Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

20 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Why does every DIY job always take longer and use more tools than originally expected? 

Just replacing a bathroom lock with (seemingly) like for like. Just a screwdriver, whip off the old one and put on the new one, the work of a few minutes? 

Oh, the screw holes are in slightly different places, need to get out the drill to create new pilot holes for the screw. 

Oh, the privacy latch spindle is too long so need to get out a clamp and hacksaw. 

Half an our later instead of 5 minutes I'm packing away drills, clamps, hacksaw, screwdrivers, folding table, old lock and screws. 

**** off DIY 

Did you not think about lining everything up and laying everything out before you started?   🤪

20 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Why does every DIY job always take longer and use more tools than originally expected?

What jobs use more than gaffer tape, silicone sealant, a screwdriver and WD40?

• Like 1

Ahh DIY. I'm  doing a bit myself since going way over budget on our kitchen extension. Done quite a few bits, actually fitted the skirting today, but needed a little help from the Mrs to fit a piece behind the radiator when I lifted it off the brackets.

Never again, she is a bit ocd and continued to try get it fitted perfect while I was trying to hold around 60kg of radiator.

Me:  "Can you just drop it behind, I can line it up after we put the rad back on"!!

Mrs:  No no, it's okay I want it on right.

Me :I'm not f***** Arnie, hurry the f*** up, ahhhhghhh!!! 😂

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, sidcow said:

Just replacing a bathroom lock with (seemingly) like for like. Just a screwdriver, whip off the old one and put on the new one, the work of a few minutes? 

Oh, the screw holes are in slightly different places, need to get out the drill to create new pilot holes for the screw. 

Oh, the privacy latch spindle is too long so need to get out a clamp and hacksaw. 

Half an our later instead of 5 minutes I'm packing away drills, clamps, hacksaw, screwdrivers, folding table, old lock and screws. 

**** off DIY 

We (she) decided that it would look good to replace the interior door handles. (Fair enough they are shit and from 1954)

Well apparently in 1954, the hardware was 1/8 inch shorter that what is required in 2023 so for the last 2 weeks I've been in exactly the same boat as you. Thought it would just be a screwdriver job - nope. Drill, file, oscillating tool, drive to the hardware store to get a circle saw for the drill, dance it all over the door, now I've got to wood fill around the door handle, sand, paint, finally borrowed a jig from a friend tonight and praying that helps.

Already got 40 hours on the clock on this one :bang:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Not sure how many times I need to tell my wife not to put cake in the fridge

She thinks it's saving the cream but it's not, it kills the cake

It’s tomatoes in our house. They taste shit from the fridge. I won the war with eggs though

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

It’s tomatoes in our house. They taste shit from the fridge. I won the war with eggs though

Yeah to be fair to her she knows about tomatoes and bananas 

I'm not a big egg eater so not too bothered about them, they're in our fridge

• Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

Yeah to be fair to her she knows about tomatoes and bananas 

I'm not a big egg eater so not too bothered about them, they're in our fridge

yeah I even won the don't put bananas with other fruit and especially not in the fridge one too

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

yeah I even won the don't put bananas with other fruit and especially not in the fridge one too

She does spit in your sandwiches though, so she might argue she won the war

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 29/04/2023 at 21:17, bickster said:

What jobs use more than gaffer tape, silicone sealant, a screwdriver and WD40?

Did you own the house I've just moved into before me?

• Haha 4

On 29/04/2023 at 22:01, foreveryoung said:

Ahh DIY. I'm  doing a bit myself since going way over budget on our kitchen extension. Done quite a few bits, actually fitted the skirting today, but needed a little help from the Mrs to fit a piece behind the radiator when I lifted it off the brackets.

Never again, she is a bit ocd and continued to try get it fitted perfect while I was trying to hold around 60kg of radiator.

Me:  "Can you just drop it behind, I can line it up after we put the rad back on"!!

Mrs:  No no, it's okay I want it on right.

Me :I'm not f***** Arnie, hurry the f*** up, ahhhhghhh!!! 😂

I've had to take all of the radiators off in my place to strip the wallpaper. **** me they're heavy!

At the age of 37 this is probably something I should have known.

• Like 1

On 29/04/2023 at 20:34, Rugeley Villa said:

It is absolute mayhem. Total disregard at that age, too.  Winds me bloody up but oh well .

Nah. Treasure it. You'll look back fondly.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bickster said:

I lost the battle with tomatoes. I also bought a special fruit bowl with a hangy thing for bananas. Its no use. 

"We're not buying from that shop again...the fruits gone bad" 

Â