rattling through how many hot key shortcuts you can remember in as fast a time as possible, which makes following then nightmarish. And then you have the added issue of Blender having many add-ons (paid and free) that tutorials may or may not use, which changes the work flow for what they're 'demonstrating'.

I had today off, and decided to come back from an extended break to try to progress a hobby project that I have, quite honestly, started over dozens of times. That day off got wasted in all the shit above. And that's so demotivating I'm tempted to give up.

It sounds like you have a basis for a YouTube channel that can be monetised there!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

We're having a work social at Boom Battle Bar which describes it's activities as Augmented Reality. What does this mean because having looked at their website and some videos on YouTube, it just seems like ordinary everyday reality to me. 

They augment your reality with drinks

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

True enough there's not a real intelligence,  my understanding was that LLMs are a subcategory of AI though?

Every development until AI overpowers us will probably still have debates about what intelligence really is. There's a commonly repeated quote along the lines of "intelligence is what humans can do computers can't do yet".

Either way, I think it's fair to say that there's nothing in mainstream computer games (I'm adding that caveat as there's bound to be some niche tech demo) that has anything that's vaguely approaching ai.

LLMs have become categorised as AI, but they aren't intelligent, they are expert systems with a much larger knowledge base. They aren't even machine learning (which is much closer to intelligence as it can create new things rather than mixing up existing things).

But it does come down to the definition of intelligent. I might start to recognise systems as becoming intelligent when they can predict what I want, but even then, Derrne Brown can do that and it's a learned behaviour 🤷‍♂️

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, limpid said:

LLMs have become categorised as AI, but they aren't intelligent, they are expert systems with a much larger knowledge base. They aren't even machine learning (which is much closer to intelligence as it can create new things rather than mixing up existing things).

But it does come down to the definition of intelligent. I might start to recognise systems as becoming intelligent when they can predict what I want, but even then, Derrne Brown can do that and it's a learned behaviour 🤷‍♂️

I heard the military are using true AI to solve complex issues, cyber attacks etc. A handyman told me who works GCHQ. 😉

11 hours ago, sidcow said:

We're having a work social at Boom Battle Bar which describes it's activities as Augmented Reality. What does this mean because having looked at their website and some videos on YouTube, it just seems like ordinary everyday reality to me. 

The example I've experienced is a medical application that has a heads up display on a pair of glasses that can show a surgeon a slice of a CT scan of a patient while operating, and allowing them to scroll through stack of slices by tilting the head forward or back.  The reality of the OR is augmented by having something in front of you that you'd normally have to at least look away to see and probably move away to an HD display to look at.  Very cool.  The company also has an anatomy teaching application where you see the anatomy of a human in front of you and you can reach in and grab an organ and move it and rotate it in your hand.  You still see your own hand, unlike with a VR headset where your entire environment is virtual.

11 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

The example I've experienced is a medical application that has a heads up display on a pair of glasses that can show a surgeon a slice of a CT scan of a patient while operating, and allowing them to scroll through stack of slices by tilting the head forward or back.  The reality of the OR is augmented by having something in front of you that you'd normally have to at least look away to see and probably move away to an HD display to look at.  Very cool.  The company also has an anatomy teaching application where you see the anatomy of a human in front of you and you can reach in and grab an organ and move it and rotate it in your hand.  You still see your own hand, unlike with a VR headset where your entire environment is virtual.

Pfft. Our NHS has been using those for years. 

image.png.9837625b9606b6b6ea676a4f1ab75252.png

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, JoshVilla said:

Pisses me right off when I take a bite out of an onion ring and the whole piece of onion comes sliding out and I'm stuck with a hollow ring of batter.

This is my life. 

I really need to spend a load of money on tooth realignment. There is something wrong with my teeth, they're incapable of biting through anything with any kind of resistance. Bacon sandwiches are a nightmare unless the bacon is properly cooked i.e. Crispy. 

Shitty rubbery bacon, I'm just dragging the whole slice out of the bread.  Pisses me off so much. 

I always always eat pizza with knife and fork otherwise I'm just dragging the whole topping away from the pizza with the first bite. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

No offense to anyone here (see the forum title, please), but I cannot stand carefully sculpted beards—and also long beards, whether shaggy or carefully trimmed. I especially hate this shit -- the little "wedge" beard with the dicky little comb-forward. Did I say **** beards? (I have a beard sometimes, so I can say that.) Tired of lumbersexuality and men in crisis over their sad masculine fantasies. 

spacer.png

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 3

I do admire a good, tidy but not too tidy mustache, especially the sort English men wore in the first world war. I don't know why, but they always seems so debonair to me. Couthinho sometimes sports one like this. Handsome.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Marka Ragnos

2 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I do admire a good, tidy but not too tidy mustache, especially the sort English men wore in the first world war. I don't know why, but they always seems so debonair to me. Couthinho sometimes sports one like this. Handsome.

spacer.png

spacer.png

This chap looks a dapper fella

1600.jpg?width=1200&height=1200&quality=

• Haha 1

This cheers me and pisses me off. The side of our house can only be reached via a neighbour's property. When we moved in we asked them for access for a couple of weeks to be able to lay a patio, it stretched to 6 weeks and rightly so they were **** off. 

Now we have had a leaky roof and there has been investigative work to ascertain where it comes from and all investigative work is via a ladder on their property. The husband is a grump and his wife has actually been in tears over it. We need now to have scaffold erected on their property for a day to have a flue reflashed and that should resolve it. It pisses me off that we have to do this. It cheers me up that I am making my wife have this difficult job of talking to them. Well she deals on a daily basis with difficult conversations. She is talking to them now and I suspect drama. 

Legally they can't stop is but I don't want to pull out the words removed move until I need to. 

• Shocked 1

Â